Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential fault / setup problem

spaced
Dabbler

Potential fault / setup problem

Hello,

I've recently bought a Netgear DM200 router to replace the Plusnet router. Paired with a N66U, I've connected it to the WAN port and the internet filters through to my local network just fine.

However, I'm having strange or intermittent issues with several services. The weird thing is that it does work, but not everywhere.

For example:

1. Netflix doesn't load, and carrying out server tests internally via their app results in either a fully successful test (e.g., Can connect to Netflix Server 1-5, Internet connected), or an unsuccessful test (e.g. cannot connect to any Netflix Server 1-5, Internet connected).
  2. This is both on Wi-Fi and Ethernet.
  3. Amazon Android app doesn't work
  4. Nest doesn't connect
  5. eBay app doesn't work
  6. iPlayer doesn't work

Things that work are browsing the web, gaming, ssh to some private web servers, vpns, steam, etc.

Things i've tried:

1. Setting VLANID to 1, Used my Plusnet User/Password, and the other recommended settings
  2. Rebooting the router and modem several times
  3. Come off to 4G, all services work as normal
  4. Flushing DNS, and/or Setting DNS via N66U to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS)

Connecting to an OpenVPN via my N66U solves all the connection problems, however netflix detects a proxy and being constantly connected to a VPN isn't and ideal "fix".

Has anyone got any ideas? It's properly weird.

Tags (3)
13 REPLIES 13
spaced
Dabbler

Re: Potential fault / setup problem

Update:

It would appear that when performing speedtests - I have 0 upload?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Setting VLANID to 1

VLANID should be set to 101

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spaced
Dabbler

Thanks, i'll check this out however I think I do have it as 101 not 1 as I incorrectly mentioned. 

tibs01
Grafter
Fixes: 1

the vlan id is 101 im using the same modem with a linksys 1900acs

spaced
Dabbler

I'm using a VLANID of 101 and it's connected fine, with the internet filtering across my network.

Are there any other settings your using that might be worthwhile screenshotting?

spaced
Dabbler

Still having the problem and Plus Net aren't responding at all. Sigh.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @spaced , given you are having issues with 3rd party equipment I'm afraid there's very little we can do to aid you in this situation however I'm confident your thread is in the correct location to get support from our Community members. 
I've checked your connection regardless for any underlying issues and upon doing so your speeds do look to be below your current estimates with 27.6Mbps download getting to the router with your estimates being 30.3-42.7Mbps. Although I'm fairly confident this wouldn't be behind the issues you're experiencing as there's no sign of errors or issues with the connection bar the lack of speed which could be explained if you are say plugged into a extension socket as opposed to the master/test socket.

If you wish to begin troubleshooting the speed issue so we can work out the best course of action from here I'd advise plugging your router/modem into the optimal set-up and seeing if the missing speed returns. This would be done by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the speed falls within the estimates. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If you do wish to troubleshoot the missing speed please let us know how it goes. - Benj

spaced
Dabbler

Hey @BD. Thanks for the response.

We've had issues with the line previously and a BT engineer has been out to fix a complete outage before. The issue at that point was somewhere outside of our home either along the path to the cabinet or exchange. 

During that visit the engineer installed a brand new socket for our phone line which includes a filter. With that being essentially brand new and signed off by an engineer, I do wonder if that's the fault, but i'm willing to rule that out for the sake of this test case.

What is very unusual is that as soon as I connect to a VPN the services that worked previously return to normal, including netflix and other random apps like Amazon. (Makes no sense).

With that in mind I feel the problem lies outside of my network and somewhere along the plusnet server(s), DNS, or exchange with a weird routing issue to some DNS areas. 

Best wishes

spaced
Dabbler

It's also worth noting that when running speed test(s) internally to my network that my upload is essentially coming back as 0. I've tried the Google speed test and Speed test.net.

When I connect to a VPN then I get my upload back, all be it limited to the network i'm on (e.g. Wi Fi is slower than Ethernet for obvious reasons).

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @spaced

It looks like our tech team have picked this up as an active fault here.

Just update the ticket or get back in touch when it's convenient and we'll go from there.

Best wishes

Dave

spaced
Dabbler

Hello @RandallFlagg

I was concerned that my fault ticket wasn't being read, so hence coming here for assistance.

I'll run some further tests.

spaced
Dabbler

Absolutely no-one is replying to my fault call out from plus net. 

I have indicated the times that I am available twice, no response - had to call a 45 minute wait for your support.

This is an absolute disgrace. I came to plusnet to support a smaller friendlier business.

My internet connection is shocking.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @spaced, I am really sorry that you have not yet been updated on your fault.

I have picked this up and added an update to the ticket here for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team