cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible line fault and/or DLM reset required

Haffoc
Grafter

Possible line fault and/or DLM reset required

Last night my line dropped. My connection has gone from 67+/16 to 56/3.

On Tuesday I noticed two openreach engineers working on the cabinet I'm connected to so don't know if it's something they've caused 

Could someone check my line and do a DLM/profile reset please? I've lost 11mb down and 13mb up.

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Possible line fault and/or DLM reset required

Hi @Haffoc,

I'm sorry to hear that your speeds have dropped. I've tested your line but the test isn't picking up the cause of this issue.

I've tested your line and can see that the current download sync speed is within the estimates for line but the upload sync speed is significantly below the estimate.

For reference, the test result is as follows:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 53.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 544.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-06-15T10:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 50.3 Mbps 72.0 Mbps 64.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.4 Mbps 15.7 Mbps 13.3 Mbps
Up Time 522.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-06-28T09:19:08Z 2018-06-28T09:34:08Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

and the estimates for your line are as follows:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 70.6 49 19.8 13.6  

Our suppliers do not guarantee upload speeds so it can be difficult to get them to investigate and resolve these types of issues but we are more than happy to look into this for you and try and resolve the issue.

We're not able to request a remote DLM reset for this issue, so an engineer visit may be required. Although it's possible that the external engineer work is linked to this issue, I would recommend that you run through our troubleshooting checks first to rule out any issues within your property/equipment. Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Haffoc
Grafter

I've checked all the usual things, as well as checking with a different modem/router and cabling. 

BTW speed test says that the IP profile for your line is - 48.36 Mbps - this is nowhere near the speeds I have had for the last 5 years. It also suggests that DLM is limiting my speed well below its maximum. 

I have consistently synced at 67Mbps upwards for the last 5 years. There is no way that you can tell me that it is normal to suddenly lose almost 20Mbps up and 11Mbps down. 

This was something posted by Gandalf back in March when I asked for a line check.

From what I can see your profile updated slightly from 69mbps to 73mbps last Wednesday night.

Here is a copy of my connection stats from last year

large.jpg

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Haffoc,

Thank you very much for confirming that you have carried out the troubleshooting checks.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that this is normal but I do need to set expectations that we can't guarantee that our suppliers will resolve this as your download sync speed is within the line's estimates and they do not guarantee the upload speed. However, we are more than happy to investigate this for you and raise this over to our suppliers. With what you've said about the speed dropping significantly after you've seen engineers working at your local cabinet it sounds like it may be something relatively straightforward that is causing this issue but unfortunately our tests on this side aren't picking up the cause.

So that we can investigate this further, please can you report the issue here . If you add another comment to this post once you've done this we'll pick this back up ASAP.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Haffoc
Grafter

Thanks, I've reported the issue through the link you provided. 

I'm not sure what the Openreach engineers were doing, there were two of them and it involved accessing the double manhole in front of the cabinet as well as the cabinet itself. 

Haffoc
Grafter

Ok, I'm now syncing at closer to my old speeds, but my throughput hasn't improved. I'm only getting speeds of 48mbps so it looks like profiling or DLM is throttling my connection. 

BT Wholesale, speedtest, and thinkbroadband all give the same speed results of 47-48mbps on wired connection which is the speed I was getting when my sync dropped to 50mbps on Thursday. 

VDSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 69102 kbps 15862 kbps
Line Attenuation 18.6 db 25.2 db
Noise Margin 3.2 db 5.8 db

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Haffoc 

I can see from testing your connection that your sync speed is up at 69.3 Mbps. The GEA service test completed and no fault was found

This speed is within the Estimated Speed Range our Supplier has provided for your line.

Are you still noticing vastly slower throughput? 

Thanks

Haffoc
Grafter

I'm better than whatever affected my broadband last Wed, closer to the throughput I used to get at around 63-64mbps.

Any chance you can give my connection profile a bump?

Ndegwa
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi @Haffoc, the DLM should get the speed back up to where it used to be, we are limited to performing profile resets to connections that have had a logged fault with our suppliers and the DLM needs adjusting as a result.

Lee Y
 Plusnet Help Team