Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Off & DLM

jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Power Off & DLM

My DLM was reset in our living room by the BTOR guy after we had to have a new line installed not too long ago,they do it with their phone to the exchange. Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
AndyH
Grafter

I edited my post before you posted about that. The engineers have an application on their laptop or iPhone which will perform a reset - DLM actually works by analysing the line data and sending the profile to the fibre cabinet, which gets applied to your line.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Grin Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Anotherone
What you may not have taken into account is the possibility of spurious interference (that also applies to Andrue's previous comments).
If you are suffering from any form of interference that does or may cause the connection to drop then DLM may act to try and stabilise the connection.
I took that into consideration and indeed mentioned it. I suppose if you happen to be swapping over the modem at the very time that interference springs up you could make things bad enough to trigger DLM action but that seems unlikely. As I wrote in my response what's more likely is that interference is a long standing feature of the line and DLM has long since adapted to it. A couple more events would be neither here nor there.
Really I don't think scaring people by portraying DLM like some demon, lurking in the shadows, just waiting to pounce at the slightest provocation is helpful. And I don't think it's accurate either. A few power cycles is very unlikely to provoke a DLM response in my opinion.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Andy with all due respect, you come on saying its not the OR advice, but then proceed to not quote that advice, its like you showing off. Communities like this thrive on people sharing information with each other, kitz forum is excellent for that, however you seem to be in some kind of isp vs end user brigade, and think its cool to let people know you have information but wont share it.
Why on earth would openreach have a NDA forbidding end users from knowing this information, so basically you are saying openreach do not want end users to know reccomended practice, you realise how silly that is?
Anyway, the proven way of not affecting DLM is to power off a modem abruptly whilst its still in sync (dont disconnect cable first) and then give it 2 15 min intervals (so 30 mins) before powering it on again whilst the DSL cable is still connected.  Even if this contradicts with the so called classified openreach recommendation this practice still works to avoid DLM action.
For the interests of others in this thread, joe garner originally wouldnt comment on this problem when I contacted him but when ofcom intervened he has promised to make certain information related to end user equipment (including DLM) publicly available, he said it was at the CP's request it wasnt public but after ofcom intervened he said it will happen later this year.  I dont know how it will be made public, whether CP's get forced to publish the information or OR will publish it directly.
Another change happening later this year is visiting engineers will be able to tell end users what modules the CP has ordered for the visit.  This is part of the changes designed to treat end users as customers.
AndyH
Grafter

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Where did you get the idea that there are NDAs on DLM? There are regular ISP briefings and it's up to the ISPs what they do with that information. DLM is not a top secret programme covered by the Official Secrets Act...
I cannot take screenshots of or publish Openreach documents (this is fairly normal practice when documents are marked 'do not repost'). However, I am allowed to regurgitate certain things which I do how and when I want. I chose to discuss most things in private because I am openly criticised by individuals like you on forums.
You might be surprised, but ISPs don't think there is a need to publish all the information from the DLM workshops. Quite simply, they feel there is no reason to confuse 99.999% of end users with technical information. This is their choice and you have to respect this, even if you don't agree with it.
I also have no idea what you're referring to about an OFCOM intervention. The regular briefings and meetings with Openreach often include representatives from OFCOM and I can see no reference to them being unhappy about the information ISPs have published.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: AndyH

Is that because you come across as though you are the only one that knows anything?
chrcoluk
Grafter

Where did you get the idea that there are NDAs on DLM? There are regular ISP briefings and it's up to the ISPs what they do with that information. DLM is not a top secret programme covered by the Official Secrets Act...
I cannot take screenshots of or publish Openreach documents (this is fairly normal practice when documents are marked 'do not repost'). However, I am allowed to regurgitate certain things which I do how and when I want. I chose to discuss most things in private because I am openly criticised by individuals like you on forums.
You might be surprised, but ISPs don't think there is a need to publish all the information from the DLM workshops. Quite simply, they feel there is no reason to confuse 99.999% of end users with technical information. This is their choice and you have to respect this, even if you don't agree with it.
I also have no idea what you're referring to about an OFCOM intervention. The regular briefings and meetings with Openreach often include representatives from OFCOM and I can see no reference to them being unhappy about the information ISPs have published.

