cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Speed - Migrating Customer

feeps

Potential Speed - Migrating Customer

Hi, a bit a of read but any insight appreciated! 

Just signed up to switch from Sky to Plusnet, paid for the year upfront and now awaiting the switch date / router delivery.

Now, I've had a bit of a google and can't find anything that would resemble the issue I have.

Currently on Sky, I have sync'd in the past at 62mb down on a 3db SNR and 9.7mb up. But the BT checker (and the same one Plusnet use) say that I can never get more than 44mb to my home, so Plusnet advise that my sync speed will be 31-44 with 27mb as the bottom line. I check the BT tool quite often and the number hasn't really ever changed in the 3 years I've been in the house. 

I did have an issue recently on the Openreach side of things, where I had alot of FEC and CRC errors, so my SNR gradually increased to 8db and speed gradually decreased over about a 4 month perioud, going from 62 to 59 to 52 to 49 and then 43 (and 6mb up) which is at the point I called Sky to raise a fault (on a Monday), who were really good and got an OR engineer out the next day (a Tuesday).

When Openreach rocked up, he did the usual tests, installed a nice new master socket (5C or 6C?) and fixed the errors by changing something in the cab, returned to find it wasn't any better sync by no errors, did a DLSM reset and also a lift and shift to save OR coming out a second time. When he came back, ran a test via his tool, was synced at 42mb, did another DLSM reset, same speed. 

He didn't believe I used to sync at 62mb (for about 2 years!) as his tool was saying the max I could ever get was 45mb (which is what BTs tool says online). I said to him I was on 49mb on the Friday (he was at mine on the Tuesday) so how could the max I get be 45mb?! I also asked him on the line length while he was at my home, he gave a figure of around 820m, I guestimated it to be around 500-600m so I was well out on that one. My current line attention is 22.8.

Anyhow, roll on 2 weeks later, SNR has dropped back down from 6db (after the DLSM reset) to 3db and I am sync'd at 55mb (still on 6mb up, this hasn't moved), I feel this is probably where it will stay as the DLSM is happy after its 10 day settling period.

BTs site still says max is 45mb, PN which use the information say the same. Has anyone ever seen where the sync speed is higher than the estimated (rather than the other way around which you see a lot of)? 

What will happen come switch over time, is an IP profile applied based on the est speed? 

Regards,

feeps

Geek, Photographer, Gamer.
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 13

Re: Potential Speed - Migrating Customer

Hi @feeps

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm not too concerned about anything you've detailed in your post - it's not unusual for sync speeds to differ or for the speeds that are demonstrated on dslchecker to be different to actual speeds, either higher or lower.

I'd probably recommend waiting until this goes live and then seeing where you're at in terms of sync speed. Once the line has settled we'll have a better idea of whether the performance you're actually receiving is correct or whether we need to raise this with our suppliers.

Best wishes,

Dave

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Dave G
 Plusnet Help Team
feeps

Hi @RandallFlagg, thanks for the reply.

I agree, wait and see what happens post install is the most appropriate answer.

What I am saying is with the current provider I could prove with screenshots of my line / router stats to them that my sync speed was higher than the "estimated" for them to come out and fix the fault when it dropped.

I won't have that with PN and if I ring up customer service to mention about slow speeds, they will just say "you're in the range you signed up for" which is 31-44 and that BTs checker says I can't have more so there isn't an issue.

Like I said, I couldn't find anything on a google search or PN forums with a similar issue of getting faster speed than the checker is all.

Fretting a tad is all, I work from home so speed is vital! Very much looking forward to jumping ship, forums remind me of the good old BE There days (Be There)

Regards,

Aaron

feeps

Is this normal? Missing BB date? Huh

Your phone order

Your phone service will be active on 24th August 2018. Your order could complete at any time on this date, up to midnight. 

We can confirm that your phone number will be ***********

Your broadband order

The activation date for your broadband service is booked for . The service will be activated at any time on the day up until midnight.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Hi @feeps, I've had a look at this and can see the Broadband will go live on the same date as the phone order. Just looks like a system error not sending you the info.

If we can assist with anything else, please let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team