Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor router throughput

davemdew
Hooked

Poor router throughput

Ref ticket 171253232

Having raised the above support ticket on the 26th March, reporting poor speed / repeated drop outs I was hoping for more assistance from the 'we'll do you proud' company.

Two BT Openreach engineer visits later and we are still no further forward. Our super fast fibre connection is running a 4mb down 2mb up.

Plusnet seem unwilling to listen to the engineer on the phone telling them the line has no faults and it is our throughput profile that is incorrect.

Someone isn't telling me the truth, or seems unable to fix this problem. Having always used Plusnet as our ISP I am certainly thinking of leaving more than ever now.

How do we go about getting this resolved?

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Poor router throughput

Sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems @davemdew

I've checked your profile on our side and I can see it's set at 55000kbps so that's right.

Your line is testing at a downstream sync rate of 55mbps and upstream of 10mbps.

However, these drops won't be helping things:

As our tests aren't finding a definitive cause of the problems I think the next step is to arrange another engineer visit I'm afraid. I'll update your fault ticket to this effect shortly. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

EDIT: I've also raised an escalation with our suppliers BT Wholesale in light of the multiple engineer visits we've arranged without a resolution. We should hear back within 24 hours and our faults team will contact you when we do.

It's likely we'll need to arrange another visit but they'll be able to escalate this appropriately with Openreach to try to make sure a more experienced engineer is assigned and thoroughly investigates the line.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
davemdew
Hooked

Thank you for your reply @Gandalf.

However I fail to see how a third visit will help things, as today’s engineer has been in the ground outside, and the fibre cabinet up the road. Surely BT wouldn’t send engineers who didn’t know how to do their job!

Seems to me two parts of the same parent group trying to pass the problem back and forth without wanting to accept responsibility for fixing the problem.

Regards

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dave.

However I fail to see how a third visit will help things, as today’s engineer has been in the ground outside, and the fibre cabinet up the road. Surely BT wouldn’t send engineers who didn’t know how to do their job!

Unfortunately as your connection is intermittent and our tests aren't finding the cause of the problem, arranging another engineer visit is the only way forward we have with our suppliers. I do appreciate the frustration though.

Seems to me two parts of the same parent group trying to pass the problem back and forth without wanting to accept responsibility for fixing the problem.

Due to the way we have to work, our suppliers Openreach and BT Wholesale provide an equal service to all ISPs who use their services including ourselves.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@davemdew wrote:

Thank you for your reply @Gandalf.

Regards

Dave

Sadly quality of Open Reach engineers varies quite a bit there's those that have no clue apart from doing the very basic of tests, those that can't be bothered and do not want to fix anything and will just make any excuse and out right lie to be able to leave, and there are those that will do what they can to help spending hours if needs be to solve the issue.

i have had engineer visits in the past a couple with multiple visits and with all three types of engineer, it's pretty much a dice roll on what you get, plus Openreach get paid regardless if the engineer does their job or not so there is no incentive for them to ensure issues are found and get fixed.

davemdew
Hooked

Have there been any developments today with this?

Have you received the report back from Openreach with regards to yesterdays engineers visit?

Would like an update and restoration of service as soon as possible.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thank you for getting in touch with us @davemdew

We've not heard back from Wholesale with regards to the next steps so I'm chasing this up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Can you reply to your ticket or text message I've sent with your availability for another engineer visit?

Once booked we will request Wholesale to escalate this with Openreach.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
davemdew
Hooked

Replied via ticket.

Thursday 12th PM

Friday 13th AM or PM

Regards

David

davemdew
Hooked

@Gandalf

Was checking through router logs last night and there were a lot of 'block packet' reports.

Line Attenuation, Signal Attenuation & Noise Margin figures were also very high. Some up in the 70's.

Not sure if this makes any difference to the problem I am having, or whether plusnet are able to check these remotely.

If you could come back to me asap in response to the dates I supplied yesterday I would appreciate it.

Regards

Dave 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dave.

I've booked the engineers visit in for tomorrow morning for you.

And I've also requested our suppliers escalate this with Openreach ahead of the appointment.

Line Attenuation, Signal Attenuation & Noise Margin figures were also very high. Some up in the 70's.

It's likely these are high due to the connection drops you're experiencing.

The dynamic line management (DLM) software in your exchange would be increasing the noise margin in an attempt to stabilise the line.

Let us know how the visit goes tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
davemdew
Hooked

Thanks for that.

Who do I call if the engineer wants to speak to somebody while he is with us tomorrow?

The last two engineers have spoken to PN during their visits without any success or help so they informed me.

You refer to 'escalting' with your suppliers. What exactly is this meant to do?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Who do I call if the engineer wants to speak to somebody while he is with us tomorrow?

The last two engineers have spoken to PN during their visits without any success or help so they informed me.

The engineer will have the direct telephone number for our faults team on their job sheet.

You refer to 'escalting' with your suppliers. What exactly is this meant to do?

By raising an escalation with BT Wholesale, they would normally provide us with timely and pro-active updates. In addition, they would be able to escalate with the Openreach support teams before the appointment.

What actually happens when they escalate I'm not entirely sure, but they should be able to make sure an experienced engineer is assigned and the fault is thoroughly investigated.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dave.

I'm just following up here. From what I can see your connection has been stable since the last engineer visit. They completed what's known as a Lift and Shift at the cabinet to a different port.

Everything working now as you'd expect?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet