cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Speed - Migrating Customer

feeps
Grafter

Potential Speed - Migrating Customer

Hi, a bit a of read but any insight appreciated! 

Just signed up to switch from Sky to Plusnet, paid for the year upfront and now awaiting the switch date / router delivery.

Now, I've had a bit of a google and can't find anything that would resemble the issue I have.

Currently on Sky, I have sync'd in the past at 62mb down on a 3db SNR and 9.7mb up. But the BT checker (and the same one Plusnet use) say that I can never get more than 44mb to my home, so Plusnet advise that my sync speed will be 31-44 with 27mb as the bottom line. I check the BT tool quite often and the number hasn't really ever changed in the 3 years I've been in the house. 

I did have an issue recently on the Openreach side of things, where I had alot of FEC and CRC errors, so my SNR gradually increased to 8db and speed gradually decreased over about a 4 month perioud, going from 62 to 59 to 52 to 49 and then 43 (and 6mb up) which is at the point I called Sky to raise a fault (on a Monday), who were really good and got an OR engineer out the next day (a Tuesday).

When Openreach rocked up, he did the usual tests, installed a nice new master socket (5C or 6C?) and fixed the errors by changing something in the cab, returned to find it wasn't any better sync by no errors, did a DLSM reset and also a lift and shift to save OR coming out a second time. When he came back, ran a test via his tool, was synced at 42mb, did another DLSM reset, same speed. 

He didn't believe I used to sync at 62mb (for about 2 years!) as his tool was saying the max I could ever get was 45mb (which is what BTs tool says online). I said to him I was on 49mb on the Friday (he was at mine on the Tuesday) so how could the max I get be 45mb?! I also asked him on the line length while he was at my home, he gave a figure of around 820m, I guestimated it to be around 500-600m so I was well out on that one. My current line attention is 22.8.

Anyhow, roll on 2 weeks later, SNR has dropped back down from 6db (after the DLSM reset) to 3db and I am sync'd at 55mb (still on 6mb up, this hasn't moved), I feel this is probably where it will stay as the DLSM is happy after its 10 day settling period.

BTs site still says max is 45mb, PN which use the information say the same. Has anyone ever seen where the sync speed is higher than the estimated (rather than the other way around which you see a lot of)? 

What will happen come switch over time, is an IP profile applied based on the est speed? 

Regards,

feeps

Geek, Photographer, Gamer.
31 REPLIES 31
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Potential Speed - Migrating Customer

Hi @feeps

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm not too concerned about anything you've detailed in your post - it's not unusual for sync speeds to differ or for the speeds that are demonstrated on dslchecker to be different to actual speeds, either higher or lower.

I'd probably recommend waiting until this goes live and then seeing where you're at in terms of sync speed. Once the line has settled we'll have a better idea of whether the performance you're actually receiving is correct or whether we need to raise this with our suppliers.

Best wishes,

Dave

feeps
Grafter

Hi @RandallFlagg, thanks for the reply.

I agree, wait and see what happens post install is the most appropriate answer.

What I am saying is with the current provider I could prove with screenshots of my line / router stats to them that my sync speed was higher than the "estimated" for them to come out and fix the fault when it dropped.

I won't have that with PN and if I ring up customer service to mention about slow speeds, they will just say "you're in the range you signed up for" which is 31-44 and that BTs checker says I can't have more so there isn't an issue.

Like I said, I couldn't find anything on a google search or PN forums with a similar issue of getting faster speed than the checker is all.

Fretting a tad is all, I work from home so speed is vital! Very much looking forward to jumping ship, forums remind me of the good old BE There days (Be There)

Regards,

Aaron

feeps
Grafter

Is this normal? Missing BB date? Huh

Your phone order

Your phone service will be active on 24th August 2018. Your order could complete at any time on this date, up to midnight. 

We can confirm that your phone number will be ***********

Your broadband order

The activation date for your broadband service is booked for . The service will be activated at any time on the day up until midnight.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @feeps, I've had a look at this and can see the Broadband will go live on the same date as the phone order. Just looks like a system error not sending you the info.

If we can assist with anything else, please let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
feeps
Grafter

Today is the day, phone and BB switched over, all good on that front and no issues. Setup the BT Smart Hub 6 and all working well. Impressed with the seamless transition.

As suspected, I am synced at 39 / 7 which is in the middle of the "estimated" range. 

Day 1 syncDay 1 sync 

bt day 1 syncbt day 1 sync

Obviously will give it the 10 day settling period to drop me back onto the 3db profile, but after that, how much fuss am I going to have to make to get it back into the high 50's low 60's like it was on Sky? Also, synced at 7mb up, yet BT speed checker says 11mb. (speedtest.net says 6.5mb). Strange!

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Estimated line speed:44Mb (This may vary between 31Mb and 44Mb) - Checked on 2018-08-10 13:29:13

Current line speed:78 Mb

Grin 

Regards,

Feeps

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear all has gone well.

Fingers crossed the speeds picked up soon

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

There is no 10 day period on Fibre i wish this BS would stop, Fibre goes as fast as it can from the start, DLM will then make any changes it needs after 48hrs sooner if the line is unstable. 

