cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Webpage loading and upload speed.

FIXED
Topsy
Dabbler

Problem with Webpage loading and upload speed.

Starting yesterday and getting noticeably worse this evening a problem loading web pages has developed.
I noticed it as web pages stalling on loading or a long delay before a page would start to load. On running some speed test
I get result like this -

BTW Performance Test. Download Speed 35.13 Mbps • Upload Speed 0.00 Mbps • Ping Latency 2216ms

Speedtest.net. Download Speed 35.63 Mbps • Upload Speed 0.24 Mbps • Ping 0.0

Speedtest.net. Latentcy Test Error

The download speed is normal, the upload speed is usually ~9.00 Mbps. I've tried rebooting the hub and my computer, that
didn't make any difference. I'm connected to the hub via Ethernet.

10 REPLIES 10
Topsy
Dabbler

Re: Problem with Webpage loading and upload speed.

UPDATE.

If I switch to wireless connection everything is working as normal. I've switched back and forth a couple of times and the problem does seem to occur only with the ethernet connection.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Topsy 

Try testing using a different Internet Browser.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Topsy
Dabbler

Switching browsers doesn't seem to change the results. Things have improved this morning, the ping latentcy has come back down to ~10ms, so web pages are loading normally but the upload speed is still way down ~0.30Mbps instead of ~9.0Mbps. Could this be a fault in the ethernet cable?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Topsy

If this is only occurring via ethernet, I would definitely suggest trying another cable if possible - also try a different ethernet port on the back of the router and ensure that any drivers required for your network adaptors/ethernet cards on your devices are up to date.

Best wishes

Dave

Topsy
Dabbler

Update.

I've tried a new ethernet cable and also switching the hub port I'm conecting to: It doesn't seemed to have made any difference to the performance I've been getting over the last couple of days.

There's some consistant anomalies between the Ethernet connection and WiFi.

On the BT Speed Test the upload speed is always 3 to 4 Mbps higher for WiFi, typically 8.5Mbps (WiFi) and 5.0Mbps (Ethernet).
The upload speed is the same for both WiFi and Ethernet ~ 34.5Mbps, although that speed is down ~1.25Mbps from what it was a couple of weeks back.

On the Thinkbroadband Trace Routhe test I typically get this for WiFi.
# Host                                                                      Sent    Recvd    Best    Avg    Worst
1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net        15       15          0ms    1ms    13ms
2 po4-31.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net                                15       15         0ms    1ms    14ms
3 linx4.ukcore.bt.net                                                15       15          0ms    1ms    8ms
4 core2-hu-0-12-0-7.southbank.ukcore.bt.net        15       15           0ms    0ms    1ms
5 be11.psb-ir01.plusnet.bt.net                                15       15          0ms    1ms    2ms

And typically just get this for Ethernet.
1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net        1        1            0ms     0ms    0ms

One last thing I've noticed, on the hub Information for Helpdesk Agents page the entry for Noise Margin is now -
13.9/18.1, it use to be 21.9/18.1.

My internet has certainly improved from what it was at the begining of the week with web page stalling and failing to load. Something is obviously not right though when the Upload speed is 35% higher on WiFi than Ethernet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Thanks for the update @Topsy 

That is really odd if WiFi is working better than an ethernet connection as it's normally the other way around.

I've just tested your fibre service and line and things this side look OK with your router in sync at a downstream line speed of 40mbps and upstream line speed of 10mbps.

Your download speed of 34.5mbps over WiFi and Ethernet I'd say is about right for a sync speed of 40mbps. It's odd again that your upload speed on WiFi is much higher than on Ethernet though. Are you testing using the same computer? 

Also the traceroute you've done also shows no issues with the latency. It may be worth carrying out a factory reset of the router by pushing a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back for 20 seconds. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Topsy
Dabbler

Update.

Did a reset of the Hub and everything back to normal as per a week ago.

BT speedtest upload. Normal
Thinkbroadband Traceroute. Normal
Helpdesk Agent Information. Noise margin back to 21.8/18.1

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Very strange, @Topsy.

Could you monitor this and keep us updated?

Best wishes

Dave

Topsy
Dabbler

Probably coincidentally, just before the problem started Virgin began installing cable in our street for FTTP and at the end of last week started cabling inside the flats for FTTP. Last month Hyperoptic also did cabling in our street though not our flats for FTTP. We must be living in a FTTP hotspot.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's possible that the two things are connected, @Topsy, but it would be very difficult to pinpoint the connection retrospectively.

Let us know how the connection looks over the next few days - we're happy to help if anything goes awry.

Best wishes

Dave