cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priorities Totally Wrong!

buseng12
Grafter

Priorities Totally Wrong!

Just had some junk mail from P/N trying to flog me Youview TV  for a fiver a month. If you want the "+" version it will cost £50 to activate.
It's oh so special for fibre unlimited customs, whoopee doo!
Perhaps P/N should concentrate more on providing something that resembles a "high speed" fibre broadband service that is reliable & constant instead.
Not one where your speed drops almost on a daily basis without good reason because DLM throws it's toys out of the pram & then never recovers.
Like I have lost 15 meg over the last few weeks as documented elsewhere but not getting anywhere.
Seemingly  started as a G-INP issue with  an ECI modem/Huawei G-INP cabinet.
Got worse with Huawei modem with lastest firmware.
Now where's that shredder for the junk mail?
17 REPLIES 17
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: Priorities Totally Wrong!

Why do people assume that because they are having problems with their broadband that everyone is? i have been with PN for 3 years on the Fibre product and got a estimate off 66 meg, and i have always got 72 meg.
AndyH
Grafter

I did suggest you take up the option of an engineer as it looks like there is some kind of issue on your line. I would take up Plusnet's offer of the engineer, rather than complaining about your line's performance...
dg06
Grafter

How can you blame PN for issues relating to Openreach?
NedLudd
Grafter

Understandable as OR live on the Planet Zog and are only contactable by Superman!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
buseng12
Grafter

@ Dhaos.
Just read through this forum & see how many people are having speed related issues?
@ AndyH.
  Engineers will not come out just to reset the DLM. If they find nothing wrong you are charged £60.
@ dg06.
P/N are my supplier, the people I pay. As you know no one can go direct to OR.
It's like if you buy a faulty product, it's down to the retailer to sort it out, not the manufacturer.
AndyH
Grafter

As I've explained on the other thread, DLM being reset will not help you unless your syncing at the top of your band. You probably have an underlying issue that has caused the banding and error correction.
You need an engineer to check your line. There is no charge if you go through the faults process.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Engineers will not come out just to reset the DLM. If they find nothing wrong you are charged £60.

And if they DO find something wrong then your problems will be over! I was in a similar situation 6 months ago & the engineer's visit to reset the DLM also found a fault. Problem solved. Smiley
jsm51
Grafter

P/N are my supplier, the people I pay.

And PN have suggested that you get an engineer out to investigate. How can you slate PN's performance on sorting this problem when you don't follow the route they recommend to fix it?. As Andy H has said, there will be no charge as long as you show that you have eliminated the issues that could cause a wasted visit.
Just read through this forum & see how many people are having speed related issues?

The point is that most people do not have speed problems and you are looking at a skewed sample when you read the issues raised on the forum. To be realistic you have to remember that FTTC is built on the back of the telephony network that was designed in the early 20th century. It's a miracle that anyone gets the speeds we are talking about now. Things will go wrong and it would save everyone's blood pressure if people worked with the supplier to sort things out rather than reverting to rant mode unnecessarily.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: buseng12

@ AndyH.

Not necessarily.
If your connection's raw stats & graphs (ideally monitored/logged 24/7 for a reasonably prolonged period) definitely prove there is a line issue, a DLM reset probably won't be carried out until the fault has been found & fixed.

I had an intermittent HR fault caused by a corroded connection at the pole mounted DP that BT's & Plusnet's sporadic remote testing couldn't identify.
I had numerous engineer visits over an almost 11 month period until the fault was finally tracked down & repaired once & for all.
I was warned about, but not charged for a single visit as my connection's 24/7 stats/graphs proved there was indeed an external line fault.
My own line fault was the driver for me creating the first batch file scripted HG612 Modem Stats package - there was nothing else available for VDSL2 connections back then (2011).

My 1100m line length from the cab connection remained stable at around 30 Mbps DS sync speed for 7 months following the repair until I started to see the effects of increased crosstalk.
I even had 3 engineer visits to investigate the speed loss when crosstalk started to have an effect.
I wasn't charged for any of those visits either, perhaps because BT & PlusNet weren't fully aware of the effect crosstalk could/would have on VDSL2 connections at that time? (it was a couple of years ago).

buseng12
Grafter

Without  having too many threads on the go.
I assume unlocking & installing unlocked firmware on Huawei routers is "unofficial" in BT/OR's eyes.
Therefore if you show an engineer any created graphs or tables he will know that you have "interfered" with the equipment.
Doesn't that break some clause or agreement or something meaning you might well get charged on the grounds your installation is not standard?
Dhaos
Grafter

I wouldn't of thought so, that's like them saying that they will charge you if you are using a router/modem different than the one PN and OR supply.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@dhaos It's not the same for a start if you use your own Router / modem that is yours you purchased them BTO don't care what you do with your own stuff as long as it doesn't interfere with theirs,  you don't own the BTO modem that is their property therefore your messing with their equipment by unlocking it and adding different firmware which also isn't theirs, whether they would act upon it is a different matter, I guess it comes down to the engineer i suppose and whether they report it or not. 
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: buseng12

I assume unlocking & installing unlocked firmware on Huawei routers is "unofficial" in BT/OR's eyes.

I'm sure that's the case.

Therefore if you show an engineer any created graphs or tables he will know that you have "interfered" with the equipment.

If you tell him the stats were obtained from the supplied HG612, yes.

Doesn't that break some clause or agreement or something meaning you might well get charged on the grounds your installation is not standard?

It probably does break the Ts & Cs.
I was quite open about unlocking my HG612.
A few engineers were interested in what the modem's GUI showed & some were interested in the stats/graphs.
One engineer asked why I had a cable plugged into LAN2.
He mentioned the fact that my modem was unlocked & that I was able to view the stats & plot graphs from them in his official notes, but nothing came of it.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

At the end of the day, providing stats and graphs can assist in troubleshooting, the 'unlocking' is completely reversible if necessary (official firmware can be reloaded and the modem returns to 'as supplied').  If you purchase a BT modem then, like other alternatives, it's your property and you can do what you please with it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.