cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor router performance

Ridethesplit
Grafter

Poor router performance

Hi, I am having really poor router/hub performance. My fibre speed drops from 18mbps down to about 0.5mbps.
If I unplug the hub for 20 seconds or so, and reboot, my speeds are back up to 10+Mbps.
This is my second hub and I am less than impressed.
I am looking to buy a decent replacement that actually works, but I have found an issue.
My current hub connects via a DSL cable from the phone filter, into the back of the hub.
Most routers for sale now only have an input on the rear for a WAN (ethernet) cable.
How is this compatible?
Should my line from the filter be a WAN cable?Huh
Does anyone know of a reliable aftermarket router that is worth buying? Do I need the hub if using an aftermarket router?
32 REPLIES 32
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Poor router performance

The HH6 is to be recommended can be bought quite cheaply from a well known auction site, there is a excellent guide within this forum of how to configure it, written by one of our members , or i have used the fritzbox 7530 which i can recommend.you can ditch the hub its not needed with these two.    

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @Ridethesplit

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection. Tests on the line this morning have not picked up any underlying faults with the line itself, however the amount of errors on the line do appear to fluctuate quite a bit over the past few weeks. while this is visible, the source of this problem is not apparent, and could stem  from either yours, or Openreach's domain.

There's a few things we could try on your end first though, have a quick look through our Broadband Troubleshooting Guide, found here,to see whether you're able to rectify the issue. when testing, if you can, please remove the faceplate from your master socket, and connect your Plusnet Hub One directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Leave it there for 72 hours and see how you get on.

Our tests aren't picking up any substantial drops in speed, so if this problem continues, we can always raise the matter to Openreach themselves for further investigation.

KBD
Circuit ID: N/A Service ID:  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 35.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Target Fix Time  
Fault Report Advised N
Estimated Line Length In Metres 797.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 16:30 to 18:15
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap  
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-07-21T08:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 35.0 Mbps 35.0 Mbps 35.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.2 Mbps 9.5 Mbps 9.3 Mbps
Up Time 413.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.0 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-08-03T08:17:24.334+01:00 2021-08-03T08:32:24.334+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Ridethesplit
Grafter

Hi, many thanks for checking.
After some more diagnostics I can confirm this is a WiFi issue.
I have run some more tests and this morning I have
11.3mbps on 2.4ghz, but
32.1mbps on 5ghz.
Can anyone think of what would be causing such issues on 2.4ghz? The router is set to auto Chanel selection....
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @Ridethesplit 

With regards to "Most routers for sale now only have an input on the rear for a WAN (ethernet) cable", change your search to modem/router one that supports ADSL and VDSL (xDSL). Router only device requires a separate modem

Hope this helps

Dan.

Ridethesplit
Grafter

Hi Dan, thanks, this makes sense.
I assume the plusnet hub is a modem and router all in one.
So an alternative would be to get a good WiFi router and run from the plusnet hub via ethernet....
My issue seems to be poor 2.4ghz WiFi transmission from the plusnet hub.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Ridethesplit 

A router connected to a router is not a good idea as you will introduce Double NAT, which could cause issues with VPN and gaming.

I'd recommend either a replacement modem/router device or a Wireless Access Point. Using a BT HomeHub6 is a good plan as they are cheap and work well providing good WiFi coverage.

Plus Net are rolling out new firmware for the HubOne to improve WiFi. Check the Mr Router board for more info

Dan

Ridethesplit
Grafter

Adam, are you able to check again?
I have done more testing and my 2.4ghz wireless has dropped to 1mbps at this time of night.
My 5ghz is better at 15....
I have another router as a WAP from my hub now and that is also only able to deliver 1mbps on 2.4ghz.
This is nothing like the 35mbps I was receiving at lunchtime....
Ridethesplit
Grafter

So I've hooked up via ethernet and it's no better.
Dropped from 35 at lunch, to 1 now.
What's the crack? Seems to do this every evening at the moment.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Why not just log into the router and see what the sync speeds are? 

Is it extra traffic on your network slowing things down, or line speeds slowing down.

If the latter, have you got noise on the line? Dial 17070 option 2.

Ridethesplit
Grafter

Where do I see the sync speeds?
And I don't have a phone. Haven't for years.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Ridethesplit

I'm sorry to see you're still having speed issues.

Adam's not in the office tonight, but I've tested your line and the tests still aren't showing any problems. I can see your router's getting a download speed of 35mbps, an upload speed of 9.4mbps and there's been no drops for 2 days. 

Can you confirm the computer you've got connected by ethernet is plugged directly into the Hub One with no powerline adapters or switches in place? Also when you're running a test, are all other devices switched off and nothing running in the background on the computer you're testing from? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ridethesplit
Grafter

Hi, thanks for checking again.
I have a number of items connected via 2.4ghz such as security cameras, but only 2 phones and a fire tv stick connected via 5ghz. Surely none of my devices are using 34mb of internet download?
Is there a log I can check or interrogate.
Ridethesplit
Grafter

Also, my upload speed has remained constant at 8 to 9 Mbps throughout my issues .
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Ridethesplit  you can find details on how to log into the router and get stats and information to show line speeds and other useful information in the Help and Troubleshooting tab above.

A simple phone is one of the best troubleshooting tools you can have to help identify line issues, and can be picked up for less than £10 from a supermarket/Argos/B&Q and so on.

You say the issue is WiFi, so have you got any tools to help identify issues - a WiFi analyser/app and so on - is there anything local on the same channels, are you on the least congested channels. have you split 2.4 and 5Ghz bands?

Also no info on your extra router, how is it set up, is it interfering with the main router/competing with it, how is it connected?