cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Off & DLM

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Power Off & DLM

In what way are you being personally attacked? You take criticism far too personally, which is not a good thing. I suggest you take a step back before you end up writing something you might regret.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I take criticism fine - when it is justified. It''s misquotes, incorrect quotes, part quotes which are then twisted, and factually incorrect statements that I won't put up with. You just don't know when to let sleeping dogs lie do you.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: NedLudd
I've just updated the firmware in my Billion router. That involved two router reboots in fairly quick succession. The result is no real change in connection speeds!
Just thought I'd mention it!  Cool
No surprise to me. Perhaps it'll reassure those cowering behind their sofa that the Big Bad DLM Demon is not real  Grin
Or maybe tomorrow morning your line will resync and you'll lose some speed  Wink
NedLudd
Grafter

I'll let you know tomorrow then!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
What people are probably referring to is the line being rate adaptive - rather than DLM intervening.

no
DLM can intervene at any time.
People have been seeing DLM changes during the day lately, but even without those events, DLM has always been able to act at any time when it determines the line is having severe instability.
AndyH
Grafter

Source or evidence?
I've posted mine - you're just talking hot air if you cannot corroborate what you're saying.
NedLudd
Grafter

I'll let you know tomorrow then!  Wink

Up and down slightly faster -  <1 meg gain.
So, no change really then!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
AndyH
Grafter

So, no change really then!  Cheesy

Well that was unexpected....  Cool
NedLudd
Grafter

Not by me matey!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
simoncraddock
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Off topic - a bit - question
Given that profiles are sent from the central management system (at whatever level) why on earth can a reset only be carried out by an engineer visit to the cab

From what I've seen a DLM reset is done via a laptop and a BT Openreach portal they log into. I had one done in January and the engineer was sat outside my home in his van.
Anotherone
Champion

Yep, it's already been mentioned and noted Wink
Stoker
Rising Star

If you have an unlocked modem and reboot it via its menus (eg Maintenance / Device / Reboot on an HG612) does DLM see that differently to a power-off / on?
Anotherone
Champion

It's a reboot! What are you hoping to achieve by doing that?
Stoker
Rising Star

I want to resync to match actual sync speed to max achievable. Mine can vary by quite a lot; 20% or more on the upstream. I was advised to resync in my "come on DLM" thread.
Is there a way to do that without rebooting? I was hoping that a software reboot might be handled more gracefully between the modem and cab than a power off, so not seen as an unexpected loss of sync.
chrcoluk
Grafter

by cutting the power, the modem might send a dying gasp message to the dslam to indicate its a power cut issue (although apparently this has no affect on DLM), but also the UAS and other stats will be zeroed.  A dslam might see a high UAS and other stats as a sign of instability.  A reboot would also serve to zero the stats but I Still recommend cutting the power and waiting 30+ mins before recconecting.