Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor WiFi/speed affecting TV?

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Poor WiFi/speed affecting TV?

I have stumbled on this thread while looking for any known problems

I regularly got 17 mbs which enable me to buy a Smart TV and have a Youview Box all of which have run nigh on perfectly for 6 months or so

I say "perfectly" because when I first switch to WiFi TV (Now TV or Amazon) the picture is pixelated for about 10 seconds and then "boom" it becomes brilliant - but that aside no problems

Suddenly I have problems and the WiFi signal and speed have become totally erratic never above 17 that I have recorded and as low as 3 mbs. Needless to say the Wifi fed TV has become unwatchable as it is either "out of focus" or you sit waiting for the inevitable

I read last week that there was a power cut in my Postcode but it did not affect my property but I wonder if "the green box" may have been affected in the other half of the Postcode / Town .

Maybe totally coincidental but if anyone can point me to a possible fix that would be great as I would like to return to the status quo . Many thanks

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue.

14 REPLIES 14
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Poor WiFi/speed affecting TV?

Moderator's note:

Moved to it's own thread for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Does the same issue occur if using a wired connection?

Just thinking 1st you would need to know whether you were dealing with a WiFi or connection issue.

WiFi can be really unpredictable eg. a neighbor's device might have started using the WiFi channel you've been using and is interfering.

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi and thanks for the reply

My problem is I am a bit of a "dunce" with all this. All I know is my Youview is connected by Wire from the Hub and my Smart TV is in same room as Router and only 6 feet away

It has been perfectly usable since I bought it a few Months ago. So good was it I bought a second one but that is hardly ever used - only if I want to watch Wifi TV on that while Wife stays on Youview in Living Room

The signal at 6 feet away has always been perfect apart from the initial switch on delay - and I have got my Signal secured so maybe that means a neighbour cant jump onto my signal I hope

At the moment I have watched the Lions on SKY with PC switched off and Wife not on I pad. I tested line speed 3 times recently which averaged 15 - and the TV had only one glitch (suppose it was buffering) which was a second at most and acceptable

I dont know any more than really except I was asked somewhere to listen to my dialling tone on phone and for noise and the Tone was fine and there was no noise.

I am considering taking Fibre Optic @ 76 speed in the hop that even if I get only 25 speed then that should be better unless I can solve this issue (with the kind help of others)

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Thanks .... I was trying not to start another post and cluttering up the Board but it will probably get a better response if it is a stand alone (thanks)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

My tests are showing your router in sync at a decent speed for your line...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 21.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.6 Mbps

Line tests aren't identifying any issues...

Voice Line Test Result Pass

No overutilisation issues at the exchange either.

And the connection from your router to the exchange is fairly stable...

@Bamboozled wrote:
@I am considering taking Fibre Optic @ 76 speed in the hop that even if I get only 25 speed then that should be better unless I can solve this issue (with the kind help of others)

Unfortunately, upgrading your package to Unlimited Fibre Extra 76mbps won't have any effect on your line speed, as your estimates are between 16.5 to 22.7mbps. Your connection is currently performing as expected for your length of line.

@Bamboozled wrote:
At the moment I have watched the Lions on SKY with PC switched off and Wife not on I pad. I tested line speed 3 times recently which averaged 15 - and the TV had only one glitch (suppose it was buffering) which was a second at most and acceptable

Was this over a wired connection? Having said that, either way, 15mbps should be enough to watch even 1080p HD. Is the buffering happening across all your devices too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi and many thanks for the interest and the useful information

Sorry I have not replied till now. The Lions Game was watched via Wifi and only buffered maybe twice for a second each time and the picture was perfect

I have been speed checking during the day and the latest speed I got was the fastest of the day at 16.6 with upload speed of 5.3. Latency ? was 2177 but I dont know if that is good or bad !

A few times today the speed was <1 with the worst just 2 minutes before the best at 0.65 !

The speed drop / buffering is indeed happening on my Laptop too and I first noticed a few days ago (after the supposed Power cut in my Postcode) I noticed that a Site I look at with Photos which normally are fully loaded had just the "links" instead and they then started to appear one by one. Bookmarks take an extra time to load as will posting this message

One strange thing tonight when I came in the Smart TV said it was "not connected" and said I should "retry" to connect. So I pressed retry even though the Screen was showing the status as "connected" for sure. Anyway after that I chose an Amazon Film and it played perfectly for 2 and a half hours. I kept off the Laptop but Mrs Bamboozled was using her IPad during the Film

Once again thanks for the advice and hope there is something in my Post that may give you more info - and that might lead to a resolution

Thanks also for the tip about 76 speed Fibre optic. I was on the brink of getting it thinking that it might solve my problem

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, the speed test results look OK except the latency is quite high, but that can be affected by multiple factors. Are you have the same buffering/slow speed problems using a direct ethernet connection from a laptop to the router?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi and thanks again

I will find my ethernet cable out and see what happens when connecting it to Laptop.