I got the idea earlier in this thread where you stated you couldnt quote.
The confused end users thing is a unproven theory, users get confused when information is thrown out in scraps deliberatly with information witheld, I expect if you put a full detailed explanation in front of people the majority would understand it.  The main reason the information is not passed on is to keep support costs down.
Information related to end user equipment and relevant DLM information will be made public by the end of 2015.  The isp's will in your words "have to respect this".
Unless you think its a good idea to not publicise very basic information such as which devices have been tested on openreach FTTC equipment.  If you think ofcom are happy with the mess the g.inp rollout was, think again.
AndyH
Grafter

@ AO - Another unnecessary post from you that is quite personal in my opinion. You've posted quite a bit of incorrect information on this thread and when I try to correct what you've said, you take it far too personally.
@ chrcoluk - I suggest you re-read what I wrote because you're seeing things you want to see, rather than what I've actually posted. There are certain bits of information that Openreach ask their customers to refrain from disclosing (primarily as they are commercial sensitive and are part of their future plans that have not been disclosed to the market place - as a publicly traded company, there are rules on this).  With DLM, there aren't such restrictions about what's posted from the content provided - however the full presentations and briefings can not be posted.
chrcoluk
Grafter

the commercial sensitivity makes no sense, why?
Because any competing isp in the UK can become a openreach customer and get access to these documents.  Even virgin media can resell dsl services, and they actually did that up until recently when they sold off their dsl customer base.
I dont know exactly when ofcom will inform the isp's of the decision but they will hear about it this year.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
Because any competing isp in the UK can become a openreach customer and get access to these documents.  Even virgin media can resell dsl services, and they actually did that up until recently when they sold off their dsl customer base.

Not every ISP can become an Openreach customer - most ISPs are customers of BT Wholesale and not Openreach. Being an Openreach customer does also not give you access to various working or collaboration groups.
Openreach also do not sell a DSL service...
Quote from: chrcoluk
I dont know exactly when ofcom will inform the isp's of the decision but they will hear about it this year.

This makes no sense to me considering OR has held DLM workshops for the past 18 months. It's up to the ISPs whether they tell their customers how/why DLM works - there are no secrets there.
Anotherone
Champion

The commercial sensitivity relates to some of the exact detail about how DLM works, not that's any defence of AndyH and what's been said here. BT do not disclose every bit of detail of the DLM software.
@ AO - Another unnecessary post from you that is quite personal in my opinion. You've posted quite a bit of incorrect information on this thread and when I try to correct what you've said, you take it far too personally.

I think you've said enough AndyH, I've only posted one small piece if incorrect information it would seem, regarding Resets, which I'll address later. So let's go back to earlier in this thread.
@Andrue
Apologies for the brevity of my posts on Friday, as I was out on a mobile device, I couldn't quote the relevant bits, it was difficult at the time just to type words that were actually english. The bus driver only knew the accelerator and brake as start and stop devices Shocked
But I had intended to thank you for the kitz link you gave in reply #14 - whilst I'd seen some of that information elsewhere previously, I'd not seen all that detail and that contribution was one of the most useful bits in this thread.
You having posted that, AndyH then had the nerve to post this in reply #20
- if you could show where 30 minutes comes from and why you think it is correct.
It conflicts with Openreach information. I will see if I can post something else.

Let's just go back a few more posts, reply #7 -
That contradicts the advice given from OR and the recent changes they made to the DLM for MTBR.

How you have the nerve AndyH to respond to my post in a manner that implies someone will have some disaster befall them if they followed the advice i gave in reply #6
It does not contradict advice from OR - it may exceed the absolute minimum time to ensure that DLM won't hopefully react, but that is the whole point of giving precautionary advice.
Only when challenged by yet a 3rd poster, 2 others previous to mine, and after continuing to bleat
I cannot publish the documents and presentations for obvious reasons.

did you eventually provide a link in reply #18 to a previous thread where you posted reply #6
Even after reminding you of Andrue's link and the way you posted up to then, you had to attack me on the way
Just because I disagree with something you've said, does not mean I am dictatorial or talking rubbish. You come across as very insecure.

