Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powercuts and DLM

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Powercuts and DLM

Have had several power cuts since yesterday evening, some just seconds, others up to half an hour, the last being 07:00 this morning, a short on the 11Kv system somewhere locally seems the cause.
Amazed to find that DLM has not reduced my speed, nor has my IP profile been downgraded (thus far).
Has DLM been altered?, because less than the cuts I had last night would have seen me reduced in the past.
No hope that its switched off or broken, I suppose?
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Powercuts and DLM

As far as I'm aware it won't intervene if the issue is a one off.
Our testing isn't showing any issues or DLM changes either.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

After my initial post we lost power again, just returned, after a 9 hour powercut. Apart from feeling like living in the middle ages, broadband is still at the same speeds and remains unaffected by the further cut, so DLM seems to be able to cope. One long cut instead of the many last night is probably better for it anyway.
NedLudd
Grafter

As you are having power cuts it's quite likely that the cabinet is having cuts too. I guess BT have systems to handle this!
Geoff,
York.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

If the whole area your in is having power cuts then I assume DLM see's that and doesn't respond knowing it's not an individual line that is at fault , if the power cuts were just your property however then DLM would most likely do something even if its only to add minor interleaving.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

@NedLudd @Terranova667
Thanks for your replies. I wondered the same, but despite this power cut being seemingly widespread, our village had power at least some of the time when my road hadn't, and the cabinet being some distance away, and closer to the village isn't on the same substation for certain. I have had instances when the cabinet (and that part of the village) have been suffering a power cut, and I haven't, but usually its the other way around. Out in the sticks we are very prone to power cuts, often just a trip and auto reset, but almost as often, longer power cuts.
In the past I have seen my speeds cut back as a result but not invariably so, very hard to see a pattern to the DLM intervening. My cabinet doesn't like the modem in my ASUS DSL-AC68U and reacted against it, seemingly regardless of any setting changes over time. Using the supplied Huawei BTO modem has seen speed return but over many weeks. I get the feeling that DLM is far too slow to return speed that it has taken away, far more cautious than I would be if I was DLM.