Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem With Signal?

FIXED
Jayb1976
Hooked

Problem With Signal?

Tonight (21st Oct) my broadband signal has dropped out 3 times! Is there an issue in my area? Phone line seems fine.
Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Nikkishep82

Re: Problem With Signal?

My Broadband has just went off, I’ve tried everything to fix it.... I’ve also been having issues with it lately, not getting WiFi in other rooms of the house.
Jayb1976
Hooked

I presumed it might be to do with peak times but 3 times in a night is ridiculous!
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Fix

Hi @Jayb1976, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues.

I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see the disconnections from this end, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of sending an engineer, let us know once you've done the checks so we can progress the fault for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Nikkishep82,

I can see that you are currently speaking to one of our colleagues at the technical department.

Let us know please how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Jayb1976
Hooked

Hi the router says I'm receiving the recommended speeds.

I reset the channels back to the smart settings last night to see if that helped. It seems to have stabilised the signal at the moment.
I've carried out your checks before removing the faceplate on the master socket. Am I to leave my router attached to the test socket for a couple of days?

The speed I'm receiving is no different in the test socket to when I use the faceplate. I'm only getting roughly 30mb/s upstairs in my house and I'm unable to move the router anywhere else. This speed is an improvement since I went to fibre unlimited extra last week as before I was only receiving about 20mb/s.

Does the connection still need time to settle?

Does the
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Jayb1976 

There are two issues here:

1. If Plusnet are seeing drops then that is nothing to do with how good your wireless performance is. By plugging in to the test socket you are eliminating any internal wiring so if it no longer drops then you have a problem with your internal wiring, which lies outside of the responsibility of Plusnet. So leave it in the test socket for several days to see if the drops go away.

2. The first thing to try when having problems with your wireless is to separate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 Try each band in turn and use the best. If that doesn't work then come back for further advice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jayb1976
Hooked

Firstly I already stated the drops stopped after reverting back to the smart band settings, I've had no drops since doing this late yesterday.

Secondly using the test socket has made no difference to my performance from using the regular socket. I was only really enquiring how long I was to leave it in the test socket.

I only moved onto Fibre unlimited extra a few days ago, so I presume there is a period of days for everything to settle.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Jayb1976 

If you want to believe that changing your smart band settings cures line drops then fair enough.

If you are happy with paying for Fibre extra and only getting 30Mbps  from you wireless connection then again, ignore my previous post.

For the record, I am just another Plusnet customer trying to help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jayb1976
Hooked

All I can say is I've had no issues since doing this. I know changing the channels doesn't always bring stability so this is why I reverted back to the smart settings as these are what I've previously used over the last couple of years with plusnet.
Jayb1976
Hooked

30mbs is all I'm getting upstairs, not in the rest of the house. I'm just trying to get the best I can upstairs, that's why I'm following your advice and looking into separating the band frequencies.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Jayb1976 

We wouldn't be able to guarantee you a Wireless signal upstairs (or anywhere for that matter, mores the pity) - a Wired connection is the only type which we are able to guarantee on both speeds and stability. 

Changing you Wireless channels and splitting the frequencies are the best things we can advise on our router to ensure you are getting the best possible Wireless experience. 

Some people have found that Power Line Adapters, alternate Routers, WiFi Boosters et al. have helped them achieve their desired Wireless connections. Please note, however, that we are unable to offer assistance with 3rd party tech within your local network beyond providing authentication credentials. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

LisaR84
Dabbler

I have the exact same problem and it drops out 3-4 times a night. Not very good when trying to watch something on netflix!!! There must be an issue somewhere if quite a few people have same issue. My speed has also dropped from 37mbps to 25mbps
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @LisaR84,

I'm sorry that your connection is dropping. I've had a look into this now and have replied on your thread here.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team