Not at all. I dislike being quoted out of context, and being told I've posted something that's incorrect when it wasn't.
It's very easy to quote things out of context which you did as far as the 30 seconds are concerned - the full context being
power cycling the Openreach modem (turning it off and then on) is a vital part of CP fault diagnosis process, and should be performed prior to submitting a fault report to Openreach or deciding that an engineer visit is required.

My highlighting. In other words, an issue has already been identified on the line, the user has already become aware of that, no doubt run a few tests and contacted the CP - a totally different scenario from just switching any modem off (without knowledge of possible existing potential problems) or indeed swapping modems. But unless you've had an engineering background, you might not appreciate the significant difference.
Quote from: Andrue
Quote from: Anotherone
If you are suffering from any form of interference that does or may cause the connection to drop then DLM may act to try and stabilise the connection.

I took that into consideration and indeed mentioned it. I suppose if you happen to be swapping over the modem at the very time that interference springs up you could make things bad enough to trigger DLM action but that seems unlikely............ A couple more events would be neither here nor there.

I'm surprised you posted that after the kitz link - that's precisely the point, a couple more events can make a big difference as I'm sure some users will testify and it's irrelevant as to whether any interference or other issues are present at that precise moment. It depends on all the DLM counters and Flags at the time.
I don't think any of us know, nor BT say, the way/order in which the DLM software looks a which flags and counters. You might think it would do so in a logical manner, but someone else's logic may be different and software can contain errors/bugs - and before anyone says that's unlikely, I say rhubarb, just look at the G.INP fiasco as an example.
Quote from: Andrue
Really I don't think scaring people by portraying DLM like some demon, lurking in the shadows, just waiting to pounce at the slightest provocation is helpful. And I don't think it's accurate either. A few power cycles is very unlikely to provoke a DLM response in my opinion.

It's not scaring people at all, it's being cautious. Fibre DLM is more aggressive than ADSL and there will be plenty of people who were/are on ADSL who will recall the consequences of being told  "oh just reboot it" to find their Target SNRM goes up, Interleaving applied, blah blah.
And without bothering to go looking there is at least one fibre user who wouldn't agree with you and suffered similar effects.
You should also remember that this is a public forum and lots of people outside Plusnet users can/will read all this and a significant number may well be using their own combined modem/routers that may not have the "dying gasp" function that would be beneficial in this sort of scenario.
You may wish to give "oh just switch it off and on" advice, but then you wouldn't be the one suffering any consequences.
I will continue to give precautionary advice, whatever AndyH or anyone else says. Oh, and whose post was it that was quoted at the start of that kitz thread  Grin
There's also a couple of other good reasons for being cautious by suggesting an hour, some users may not have carefully noted exactly when they powered off, get to say 29 minutes and think that's OK and clearly it isn't, also IIRC we were told that some of the counters/flags get reset after an hour but not IIR given any detail, whether that's still stands, I don't know, but in the absence of any definitive information, I'll continue to be cautious.
Oh, and as AndyH doesn't have the courtesy to respond to PMs to discuss points, then I'll correct him and point out that some Fibre trials were still going on as recently as this, as just one example .. a bit less than over 5 years ago.
AndyH
Grafter

I am going to save you from any embarrassment - but your post did make me laugh. I'll leave it at that...
Anotherone
Champion

Laugh all you like, I'll leave others to judge whether my advice is just precautionary in light of all the facts. It's certainly not contradictory to OR advice.
Right, Resets.
Resets are always done remotely by Openreach's DCoE (other than the automated system through an engineer's laptop/iPhone); the same goes for migrations.

Without wasting any time researching this, as this was also confirmed by jockwav, then I accept that saying Resets could only be done at the Cab was not correct  Embarrassed
As I recall, we were told that, on more than one occasion, by Plusnet staff some while back. Now maybe that was so they didn't get overwhelmed by requests for resets, as they do nevertheless have to be done by Openreach. Will that situation change so that CPs can do it themselves, I don't know, but I do hope so.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Andy dont over rely on openreach for all your expert analysis, the same company gave you wrong information on ECI modem g.inp capability.
Here is what is a fact not theory, some users such as adslmax only did one single reboot of their modem, exceeding the 30 sec advisory you stated and were hit by DLM.  Yet when the same guys waited 30mins the DLM didnt act.  There is documentation somewhere about DLM counting disconnections for 15 min intervals, hence the 30 min  advise.