I have the Youview Box hard wired to the TV only a few feet away and that behaves perfectly.

To be fair I think my Smart TV is within a whisker of being "right" in that since I have had it it was very little problem when streaming TV Channels but now I find that quite often the TV will be "just" ok unless I put my Laptop on - almost as it that takes some of the signal from the TV (which it probably does)

I have read on here I think it was that uploading can cause a problem but I cant think of what I might be uploading constantly but if anyone can tell me how to check and what sort of things to check for I will do it (or remove it)

Will hard wiring to the Laptop indicate a Router problem as in the Wifi signal is "down" but the line speed is there via the hard wired connection ?

Many thanks again

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf

After posting the above I used Google to find out what might be uploading and it suggested "Onedrive" and I looked at a Youtube video that also said this.

It said to look at the hidden icons in bottom right corner and hover over "Onedrive" and when I did it is showing 1.98 of 38.9 mb uploading. Double clicking led me to "these 3 items cant be uploaded" and 3 of my Videos were listed. On Onedrive itself there are several Videos already there which I dont know how I sanctioned them BUT ..

... might that be my problem ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Bamboozled wrote:
I have the Youview Box hard wired to the TV only a few feet away and that behaves perfectly.

Is the YouView box wired to the router?

@Bamboozled wrote:
Will hard wiring to the Laptop indicate a Router problem as in the Wifi signal is "down" but the line speed is there via the hard wired connection ?

It'll tell us if the issue is the wireless signal from the router, or something else. If the YouView box is wired to the router as above, and works fine that'll indicate the issue is the WiFi.

@Bamboozled wrote:
To be fair I think my Smart TV is within a whisker of being "right" in that since I have had it it was very little problem when streaming TV Channels but now I find that quite often the TV will be "just" ok unless I put my Laptop on - almost as it that takes some of the signal from the TV (which it probably does)

Having said the above, if your Smart TV works fine when your laptop's turned off, that does indicate the issue tends to lie with something the laptop is doing.

@Bamboozled wrote:
After posting the above I used Google to find out what might be uploading and it suggested "Onedrive" and I looked at a Youtube video that also said this.

It said to look at the hidden icons in bottom right corner and hover over "Onedrive" and when I did it is showing 1.98 of 38.9 mb uploading. Double clicking led me to "these 3 items cant be uploaded" and 3 of my Videos were listed. On Onedrive itself there are several Videos already there which I dont know how I sanctioned them BUT ..

... might that be my problem ?

Whilst uploading can affect your download speed, causing buffering etc, from looking at the usage on your account, I wouldn't expect the small amount of data that's being uploaded to have a negative effect.

For your connection, I'd expect you to be able to upload up to 270MB per hour before it starts to be massively affect your download speed.

If both your Smart TV and laptop are connected wirelessly to the router, I'd recommend changing the WiFi channel in the router settings as the next step. This guide should help: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Yes sorry (terminology). The Router IS connected to Youview Box by hard wire and then on into the Smart TV by hard Wire

I will try the hard wiring to the Laptop asap and report findings

Smart TV now very well behaved when Laptop is off. (Wifes Ipad Air does not seem to affect Smart TV and she has it on nearly all the time). I found where the Download was going and I had choice to use "Unlimited" speed 125 upload speed or choose a Speed so I selected 1 meaning it has not been stopped but is almost stopped. So far whist typing this and watching Sky via Wifi there have been no problems as yet. It was set for "unlimited" probably by default setting

I have 2 settings already (adding a 5 as per the Plusnet Tip) when I first got Plusnet

Try the hard wiring of Laptop soon

Cheers jt

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, it does sound like something the laptop is doing which is affecting the Smart TV.

Let us know how it goes with your Smart TV when your laptop is wired to the router (and WiFi turned off).

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi Gandalf

Not posted for a while (Holidays and I dont like to publicise them !)

However before I went I did find my Laptop was uploading the whole time to OneDrive I think it was. I needed to research what it was downloading before I stopped it.

Before that though I backed off the speed of uploading to the least possible - just trickling now and there have been no problems with my Download speeds since I returned on Monday.

I did a BB Speedcheck several times with different providers and was getting nearly 20 on average - so I reckon you have helped me solve the problem - thanks again

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesomeness, great to hear Thumbs_Up No problems

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet