cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance every evening now for the past month - Exchange congestion?

biglee1974
Grafter

Poor performance every evening now for the past month - Exchange congestion?

Im on a 40/20 connection.
Up until last month, and pretty much for the past year before that, it has been a pretty solid connection - never dropping too much even during peak hours (27+ download speeds easily).
Recently though, performance has plummeted during peak hours - usually around 7-8 download, but often even lower.
Here is a fairly typical broadband monitor graph. You can see the increase in average/max pings, and the increased packet loss during the peak hours.

Does anyone at plusnet have any ideas? It is VERY similar to a problem I had last year (congestion at the local exchange which required some balancing), although not quite as bad (speeds would drop to 2 back then).
Plusnet congestion issue? Local exchange congestion issue?
Cheers,
Lee.
29 REPLIES 29
Mathias
Grafter

Re: Poor performance every evening now for the past month - Exchange congestion?

chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Poor performance every evening now for the past month - Exchange congestion?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Is your exchange listed here under the heading "Supplier Capacity Upgrades"?
http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/
Mine is and I had issues prior to work been done last week.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
AndyH
Grafter

@ biglee1974 - It might be a localised issue again as two (out of five) connections from your exchange have breached planning thresholds. It depends on whether you're on one of those two. Can you try disconnecting/reconnecting your connection from your router admin page to see if that makes any difference?
biglee1974
Grafter

Georgelnx - my exchange (Glenrothes Central) is not listed there.
AndyH - I will try this tonight. Is there anything you can do about my exchange "breaching" planning thresholds? As in, notify them of customer problems so they can speed up a fix?
Cheers.
Lee.
AndyH
Grafter

I would raise it as a fault and mention the previous problem so that Plusnet can investigate it and report it to their suppliers.
The fact that the threshold has been breached means it's been picked up by Plusnet's suppliers and normally they resolve this (by increasing the capacity or rebalancing) within 72 hours. I can't see an estimated date for yours or any planned works, so it might be longer to resolve the issue. This is, of course, assuming that your issue is the specific one I am talking about.
biglee1974
Grafter

Yeah. Raising a fault, as this is getting really annoying again.
Cheers!
biglee1974
Grafter

Any chance of a forum mod giving the fault department a little prod? I raised a ticket on this issue on the 29th June, and I STILL haven't had any response. The problem persists. My peak-time speeds are not acceptable, and I would appreciate it being looked at.
Many thanks!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

forum mods are customers like yourself so can't prod a department unlike the staff on here
biglee1974
Grafter

Ok, I meant staff Smiley Those official boys with the logos and stuff!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

You've raised it as a complaint rather then a fault which is why it hasn't been picked up yet.
Do you have a live link to your ping graph?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
biglee1974
Grafter

Sorry about raising as a complaint as opposed to a fault - couldn't actually find a link for raising a fault!
Anyway, here is the live graph.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for the live link.
If you can raise a fault using the link below our faults team can look into it.
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
biglee1974
Grafter

You know, any time the fault time would like to respond to my ticket would be good Wink The turnaround these days has been absolutely horrendous.