Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing up Fibre

alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Pricing up Fibre

I wondered if I wanted to upgrade my package to fibre to the cabenit or premises not wure whst its called, does anyone know how much would it cost? Im interested in doing it purely for the upload speeds with regards to gaming, but I don't want to be stuck with just 1mb upload though would I still have line rental costs on top?  Thanks in advance for any advice.
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pricing up Fibre

First check that your phone number can actually be connected to fibre, using this - BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
That will also give you a good idea of the predicted speeds if you did upgrade to fibre.

Then login to the Plusnet Member Centre, and click on the Product Change tab.
The first page "View your products", shows what Plusnet broadband and phone products that you currently have.
Click on the "[Change my products]" button, which will take you to a page of upgrade options and pricing available, specifically for your line.
Wink
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Nibiru

Give them a call if you are already an ADSL customer, they may sort you out a deal. They did for me  Roll_eyes
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just be aware that Plusnet have two products
Fibre - speeds 40/2
Fibre Extra 80/20
If upload is important to you you will need fibre extra but if the report from the Availability Tester is lower rthan 40Mb's then Plusnet won't offer 80/20 as "the computer says no"
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Click on the "[Change my products]" button, which will take you to a page of upgrade options and pricing available, specifically for your line.
Wink

Thanks Nibiru Smiley
Quote from: etdsaunders
Give them a call if you are already an ADSL customer, they may sort you out a deal. They did for me  Roll_eyes

Thanks Saunders I may yet give that a go.
Quote from: Oldjim
If upload is important to you you will need fibre extra but if the report from the Availability Tester is lower rthan 40Mb's then Plusnet won't offer 80/20 as "the computer says no"

Thanks oldjim, bummer max my exchange can handle is 37mb down and 6mb up so it looks like it may be no use to me, if the exchange is capable of 6mb upload then why do plusnet cap it at 1mb?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't know
You may wish to consider moving the BT as their present offer for 40/10 is rather good if you can live with a 40GB usage limit
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: alexemmaburns
if the exchange is capable of 6mb upload then why do plusnet cap it at 1mb?

They don't !, Plusnet fibre (40/2) is capped at 2Mbps.
Your current 1Mbps upload speed is what your ADSL2 connection is capable of, it only goes higher if you upgrade to "Annex M" or fibre.
The reason Plusnet sell you 40/2 rather than 40/10 (that many other ISPs sell),  it that it costs Plusnet less to provide customers with 40/2, and therefore it makes their headline fibre broadband price appear lower in their advertising !.  However that doesn't explain why Plusnet don't also sell a 40/10 option (at a slightly higher price) - as I'm sure that many people here would be interested to get the higher upload speed.
dnpark38
Rising Star

The first page "View your products", shows what Plusnet broadband and phone products that you currently have.
Wink

Did not offer me anything to change to from my 28 to40 / 5 to 7)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
dnpark38
Rising Star

However that doesn't explain why Plusnet don't also sell a 40/10 option (at a slightly higher price) - as I'm sure that many people here would be interested to get the higher upload speed.

PN do I'm charged for 40/20, actually get 32/5 my Account details state 28 to 40 / 5 to 7.
Changing to 40/2 is not available to me.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
dannyboy75
Rising Star

The reason Plusnet sell you 40/2 rather than 40/10 (that many other ISPs sell),  it that it costs Plusnet less to provide customers with 40/2, and therefore it makes their headline fibre broadband price appear lower in their advertising !.  However that doesn't explain why Plusnet don't also sell a 40/10 option (at a slightly higher price) - as I'm sure that many people here would be interested to get the higher upload speed.

I doubt they'd be able to justify a much higher price for 40/10 than 40/2, so most customers would probably end up going for 40/10. But PN likely don't want that if their profit margins are better on 40/2.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

I think the cheapest I seen with bt with unlimited usage is £15 a month but it says nothing about upload speeds Undecided virgin are offering £5 a month for 12 months which works out pretty much the same as what I pay p!usnet for adsl, £22 per month in total after 12 months it would rise to £36.99 but with plusnet at the end of contract adsl goes up to £32 per month so I may wait until contract ends with plusnet and go for virgin if they still have the same offer on.
Can I ask what annex m is? I haven't heard if tha,  would it benefit me on adsl?
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Quote from: alexemmaburns
Can I ask what annex m is? I haven't heard if tha,  would it benefit me on adsl?

It's a variant of ADSL2+ which allows you to sacrifice some of your download bandwidth, to give better upload bandwidth instead.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Thanks Danny is there a cost for that?
dannyboy75
Rising Star

It's not something I've ever really looked into, but as it's aimed primarily at small business users, I'd imagine it does cost more than standard ADSL 2+.
Just had a quick Google and apparently BT charge ISP's an extra £7 for Annex M services, so the additional cost passed on to the end user would probably be at least double that, at a guess.
It looks like the optimum speeds you could expect would be 16mbps down / 2.5 up.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I believe that PN will only offer Annex M on a Business account

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.