Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem swapping out Plusnet TG582n router for Honor 3 router

starchild
Grafter

Problem swapping out Plusnet TG582n router for Honor 3 router

Hi folks,

I'm having problems swapping out my TG582n Plusnet router for a new Honor 3 router. As the TG582n already connected to an Openreach ECI Telecom VDSL modem, then I wasn't expecting there to be too much trouble - simply move the VDSL modem "WAN cable" from TG582n to Honor 3. Unfortunately though, after moving to the Honor router, my web browser simply gets redirected to a BT Wholesale service information page telling me that my service provider is unable to accept my connection request. I've put the whole message at the end of this post. I cannot access the Internet at all.

To be honest, there's very few configuration options for the Honor router so I'm struggling to understand what could be wrong - there really is only access mode (set to PPPoE -  same as TG582n) and then the broadband account and password. I'm using the same password that I use for the Plusnet member centre - I think that's what I should use? I've also powered off both the modem and Honor router for a couple of hours, but still no joy.

I've read a few articles and posts but they appear to be very BT Internet specific and don't apply to Plusnet. In case it's relevant, I'm an original Freeonline customer so the account configured on the TG582n (and entered in the Honor 3 configuration) is username.freeonline.net. 

Anybody have any ideas? Here's the landing page that I get directed to:

SERVICE INFORMATION

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your internet browser and internet applications before attempting to reconnect. This may clear the issue immediately, if not then please select the appropriate action from list below.

• Your service provider is currently unable to accept your connection request, please wait and reattempt later or contact your service provider for more information.

Or

• You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain, check your user details.

Or

• You are testing your connection using bt_test_user@startup_domain. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider

Or

• You are testing your connection to your service provider using bt_test_user@domain. where "domain" is your Service Provider domain name. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider.

Or

• The access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down. Your service should be resumed soon. Please try again later or contact your Service Provider

Page maintained by BTWholesale

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Problem swapping out Plusnet TG582n router for Honor 3 router

I'm an original Freeonline customer so the account configured on the TG582n (and entered in the Honor 3 configuration) is username.freeonline.net. 

Are you sure that shouldn't be username@freeonline.net  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rhyn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

The user guide suggests that MisterW is correct.

starchild
Grafter

Sorry folks, that was a typo. I am indeed using username@freeonline.net.

There are a number of posts which suggest that being redirected to the BT Wholsesale page indicates that I am using the wrong username/password combination, however I can use the same combination to sign into the members centre so I'm stumped.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Generally you wouldn’t see the BT service information page if you got the password wrong, so the issue looks like it may be related to the username.

Just to confirm are you replacing the word username with your account username? Roll_eyes just checking. 

Also if you log into your account and go to the connection settings here https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband/connection-details does the login name show as yourusername@freeonline.net?

starchild
Grafter

Hi @Thrall,

Yes, I'm using my account name for username. Never worry about pointing out the obvious - it's always worth checking 😀

OK, so now I've got it working. I changed my password for my member centre account and noticed that my old password didn't meet the requirements for password security (Capital letters, numbers, etc). I wonder if that was the problem? Maybe the password was OK until I used it on the new router?

My old TG582n router simply gave up the ghost when I entered the new broadband password though! Although it could be pinged, it refused to show me the web UI - even after a complete router reset. Good job I got the new router connected!

Thanks all for reading and replying.