cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor speed on fibre

jacquiindevon
Dabbler

Poor speed on fibre

Hi, I moved from being a long time user of BT over to Plusnet on 1st August with the lure of superfast fibre broadband roll-out to rural communities. Since the OR engineer came and set up the fibre and an OR modem I have had issues with my broadband speed and wireless connection using the Plusnet router supplied. After reading some of the very useful forum responses on both issues I am asking (as a complete novice in these things) about what to do next. I reported the speed issue to Plusnet on 14th August but no response from the technical team as yet.
I am supposed to be on unlimited fibre at 40mb but get on a good day with the wind behind me, about 6.36MB download and 1.08MB upload but this drops to about 3.50MB and less than 700KB during the early evening. I use a wired computer as the main computer for the home but have two teenage sons using laptops and playstations. I have had an email from Plus net saying the line speed can be 78MB but when I have completed a check through the BT wholesale site it said the maximum was around 7.46MB.
As I live down a lane about 1 mile from the exchange I don't expect to get 78MB but was hoping for more than the speed I was getting through BT on a 'regular' broadband service.
My second issue is with the Plus net 2704n router (sorry if this is on the wrong thread) it seems to have a very poor range and is constantly dropping and disconnecting so much so that it is impossible to use wireless devices for more than 10 mins.
So I guess my questions are - what is the position with less than expected speed - what is the best way forward? and on my second issue - does Plusnet provide another router without this wireless problem?
Thanks for any advice
17 REPLIES 17
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Poor speed on fibre

Hi welcome to the forums first and fore most you might want to remove your phone number from the  BT broadband Availability checker results not a good idea to have personal info like that on a public forum the Cabinet number is ok that helps, just load up the screen shot into Microsoft paint and scribble over the phone number and save it and repost.
As to the issue it looks very wrong to me you should be getting 40Mb no problem based on the Broadband availability checker results, it's almost as if you have been put on a ADSL account not fibre judging by the results this needs looking into ASAP, Support should have gotten back to you already hopefully someone on the CRT will see this and help.
for the second issue sadly there isn't another router that Plusnet use they do things on the very cheap,  they replaced the old router with the one you have the wi-fi on the old one was not much good either, if it becomes to much of an issue you may have to purchase a router at your own expense I'm sure members here can recommend a good replacement for you.
jacquiindevon
Dabbler

Thanks Terranova667 for your reply and advice. I did wonder if I had been put on the wrong account as the rates I am getting is suspiciously close to the maximum for ADSL. Thank you for the tip on routers will look at other forum topics.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I can see you've raised this to our Faults team and they've found a fault on the line.
We'll get this fixed as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jacquiindevon
Dabbler

An update on my slow broadband speed from Plusnet. - Nothing super, nothing fast.
I received an email last week to say there was a fault on the line and OR had been informed and would do something about it by the end of the week and I would be kept updated. But nothing has changed - still getting the same speed on "Superfast" as on standard broadband as BT (about 7.5MB although I should be getting 40MB!) I am now considering if I am able to move back to BT since I haven't received the service promised or paid for. Does anyone have experience of exiting a PN contract on the grounds that the service has been miss-sold?
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear it's still ongoing.
Our faults team are still working on this and we'll update you shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jacquiindevon
Dabbler

OK - latest happenings:
An OR phone engineer called on 24th August to say he was checking the line for faults -and called again after about 10 mins  to say everything was fine and super clear, though he couldn't help with broadband and I should speak with my supplier.
Then 30 mins later a Plus net staff member called to say there was still a problem with my line and he would ring me back - this didn't happen but I got another email message to say there was still a fault  on my line " battery connection" and a new ticket had been raised with OR and it would be fixed by this evening - well still no change.
So even though I have been on "super-fast" broadband for 26 days I have seen no better service than on BT standard broadband  - if you are reading this Matthew could you check to see what is going on? I am a patient customer but getting a bit fed up now. I do wonder if I have been put on the wrong banding and a switch needs switching or something - if however it is more complex then I'd rather know so I don't keep checking my speed in the vain jhope there will be an improvement.  - thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We're going to have to arrange a engineer visit to the property.
Can you respond to the fault ticket?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jacquiindevon
Dabbler

The latest installment of the apparently long running saga which seems to have no end:
After one month and still no super-fast anything.
I thought I might be getting somewhere with PN - Matthew Wheeler on this Forum asked me to respond the a fault ticket as an engineer was to visit. So I duly gave 3 possible dates - then another email from a member of the PN team saying that when they were booking the appointment OR said they had found another fault externally didn't need to come to my property and had a estimated repair time of 4th September. Well that day is here and NO CHANGE. in fact the broadband speed over the last couple of days seems to have DROPPED further so now I get around 6.5MB download and 1.07MB upload - I am no longer patient customer- now I am getting to be an angry customer and all this did not have to be the case - please please please SORT THIS OUT!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm really sorry to see this wasn't picked up.
Is Monday afternoon still okay for a engineer?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jacquiindevon
Dabbler

Hello Matthew. Yes - that would be fine. Although I am not sure why they need to visit as the last email I received from your support colleague said OR had found an external fault and did not need to visit the property. The OR man who installed the fibre , new box and modem said it was OK at the time - I am still wondering if I haven't just been put on the wrong account - could this be checked as well please.
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The account side of things is fine.
Unfortunately the first slot is Wednesday I'm afraid.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jacquiindevon
Dabbler

Hello Matthew I guess Wednesday afternoon it will have to be then - please confirm so I can arrange time off work,
jacquiindevon
Dabbler

Well latest news - the OR engineer came on 09/09/2015 and spent a long time up ladders along the lane to my property - she came to say there was a fault on the line but this had now been cleared. Unfortunately there is still no improvement - just done a speed test on my hard-wired computer (attached)  to router with nothing else accessing the internet and even with all phones unplugged from the house! Any ideas where I go next?
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you need to do the BT speedtest and then further diagnostics to see what the situation is