cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pretty much complete loss of service since 1am Friday morning

plusforums
Dabbler

Pretty much complete loss of service since 1am Friday morning

I've got the openreach modem and Techicolor modem combination from 2 years ago. Up until now no issues happy customer.

Now I have no sync on the modem 90% of the time. At times the connection will come back up for a 20 secs or a few minutes before I loose sync again. Its not the openreach fibre modem as I have borrowed a modem to eliminate that from the equation.

This morning its improved enough to actually post this message. I did a speed test only 1meg up 30 meg down 28 ms ping. But its still losing sync every few minutes. Its anyones guess as to how long this will carry on before I loose sync completely again. Plusnet support are saying 72 hours before faults team will contact me. I find this to be very poor. They are talking about an engineer visiting the house, I would have thought the engineer should visit the cabinet first to make sure all is well before having to come here. Can anyone on the board help me please?

4 REPLIES 4
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Pretty much complete loss of service since 1am Friday morning

Plusnet support are saying 72 hours before faults team will contact me.

Well, no. They will (or should be) saying that it could be up to 72 hours before someone contacts you. They don't wait 72 hours before doing anything they just don't guarantee a response quicker than that because it depends on their workload and when the fault actually occurred. I don't believe they work over the weekend but they should be in contact sometime Monday or early Tuesday.

I find this to be very poor.

Pretty standard for residential broadband. If you had a business package the response might be quicker but it's not reasonable in today's market to expect weekend coverage from a residential ISP (with a few, more expensive exceptions) and that's primarily what I think the 72 hours is covering off. Even if you got a weekend response from PN it's unlikely much would happen because their suppliers are unlikely to work at the weekend. 

They are talking about an engineer visiting the house, I would have thought the engineer should visit the cabinet first to make sure all is well before having to come here.

The engineer will go where they feel they need to go. You may have been told they want to visit your house simply to prepare you for the possibility. Or they may have run diagnostics that indicate that the fault is external to the cabinet. At this stage it's hard to say because it's unlikely anyone will look at the fault until Monday. Best thing is just to wait and try not to second-guess things.

plusforums
Dabbler

Yes I know its unfortunate to have a fault and report it just at the start of a weekend. But the internet is a 24/7 365 service, we all have lives and rely on it 24/7 365. Many of us also work weekends, it is not unheard of.

Anyway at 3pm today the sync came back. I had no notification from anyone if anything was done. The connection has been back since then although very slow with only 20 meg down and 2 meg up on speedtests. High pings. Slow websites. Support now have communicated a speed issue. I hope the service stays up but also want them to get to the root of the problem, which probably lies in the DSLAM in green cab! ( I borrowed another modem - same issue)

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line was disconnecting a lot over the weekend:

Since then it's been really stable, no drops in over 24 hours.

Testing your line isn't reporting any obvious faults, however the sync speed is lower than it should be:

Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 28.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 8.5 Mbps

Your fault report had come back from our suppliers advising they believed the fault was resolved, I've rejected this back to them and we should have an update within 72 hours, hopefully sooner.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
plusforums
Dabbler

I had a BT engineer visit on Friday. He confirmed the low speeds and found no fault with the line.

After his work he was getting on his tester 43 down 16 up.

This morning I have run a speed test and I am back to only 3.8 UP, 33.86 DOWN ! With 51.75 ms ping

Something must still be not right. Can your team help me with this?