Did you mean: 

Poor download speed

FIXED
yalbi
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Poor download speed

Hi

I am getting download speed less than half of what it should be. Video buffering etc..How do we proceed? 

Thanks

Ian Blay

12 REPLIES 12
yalbi
Dabbler

Re: Poor download speed

Earth to Plusnet, is there anyone there?

yalbi
Dabbler

Re: Poor download speed

I am getting a bit annoyed now. Didn't want to phone because I knew they would be busy, but clearly they can't even be bothered to help online. Are you there? Hello, HELLO!!

yalbi
Dabbler

Ignored post regarding slow download speed

Please look at my post from a couple of days ago which you have not even acknowledged.

Thanks (I think).

While you're here, it depends on the device I use. My chromebook gets about 7 mbps on fibre. Windows desktop on ethernet gets about 35 mbps.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Ignored post regarding slow download speed

Moderators Note

Topics merged.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Sounds like a WiFi issue then, if your wired connection is within the expected range.

All the speed tests needed to raise a fault should be done on a wired connection. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
yalbi
Dabbler

Fix

I give up. Thanks for that really helpful advice. 

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Hey @yalbi don't give up so quick, what @dvorak says would appear to be correct and it looks very much like a wireless issue here. If you've not done so already I would recommend that your separate your 2.4GHz and 5Ghz signals on your router. This might help you https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Once you've done this re-test your speed to see what, if any, difference it makes. If your Chromebook is capable of using the 5GHz range then that would be the preferred option as it has a higher throughput than the 2.4.

If all of the above fails then come back with some test results and a rundown of the hardware devices you're using.

yalbi
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. I sorted it myself in the end. Transpires it was the Chromebook. I had to get it to forget the network, then rebooted it. Rebooted modem/router again too. This worked. A quick message saying everything looks ok at our end would have been helpful, however 3 days later...Anyway it now works and thanks.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@yalbi You are welcome Smiley, however splitting the channels is always worthwhile regardless of the router vendor.

yalbi
Dabbler

Unfortunately I have one of these, Technicolor TG582n FTTC. I don't think it's possible. Looked through the menu and googled it. A shame and thanks for the suggestion.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @yalbi,

Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@yalbi the TG582N is a single band router (2.4GHz) so splitting the channels is not applicable.