cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Upload Speed

lamb_tagine

Poor Upload Speed

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1584298120834138955

I have a really poor upload speed on Fibre Broadband at 0.5 Mbps.

Is there an issue with my router or line?

8 REPLIES 8
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Re: Poor Upload Speed

My speeds on plusnet have gone from 75MB download / 17 MB upload when I joined in sept 2018 to 28MB down / 0.7 upload yesterday.  They have steadily dropped since I joined as I do a speed test about once a month,  my bill however has gone up...  I have tried it with PC plugged into RJ45 port on router instead of using WiFi and it is no faster,  tried re-booting router,  no faster.. may have to look elsewhere...

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @wotsup,

Thank you for your query, sorry to hear of the decreasing speeds.

Having tested the line today, I can see that the speeds are on the lower end of the estimates, but I am unable to find a fault that would be causing this. Therefore, we'd need to run through some trouble shooting to rule out anything internal being the cause.

Our troubleshooting steps can be found here and getting your router connected in to the test socket for the first time can be seen here. Please do let us know how you get on!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
lamb_tagine

Katie_C

Can you have a look at my line as well, since I posted the original query.

OpenReach were out yesterday and fixed the line externally.  It is now faster, but is 3 Meg upload speed appropriate for Fibre Unlimited?

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@KatieC 

Did some more tests today from incoming phone socket.

Download - 27Mbs

upload - 1.2Mbs

This is within the range of speed I was getting when I posted, a bit worse in fact but within variation,  I did tests yesterday with original filter and then with new filter saw about a 0.5Mbs increase in download,  and about 0.2Mbs upload,  but that is not really significant and withing possible error of speed test or line traffic.

So that is with no homeplugs connected ( which supply the signal for TV and downstairs wi-fi via TP-Link homeplug wi-fi extender ) and PC connected to router via direct ethernet cable.

Then I thought I would re-boot the router by turning power off for 30 seconds and powering up.  -  this made speeds worse so now 20.1Mbs download and 0.45Mbs upload -  will now leave it to settle down and retry tomorrow.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@KatieC 

did another speed test today

download 21MBps 

Upload 0.45MBps

So speeds still dropping - I know people working from home and kids are off school - but his is a lot less than I was told to expect and as I said when I first joined plusnet about 18 months ago I was getting over 75 down and 17 upload.

My modem / router is left powered up all the time as I know leaving it powered down can result in lower speeds.  I have had to reboot modem maybe twice but power only off for about 30 seconds..

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@lamb_tagine apologies, I'm not sure how that happened.

I can see the 2.6Mbit upload speed. The line is not banded. Assuming all the wiring checks have been done, we will need Openreach to investigate. Can you please log a fault. and we'll take it from there. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

@wotsup  Same advice to you. Your upload is 0,7Mbps without errors or banding. We need a fault logged (assuming everything is good internally) so we can get to the bottom of it.

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@plusnettony 

Thanks for reply

I did the 'BT test socket' thing again,  Modem directly into incoming BT socket ( under lower cover of BT box ) connected Modem to PC with direct ethernet cable ( via filter,  but no phone connected to other filter port ).

It is getting worse

Down - 6.1

Up - 0.28

So problem is outside our house in the system....

I understand there are a lot more users in area with kids off school and people working from home, but that would only be last couple of weeks, the thing that concerns me is that speed has steadily dropped since I joined plusnet about 18 months ago,  almost a straight line - I do a speed test ( USwitch ) about once a month and the steady decline in speed is worrying - almost as though connection is deliberately being throttled back ( wonder if BT are deliberately degrading plusnet subscribers so that they will move over to BT ? )

We are only 0.6 miles from exchange as well.

will log a fault s suggested