cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ports

ljrogers65

Ports

Hello,
Since I moved from o2 Broadband to Plusnet Fibre I have had an increasing number of problems connecting to games on my Xbox One, the main problem being Fifa 16. I am able to connect to the internet, but connecting to the EA servers is causing a lot of problems, and even when I do connect the chances of me actually being able to connect to a game is about 1 in 20.
I had similar problems about three years ago when I was with Sky Broadband and they were able to change the channel I was on to put me on a channel which is best suited and I never had problems on my Xbox again. I did the same with Plusnet but sadly it only fixed the problem for about a day.
I have contacted EA a number of times over this and have told me to contact my internet provider (which is you) and to request a number of ports to be opened. The specific ones for my Xbox One and Fifa 16 are UDP (53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 3659, 4500) and TCP (53, 80, 3074, 3659). However, after contacting you over the phone I have been informed you are unable to carry this out for me apparently. I was told to visit portforward.com but I am very inexperienced in networking and don't understand a lot of what it says, and when I did manage to find something, apparently I need to buy a license of about £40 to carry the process out.
I am getting rather frustrated with this now and would really appreciate it if someone could help me by giving me a step by step guide as to what to do because I am not impressed at the moment. This internet is supposed to be better than the Sky Broadband I was on but in this case it isn't.
Thanks in advance for any help given.
Matt Rogers.
7 REPLIES 7
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Ports

Hi Smiley
The ports that are required to be opened are in the router itself in your home, this isn't something we can control from our side, I do see you were referred here by the agent you spoke to as this is generally an advanced topic.
I will make a short guide on how to do this for you once I get home(this will be around 10PM tonight) and have the router in front of me
ljrogers65

Hi Paul,
I really appreciate your quick reply and look forward to hearing from you later on,
Thanks!  Smiley
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Matt,
Really sorry about not getting back to you on this, I've not been back at mine since, but heading back tonight so will make sure this is updated Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is it actually necessary to forward ports 53 and 80? Surely those ports are only used as destinations for outgoing traffic, which is all allowed anyway.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ejs
Is it actually necessary to forward ports 53 and 80?
Yeah, I don't like the idea of a game setting up a public web server even if only temporarily. I like the idea of it setting up a public DNS server even less. Frankly neither seems very likely as they would conflict with home hosted web servers or (yuk) DNS servers. Back when I was playing games everything I played just used UPnP to set itself up and as long as you weren't trying to play public games from multiple local machines all was good.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've added the Hub One to my Port Forwarding guide in the Gaming section now:)
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,147977.msg1301754.html#msg1301754
ljrogers65

Hi,
Thanks a lot for spending the time to produce this! I have carried out almost all of the instructions successfully but have a problem right at the end!  After carrying out these instructions.
"From the "Game or Application" drop-down menu choose the application you just added(in my case Xbox Live)
From the "Device" drop-down menu choose the device this should be assigned to, in this case my Xbox One"
What happens is a message appears (attached below). I have tried doing it several times, and tried to edit the previous xbox live setting in there but no luck. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot Smiley
Matt