Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem accessing bbc.co.uk and other sites

FIXED
saitchy
Dabbler

Problem accessing bbc.co.uk and other sites

When I try to access bbc.co.uk I always get the error below. I retry a number of times, close the browser, try again and finally it connects.

This is very annoying. any idea why this might be happening?

Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 22.24.12.png

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problem accessing bbc.co.uk and other sites

@saitchy Check the time / date on your PC is correct as this can affect the validation of site certificates.

saitchy
Dabbler

I am 99% sure it, I will check later.

But why would it suddenly start happening when I switch ti Plusnet if it wasn't happening before? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair point, I'm only suggesting it as I assumed your image was taken at the time you posted it, and not at 22:24:12 yesterday as the name implies. What kind of router do you have, are you able to change the DNS Settings on it? If not then you can do a quick test by changing them in the Network Connection on Windows.

If you're not running Windows 10 post what you are running and we can provide the steps should you need them.

saitchy
Dabbler

Nah. I snapped the pic last night, just didn't upload it til this morning, so the time showing was correct.

I have the Plusnet Hub One and I am on an iMac running MacOS Catalina

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

OK, that's fair enough. But if you're still having issues you can set a DNS server on your client (iMac) by going to System Preferences > Network. Select your network connection if not already done so and click the Advanced button. Select the DNS tab and add 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as a DNS server, making sure its at the top of the list.

Once this is applied try the site(s) again to see if that make a difference. You may want to flush the DNS cache first, so use :

sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

from a terminal.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @saitchy, sorry to hear this.

When was the last time you had this DNS issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
saitchy
Dabbler

Thanks Mook, adding that Public DNS seems to have fixed the problem!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@saitchy Just remember that this 'fix' is only for your iMac any other devices you have on your network may well still have issues. To fix it properly you need to change the DNS server address(es) in your router, but not all routers support this.