cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor speeds and unable to communicate with Plusnet

steven22

Poor speeds and unable to communicate with Plusnet

Hello Plusnet. i am having terrible speeds with your broadband service over the last week the download speed has ranged from 14.53 to 29 but mostly staying in the high teens and my upload has been between 6.15 and 8.68. there is nothing on your website to say there is a problem in our area. my devices also loose connection quite regularly. 

when i have tried to contact you yesterday and today the online chat has been offline and i am unable to log into my account. i put in my user name and password and the screen just goes blank. i have also been unable to contact you via the phone. I need you to contact me and sort out the speed. My partner is a NHS worker who is currently working from home and this issue is causing her constant issues with communicating with the hospital she works for.

I have looked at your FAQ's and and looked on some of the threads in the community and tried some solutions but nothing works.

Please contact me immediately with a remedy. i will be recording my speeds every day as i have done for the last week and once 30 days are up and if this issue is not resolved i will be terminating my agreement.

Regards, Charlotte

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Poor speeds and unable to communicate with Plusnet

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi .... firstly let me state that I am a plusnet customer, just like you, l am not a staff member. .... so you can chose to discus the matter with us or ignore us its up to you.
Now ... you might have two different problems.
1. Depending on how far you are from a street cabinet then your speeds might be all you can get. Is the phone line quiet when you try to make a landline call? No crackles or lound hisses?
If yes .. log onto your plusnet member center page and instigate a phone line test.

2. Do you have the standard plusnet router modem? Is it showing the correct lights to show its connected ok?
How far (in the house) is it between the wireless (wifi) device and the router/modem ?
For example if the router/modem is downstairs in the hall and the laptop/phone/tablet is 2 or 3 floors away in a back bedroom then the wifi signal is not likely to reach. As an experiment bring them closer together.

3. Dont want whatever help we might be able to offer ... ring the plusnet sales line and select the option "thinking of leaving"
🙂 🙂
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@steven22  Welcome to the forum 

There are a few ways that you can address this. Be aware that chat is permanently off line so you are wasting your time trying that. 

1.  You can hang on the phone and try to get through.

2. You can wait and see if a Plusnet staffer comes along and picks up this post.

3. You can take your threatened approach, wait for Plusnet to contact you and possibly cancel after a month. Be aware that this is likely to result in cancellation charges and debt collection agencies if you don’t pay.

4. You can report a fault at https://faults.plus.net. Be aware that if the fault is on your side of the master socket you will be charged £65 and your problem possibly left unfixed.

5. You could change your approach, give details of your problem and ask fellow customers for advice. We might not be able to help but you never know and it could save you the £65 charge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @steven22 

As a start could you advise if the problematic speed tests are via WiFi or a wired connection?

If via WiFi, please do a Speedtest via a device connected to the router by an Ethernet cable.

Please post the results back here so the community can advise the best way forward.

Regards

Richard

steven22

thanks, See my responses below. this is all new to me

Hi .... firstly let me state that I am a plusnet customer, just like you, l am not a staff member. .... so you can chose to discus the matter with us or ignore us its up to you.
Now ... you might have two different problems.
1. Depending on how far you are from a street cabinet then your speeds might be all you can get. Is the phone line quiet when you try to make a landline call? No crackles or lound hisses? - no problems with the phone line. this issue has only been for the last few weeks now
If yes .. log onto your plusnet member center page and instigate a phone line test.

2. Do you have the standard plusnet router modem? Is it showing the correct lights to show its connected ok? yes, standard router and lights indicate all is ok
How far (in the house) is it between the wireless (wifi) device and the router/modem ? just in the next room, not far away at all
For example if the router/modem is downstairs in the hall and the laptop/phone/tablet is 2 or 3 floors away in a back bedroom then the wifi signal is not likely to reach. As an experiment bring them closer together.

3. Dont want whatever help we might be able to offer ... ring the plusnet sales line and select the option "thinking of leaving"
:slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: i wasnt online yesterday, kids and dogs sometimes take over

steven22

thanks Baldrick

i appreciate your advice. i do think it is very poor customer services from Plusnet on a whole when you cant even access talk to someone when they profess to be big on customer service. It is very frustrating spending a whole day trying to talk to someone and getting no where as you can imagine

You can hang on the phone and try to get through.  - i hung on for quite a while and will keep trying to get through

2. You can wait and see if a Plusnet staffer comes along and picks up this post. i was hoping they reviewed this community and will keep hoping

3. You can take your threatened approach, wait for Plusnet to contact you and possibly cancel after a month. Be aware that this is likely to result in cancellation charges and debt collection agencies if you don’t pay. i am aware they charge early cancellation fees but i am also aware they have a duty to provide the minimum service level and if this isn't rectified within 30 days I am within my rights to cancel without penalty 

4. You can report a fault at https://faults.plus.net. Be aware that if the fault is on your side of the master socket you will be charged £65 and your problem possibly left unfixed. thank you for this. i will do this

5. You could change your approach, give details of your problem and ask fellow customers for advice. We might not be able to help but you never know and it could save you the £65 charge. The router seems to be functioning ok otherwise there isn't too much more to say, the speeds are so bad that all my devices loose connection regularly and everything is very slow. this has only been an issue for the last couple of weeks, it all worked fine up to then. i have done the usual things, turning off the router and resetting. disconnecting all devices, checking the hub manager

steven22

Hi Richard

i had been trying via WiFi but tried via a cable this morning and it is even slower if you can believe it

Steve

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Ok
In that case follow the troubleshooting process at the link provided by @Baldrick1
Https://faults.plus.net
If you follow the process, especillay plugging the router into the test socket behind the BT master socket front plate, it should ensure there is no charge from Openreach.
It is important to rule out a fault in the houses internal telephone wiring.
Regards
Richard