cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem upgrading to Fibre

mrben
Dabbler

Problem upgrading to Fibre

Yesterday (Monday 12th December) I was due to upgrade to fibre which I was told would take up to midnight to complete. At about 7.30pm the internet went offline and the phone went dead. Customer services told me there is a fault on the line (dis one leg in network). Openreach have been contacted to sort it on Wednesday (I hope). Assuming the upgrade has lead to the fault, I can't understand why it's not possible to revert to my old internet connection while the fault is sorted. After all, my internet and phone were working fine until 7.30pm last night (I can't believe Openreach were working on my line at that time). In other words, what makes the actual switch to fibre from non-fibre and why can't it be switched back again for a short period?

Anyway, I'm very frustrated as I have 3 children with no internet (one with severe autism who depends on the internet) and a wife who can't do any online shopping as Xmas approaches. 

And I still haven't received my router (second one dispatched yesterday, the first sent only after I asked where it is a week after ordering the upgrade). I ordered this upgrade on 30th November. I'm not happy and will be seeking a refund.

9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Problem upgrading to Fibre

Hi mrben,

I'm sorry to see about the line fault.

There's a few reasons that we're unable to reconnect you to ADSL in the meantime, the main one being that the "dis one leg in network" means that there's a physical disconnection somewhere in the line, that means there's literally no line we could connect that service to. Besides this when a fault is open on a line it prevents us from placing a "modify" order which is the process for requesting changes such as those between ADSL and fibre and vice versa, the reverse also applies to faults.

Once the fault is fixed we'll make sure the fibre order is progressed as quickly as possible.

Do feel free to keep communicating with me via this thread and I'll make sure we get a refund for the downtime and a good will gesture arranged for you after this has been resolved.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mrben
Dabbler

Thank you very much for the reply. I hate to moan so apologies for that. Your explanation makes perfect sense.
Openreach sorted something at the exchange this morning and I now have a phone line. My router also detects a high speed line but as of 11.30am it wouldn't connect. I'm not at home now so perhaps it's connected. Or maybe something else needs to be done to make it work.
Anyway, I look forward to getting back online so I don't have to keep tethering my mobile.
Kind regards, Ben
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My router also detects a high speed line but as of 11.30am it wouldn't connect.

Have you got a new router from PN ? or is your old router VDSL compatible ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrben
Dabbler

My existing router is VDSL compatable (1 year old - 200 Mbps) although it was giving me a few connection problems three weeks ago - which is what started the whole upgrade. I've been using an old (5 years) router for the last 3 weeks which was working until Monday but now detects no connection.
I'm still waiting for a router from PN. My original order wasn't actioned. One went missing. Still waiting for the second one to arrive.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No worries mrben,

I'm glad to see the line is working now, broadband diagnostics aren't indicating anything obvious but we're not seeing any failed connection attempts from the router either.

With that in mind can you power the router off for 30 minutes before powering back on, that should hopefully get you online. 

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mrben
Dabbler

Thanks Adam.
I will do as you say when I get home and get back to you.
Many thanks. Ben
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My existing router is VDSL compatable (1 year old - 200 Mbps) although it was giving me a few connection problems three weeks ago

If it's previously been used on an ADSL connection then it may well need to be reconfigured for VDSL. Some routers will auto detect and synch on either ADSL or VDSL but you will almost certainly need to configure the VLAN ID to 101 somewhere to get an internet connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrben
Dabbler

My new PN router arrived this afternoon and has saved the day. I'm now up and running and the family is happy.

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped with my issue, Ben  🙂

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Awesome, thanks for coming back to let us know. Thumbs_Up

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button