cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor gaming please help if you can

Wulberto
Dabbler

Poor gaming please help if you can

Hi there, I've done every test I can think of they all seem fine, ping test trace routes and so on. When I play online gaming throughout the entire session I will see enemy's teleporting away. One minute we are in a gun fight the next he's morphed from the place I first seen him to ten feet away I'm not sure it's just lag because my ping to this particular server is 100ms. Not great but not terrible either the server is over seas. I honestly don't know I'm not at all clued up on this kinda thing but I did buy a new router last Saturday and this is some of the stats I was just wondering could these upstream errors be the problem the download errors as you can see are 0 any help would be appreciated thanks.IMG_1435.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Poor gaming please help if you can

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having a poor gaming experience.

My tests aren't detecting any issues.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 167.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-07-07T13:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 737.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.7 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2017-07-20T12:04:14Z 2017-07-20T12:19:14Z
Ingress Code Violation 1 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Are you using a wireless or wired connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wulberto
Dabbler

It's wireless so I expect intermittent lag it's part n parcel of mobile gaming, I have friends in the same game who have no such problem so I know it's not the games server. I also bought Ethernet adaptors for my iPad Pro so I could use it it wired and it's still the same. I've tried 3 different routers nothing changes.

i did one test I don't remember what it was called but it said something about problem detected between Colindale and test server when there was incoming fragmented packets.

i can get maybe a couple of normal games early in the morning until more foreign players sign in then the connection goes and is constantly terrible, I can also have a much better gaming experience using a vodaphone hotspot on the same game with the same device it's better than the wifi and that's also obviously a wireless connection.

im clueless everything seems fine on tests to the server ping trace my data being sent seems fine the problem seems to be with incoming data I thought maybe certain traffic packets were being dropped by the isp and the teleporting players was the game server trying to update my game state and predicting where the player should be on my screen so he morphs from one position to another without actually moving I honestly have no idea I'm not clued up at all I just know I can have a better game using a vodaphone mobile phones hotspot.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Mind posting a copy of the traceroute here?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wulberto
Dabbler

Sure..... to me it looks fine this was just run off my laptop on wireless to the game I'm talking abouts server. 

Im no sure what's up I just don't know how it's so bad when stats look good n as I said a mobile phone hotspot gives me a better connection to the game than the wifi, I've did everything lik wifi analysers for channel congestion  and made sure signal was solid it's was like between eh I think -40bds n -50dbs I'm stumped lol this was ping and trace to their serverIMG_1460.JPGIMG_1434.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it’s worth @Wulberto, you may find this useful for future use. If you are asked to provide a traceroute or ping stats like those above you can use:

tracert 192.136.44.49 > traceroute.txt 

The “> traceroute.txt” after the command will redirect the output to the text file (traceroute.txt) that you can either attach to your post or copy and paste from, so it might save you having to faff around with your camera. Smiley

Wulberto
Dabbler

Cheers bro I don't normally use laptop I was signed in on my iPad so just dragged laptop out the cupboard and snapped the pics to post.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Is this an American based server? The pings look pretty consistent, there aren't any dramatic spikes or similar showing. Did you take the tracerts at the point you were experiencing issues?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Retired300119
Dabbler

Hey, I'm getting the exact same issues as you are it seems. Low and stable ping, consistent down/up speeds but terrible gaming experience.

http://imgur.com/a/UI9Zm
http://imgur.com/a/QNwPw

http://imgur.com/a/S9IsC

I can't really see any issues, expect from the 2 unknown hosts with 100% packet loss and the 100% packet loss from 137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk.

I've done a wire trace and I'm getting lots of TTL exceeded errors, so I'm not sure if it's my router or not.

My internet seemed to work again yesterday when I changed DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) but I woke up this morning to poor internet again Sad

Wulberto
Dabbler

It's a Montreal based server this particular game only has 2 servers I'm aware of. I ran a ping plotter to the same server as the ping tests and I'm watching lag spikes just under 200ms it seems pretty consistently spiking and few higher and one I seen not sure what happened but it hit 2500 odds and huge packet loss. Not sure I think this might be normal but like the other guy on the thread said I'm seeing between 75 n 80 % packet loss at hop 3 hiper. I know servers pretty far but people in Russia and Iraq what's near,y double the distance of me have better connection 

Wulberto
Dabbler

Sorry about the quality of the pics just snapping them off laptop with iPad this is some screen shots of the ping plotter to the server IMG_1489.JPGIMG_1490.JPG

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Intermediate steps on tracerts can be ignored generally as long as the final hop completes in an expected timeframe, intermediate ones can show as timed out , packets dropped etc for numerous reasons such as the devices it's going through focussing on routing traffic and not replying to ping requests.

Is it only this 1 particular game you have problems with or is there any other online services too?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Wulberto

Depending on which version of Windows you have you might have a program called "Snipping Tool" - mine is under "Accessories" in the Start menu.

This allows you to take screen images of all or parts of your display.

Brian

Wulberto
Dabbler

I play first person shooter games and it is the same with other games aswell......... I ended up having to buy a mobile wifi 4g box to play the game I like because on the wifi it's basicly unplayable so I'm forced to pay for data when I already have unlimited fibre extra broadband, it's not the server because as I said I get a better connection from a 4g mobile wifi box...... I'm really passed trying to solve it and will more than likely just see out my contract and move to the non bt network isp in the uk.