Will have to see what happens if and when DLM puts the line on a 3db Profile which can be anything from a couple of days to a couple of months, all depends on when DLM feels the line is good enough.

feeps
Grafter

Thanks for your reply @Terranova667.

Day 3, line resynced at midnight :

0 Days, 11 Hours 31 Minutes 20 Seconds

7.00 Mbps / 45.76 Mbps

7001 / 46411

6.3 dB / 6.3 dB

22.1 dB

So if they line goes as fast as it can from the start, why was it at 39mb yet 2 days later it resyncs at 45mb? And as I mentioned, I was syncd at 62mb with Sky for 2 years... so how is 39mb as fast as it can from the start?

As mentioned in my first post re FEC / CEC errors causing SNR to spike and in-turn decreasing the sync speed up and down, OR engineer fixed and reset the DLM which put it at 42mb. Then 2 days later, re-synced to 45mb, then 2 days later re-synced to 49mb then 2 days after that re-synced to 52mb then 2 days after that re-synced at 55mb. 

That is an 8 day period where the line resynced at a higher rate at 12-1am, so how is the 10 day period on fibre bs? Huh

Regarding your second paragraph, if the line was on 3db before hand, why would it not go back to a 3db (the if part), and after a DLM reset, it took 4-6 days for 3db profile to kick back in. I would have thought it be the same, why do you think it would be months? Sad

Regards,
feeps
Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

feeps
Grafter

So it begins...

0 Days, 1 Hours 48 Minutes 38 Seconds

6.88 Mbps / 49.50 Mbps

6879 / 50327

6.2 dB / 5.1 dB

22 dB

First time I've known it to reboot mid morning rather than midnight though. Why the upload is dropping also... not a clue.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @feeps

After looking through the entirety of this thread, I'd like to point out that your previous suppliers is LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) meaning they have their own exchange equipment. Dependent on the distance to the cabinet your service was provided through this should not make a difference to the sync rate you are able to achieve.

After testing your line the sync rate for both the download speed and upload speed are within the estimated speeds however, we are detecting a potential fault towards your property.

Once the 10 days stabilization period has past, please raise a fault here and we can look at progressing to an engineers visit to confirm if the sync rate is the max achievable and if the potential fault is service effecting.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
feeps
Grafter

Thanks for the reply @Jubby

What potential fault does it entail? Not having any issues at the moment, ping seems okay, no disconnections (other than to re-sync at a lower snr).

I know Sky are LLU and use their own equipment at the exchange, not sure what that has to do with anything though, it's all the same stuff though at the end of the day!

Re, looking through entire thread, are you sure you did? Grin I did mention in my second post this :

Me :

What I am saying is with Sky I could prove with screenshots of my line / router stats to them that my sync speed was higher than the "estimated" for them to come out and fix the fault when it dropped.

I won't have that with Plusnet and if I ring up customer service to mention about slow speeds, they will just say "you're in the range you signed up for" which is 31-44 and that BTs checker says I can't have more so there isn't an issue.

You :

After testing your line the sync rate for both the download speed and upload speed are within the estimated speeds

Grin

10 day stabilisation period? The one @Terranova667 says doesn't exist? Funny

Regards,

feeps

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi again @feeps

The potential fault identified is an impairment in a copper joint with the fault location of customer apparatus, this means it is close or in your property.

The reason I stated that Sky are an LLU provider is that this could have some baring over the sync rate you are able to achieve but shouldn't as long as you are connected to the same cabinet.

I'm certain that I read the entity of the thread as I offered the option to raise a fault, if you have had a higher sync rate in the past there is nothing stopping us from investigating it further especially when a potential fault is identified. However, given the potential fault does not appear to be effecting the service it may be worth waiting until the 10 day stabilization period is up to see where the speed settles.

The 10 day stabilization period is something I would stand by, previously when I have booked an engineer to a customers property prior to the 10 day stabilization I have had 2 outcomes, 1 being the engineer did not carry out the work because of the period and 2 the sync has improved after the 10 day stabilization and the engineer had already attended not finding a fault.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
feeps
Grafter

Hi @Jubby

Yeah I am on the same cab as before (Cabinet 8 ) so expecting things to be the same sync, eventually, after the 10 day stabilisation period, which I agree does exist as I have seen it happen more than once.

I have no fault to raise at the moment, I am away for 2 weeks come Sunday so things will be all settled and dusted when I get back, hopefully on a 3db profile up and down and 55mb+ Wink In fact, unless the routers reported it wrong, the line attention is lower on the BT router than it was on Sky (22.1 vs 22.8 ). 

Strange that you're seeing a fault, as the OR engineer was only out a month ago and all was good when he left according to his checker device he was using, is this through fault identified through a GEA test? 

Thanks again for your time and looking into it, much appreciated. Thumbs_Up

Regards,

feeps

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

HI @feeps, It was a GEA Test that indicated an impairment. 

I have retested it again however and no fault is being detected. 

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team