Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible fault?

JHewess
Grafter

Possible fault?

HI,
Can a Plusnet staff member please have a look at this. I have a ticket open (101015668), and have followed all steps in it. I've done the BT speedtester using just the OR modem, and it's thrown back a potential problem. However, when attempting to raise a fault via the Plusnet website, I'm just getting an error saying that I can't use the Broadband Troubleshooter to report a fault.
Keeping it brief, on Monday the 16th, just before 10pm my router (a TP-link 9980) resynced, and the ping shot up, and the connection speed dropped from the high 70's to the high 60's. I also started seeing considerably more packet loss. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f573bceb45238c722b2333ade3d04837-16-03-2015.html
I left it a couple of days to see what would happen, and thinking that it might be something that's been caused by the TP-Link, I switched back to the standard OR modem and plusnet router yesterday. I ran the BT tests before reconnecting the plusnet router. I then re-connected the plusnet router yesterday evening. Upon doing this noticed my ping dropped a little too, according to the TBB graph.
My line profile also appears to be going all over the place. The tests I ran yesterday evening, including a tap3 test reported it as 72.06. However, when I checked this morning, the Plusnet router was refusing to connect (red internet light), and upon looking at the TBB graph, it looked like there was a resync around 2.30am that the plusnet router didn't reconnect from. Tried rebooting the plusnet router a few times, still refused to connect, so unplugged the OR modem, and the router, left them for a few mins and re-connected. Plusnet router connected fine, but upon running another BT test, the line profile has dropped again back down to 65.51 and the ping has increased (though not by quite as much as previously). Graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f659cf8e747833d9ec30bd74dee06886-19-03-2015.html
The main thing is that, irrespective of the line profile, my throughput / speed is barely capable of sustaining 50mbps and has been flagged up as red on the BT tests. It's also concerning that it happened so suddenly, especially after weeks/months of stability. I know about crosstalk, I also know that I was the first person to be enabled in my cabinet in December and I realise that things don't stay at the full speed forever and I accept that, but would this effect ping so much? Could it be someone else being enabled in the cabinet and while doing so the engineer has 'knocked' something? I guess I'm just clutching at straws really. I've also done a QLT and there doesn't appear to be any noise on the line.
Seeing as I'm apparently unable to file a fault, could you please have a look and perhaps file one on my behalf?

thanks,
Justin
13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Possible fault?

There were some connection details missing from your account which will have prevented you from using the troubleshooter.
I've added those now so you should be able to use it now. Our testing isn't showing any immediate issues and DLM has your profile down as "0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"
Your current sync speed is 67mbps and while it has dropped its still within BT's ranges so it'll be difficult to get that raised as its within the estimates.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyH
Grafter

@ JHewess - Try dropping the connection from the router for 30 secs and re-connecting.
JHewess
Grafter

Thanks for that Matt, I'll give it a go. It's not that I'm unhappy with a connection of 67, far from it. It's more that the throughput itself is so much lower, the ping has jumped and more than doubled, and the packet loss is considerable, where previously it was non existent,  that concerns me. In fact, it was the BT tester itself, upon doing the further diagnostics,  that recommended filing a fault with my service provider because of the poor speeds.
Andy, thanks, I'll try that too and see what happens.
JHewess
Grafter

Andy, tried a disconnect and no discernable difference unfortunately.
AndyH
Grafter

I was wondering if interleaving has been turned up, but it's not shown up on the test Matthew did.
I would raise a fault, you should be able to I think. Mention on the ticket that there's packet loss and link your TBB BQM.
JHewess
Grafter

I was thinking interleaving too, but nothing mentions it. In fact while the tp-link we still connected I ran some telnet tests and a java stats program (which I forget the name of now) and they all suggested that interleaving was not enabled. This got my alarm bells ringing more than anything as to what then could be causing the ping hike and increases in packet loss. My spidey sense tells me that something, somewhere, has been a smidgen fubar'd.
Thanks for your help thus far. I'll submit a fault and see what happens...
AndyH
Grafter

It could be something in the cabinet itself as you've suggested. But you're right that something has happened somewhere.
Does putting your area code in here https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/ show any recent faults or maintenance?
JHewess
Grafter

I check that fairly regularly too. No faults listed recently, just some MSE migrations and some work at Faraday.
Edit
I should say too that none of these have had any discernable effect on my connection so far, and they do not appear to be linked to any issues I'm having (timing etc).
AndyH
Grafter

What about any neighbours you could ask?
I'd go through the fault process and see what comes back.
JHewess
Grafter

Lol, it's funny you should say that but the thought has occured. I'm quite OCD with my connection and have even done wifi scans to see if there are any new routers around that might indicate that someone has upgraded recently. Sad bugger, I know.  Cheesy
Considering the time the initial problem happened (just before 10am), that's where I'd put my money.
I'll submit a fault and see...
AndyH
Grafter

If you have access to your line stats, then those might also show something.
JHewess
Grafter

I did on the tp-link, but not currently as I've gone back to the OR modem and plusnet router.
Curiously, on the tp-link, while I was connected at 67/16, my max/attainable rate was still showing as 79/22, with an snr of 6 for both. Its my understanding that the snr is linked to the max rate rather than the current connection rate, though I could be wrong.
JHewess
Grafter

FWIW, @Matthew: my issue has now been resolved.
Excerp from a reply I posted on the g.inp thead:
[quote=JHewess]I've previously been running my connection on an ECI OR modem, and also a TP-Link W9980. Both have the same chipset. When I was initially switched on to fibre my connection was a solid 78/18, and was for months up until a couple of weeks ago when it dropped down to 67/16 ish, and the latency shot up from ~10 to ~25+. Turns out that it was definitely g.inp being enabled on my line, as you'll see below.

I even got in touch with TP-Link tech support to see when they'd likely be updating the firmware to support g.inp. I got several assurances that it was already supported, and while I could see in the stats that I was getting FEC errors with an interleaving depth of 0, I wasn't convinced. Ohh, by the by, if anyone else has this router, the tech said they were looking to add support for vectoring in Q1/Q2 this year.
I purchased an HG612 OR modem which arrived this morning, and I've now unlocked it. Connected it, and instantly my connection has gone back up to where it was, and a little better. My attainable rates are 81/25, and I'm now connected at 79/20, so a couple of Mbps better than it was. My SNR has also increased from 6 to 11. G.inp is reported as being enabled, and all is, so far, looking good. My BT line profile is has also gone back up. It was 65, and now it's 77.3.
I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes.
It doesn't appear to bode well for folks with ECI / Lantiq based modems on Huawei cabs. Both the ECI OR modem, and the TP-Link W9980 share the same chipset, and also shared the same symptoms. As I mentioned in the g.inp thread, it makes me wonder if they do report some sort of compatibility - e.g. the hardware's capable but the software isn't - but it's half baked?