cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor upload speeds into London? (speedtest.net, FTP)

FIXED
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Poor upload speeds into London? (speedtest.net, FTP)

In past few weeks, I've noticed an intermittent issue where if I run speedtest.net choosing London servers, some of the servers only report 1.1 Mbps upload speed (download speed is fine).  I dismissed the low figure because when I chose a different London server, 8 Mbps is returned which is normal.

However, I also occasionally FTP from my location in Kent, to three other locations all within Greater London staying within the Plusnet network and have noticed at 2 of these 3 sites are FTTC, the transfers to London seem to be capped at around 170 KB/sec which is about 1.4 Mbps.  The 3rd site is Plusnet ADSL and achieves 920 KB/sec FTP speeds which is as good as my 55/10mb FTTC line permits on upload.

This morning, I ran speedtest against most of the London servers on speedtest.net and only 3 of them repeatedly return low 1.1 Mbps upload speed.

• Structured Communications (which I have used for years and never had issues in the past)
  • Redraw Internet
  • fdcservers.net

I've got trace routes to all the speedtest.net servers I have tried but cannot see any pattern or common gateway that could explain it.

I cannot rule out possibility that the low upload speeds reported by speedtest.net are unrelated to my FTP speed issue - I'm currently checking all equipment.

My current PN IP address hasn't changed or disconnected in last 102 days.  Rebooting my router and getting a new WAN IP address is one option to see if it makes a difference.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed anything similar?

Update: I just tried a VPN connection into a London endpoint on my PN FTTC connection, and when I run speedtest.net to Structure Communications server, the upload speed is about 8Mbps.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
2 REPLIES 2
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Poor upload speeds into London? (speedtest.net, FTP)

Fix

This evening, speedtest.net still reported 1.2 Mbps upload to the 3 mentioned London servers.

IP address 51.6.139.x

Stopped and restarted PPPoE connection without dropping DSL connection.  New IP address begins 91.125.205.x

speedtest.net upload speeds to above London servers back to normal, up to 8.8 Mbps.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Poor upload speeds into London? (speedtest.net, FTP)

Hi @bill888,

I'm glad to hear that the speeds gone back to normal. Please let us know if tissues persist and we'll be happy to pick this up for further investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team