Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible IP profile issue?

siegerson
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Possible IP profile issue?

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on why my speeds have dropped from switching from BT Infinity 2 to Plusnet Fibre Extra.

With BT I was able to achieve a solid 75+mbps down and 18-19mbps up however with Plusnet I can barely break 60mbps. I replaced the flat cable from the master socket to the modem with cat5e which brought the speed up from 45mbps but I still cant get the speeds I used to get. I'm very close to the cabinet so I assume distance shouldnt be an issue and all the internal wiring seems fine.

I've attached some screenshots of the modem stats and some speed tests (not sure why BT Wholesale test showed 240mbps, this is defiantly not the case).

Any tips on getting the most out of my connection would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Possible IP profile issue?

I think btwholesale is playing up because im also getting odd readings >> https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Odd-readings-from-btwholesale-speedtest/m-p/1513790

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@siegerson

The reason why you have slowed down is probably because of the way that the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) unit within the BT fibre cabinet works. This 'tunes' your line for the best possible speed compatible with the number of errors that need to be corrected. Providing you have a good connection this would probably reduce the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) to around 3dB and switch on other fault correcting features. This would increase the speed. When you transfer to another ISP, Openreach in their infinite wisdom reset the DLM such that the SNR starts again at 6dB and the tuning process has to start again from scratch. Currently yours is sitting at 6.2dB. Providing you have a decent line this will improve over the coming period and should get back to where it was. The time this takes tends to be a bit hit and miss. Unfortunately it's an automatic process so all you can do is not irritate it, so leave the router constantly connected and patiently wait.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

siegerson
Dabbler

Thanks,

I'll leave it connected and hopefully I'll see an improvement over the next couple of weeks.

On the modem stats, are the FEC and HEC errors normal or would this suggest a possible fault somewhere?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Another thing that will have been removed is G.INP, that will also give a healthy boost to your speeds when it is re-applied.
siegerson
Dabbler

@Browni I did see G.INP in dslstats but didnt know what it was:

G.INP:     Not enabled      Not enabled

Is there a way to get it enabled or is it just part of DLM?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

It's another part of DLM so patience is your only option unfortunately.
siegerson
Dabbler

Quick update:

Just checked the line speed again today on Plusnet's webstite and it looks like it's being capped.

On another note the SNR margin has dropped to 6.2 from 6.3db so an improvement all be it a small one.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

wrote:

Quick update:

Just checked the line speed again today on Plusnet's webstite and it looks like it's being capped.

On another note the SNR margin has dropped to 6.2 from 6.3db so an improvement all be it a small one.

Your first post states 6.2dB. It can also alter a bit during the day so I would say that there has been no change yet..

I can't work out why you assume that it is being capped from your screenshot, which is merely stating your current speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

siegerson
Dabbler

@Baldrick1

My bad, I just remebered seeing it a 6.3db at some point.

Also the screenshot was from here, I was under the impression that the 'current line speed' was an IP profile set by plusnet as they can reset it back to 78Mb?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

The 'current line speed' you refer to is only used on a minority of lines these days so unless you have a Static IP address it won't affect you.

Your lack of speed is simply down to your sync rate which will improve when xdB & G.INP kick in.

siegerson
Dabbler

@Browni Okay, Thanks for clearing that up. Smiley