cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor broadband speeds

jamescg1307
Dabbler

Re: Poor broadband speeds

@gnash how did the smart hub 6 work out ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @jamescg1307 Our tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal coming into your router however if you're having issues on a wired connection then I'd doubt this is a wireless issue. The screenshot you've posted of your speed test results are showing to be done on a wireless connection (There's a WiFi logo)

To investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation.

Once you have completed this, please report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've completed it and we'll make sure it is picked up as soon as possible.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamescg1307
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

I think you misread my last post, broadband speeds have ok recently.

however wireless performance is something else. I have followed all your suggestions of splitting the signal and making sure I am using wireless channels which no one else is using. Has made no difference.

keep getting “you iPad is not connected to the internet” have to refresh several time and it eventually loads the page.

pages are slow to load

Seems the plusnet router is not fit for purpose and hence does not allow me to use the full service I am paying for. There are countless posts saying the same thing.

gnash

Hi Jamescg1307,

I went the whole hog as I had nothing in a basement room.

Bought a Business Smart Hub 6, and then a triple BT Whole home wifi (£120). Installed the hub and then installed a d BT disc at each floor. From nothing in the basement to 52mbps, and each disc finds the strongest signal in the mesh system, you then get a continuity, and have had no problems since setting it up.

Fully recommend, but cant take the credit as the forum has amazing techies who can understand and explain why and how you can install such a system. But I imagine that  the BT home hub6  will be effective, so try that first. You can buy these on ebay for around £10, and it will make a difference.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @jamescg1307 Apologies for any confusion. From what I can see on the 23rd you've advised you're getting the same issues using a wired connection and on the 5th, you hadn't mentioned anything to suggest different other than you're also having WiFi issues. There are various environmental factors which can affect the wireless signal around your home and it isn't always possible to provide a free router that's fit for every situation and scenario.

If you've tried changing the wireless channels and splitting the 2.4GHz frequency away from the 5GHz frequency I'm not sure there's much more we can suggest bar looking at buying additional equipment such as a wireless booster, powerline adapter or replacing the router entirely with a more powerful 3rd party one.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamescg1307
Dabbler

Like I said Plusnet router is poor as there are lots of reports of this.

jamescg1307
Dabbler

@gnash sounds good. I have ordered a bt business smart hub 6 yesterday, just waiting for it to arrive.

The business hub has a few more settings unlocked I think like being able to specify your own dns servers (which is where I think some of the problems lie).

Will see how it goes when it arrives.

jamescg1307
Dabbler

So I have had no problems with the BT Smart Hub 6 since installing it.

Therefore the plusnet hub is not fit for purpose.