cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Speed

acemathias
Dabbler

Poor Speed

Had FTTC since 14/9/16 at a new property.
Should be on the legacy 55mbps down, 10mbps up.

Speeds were initally c35mbps down, c10mbps which was lower than i was expecting, but was reasonable.

However repeatedly over the last week speeds have plummeted to c10mbps and lower.

Have followed the speed fault FAQs on the site and have the following data in the screenshots below:

I have performed tests from master socket (BT Openreach Master Socket 5c MK4). 
Using BT Openreach Modem (NGA ECI-CPE MODEMS TYPE 1B)

Using DLink Router (DIR 868L)
Used Ethernet cable and no other devices connected.

Most obvious is that the line speed is set at 40Mb, but should be 55Mb. Please help.
Line Speed.jpgBB Availability Checker.jpgBT Speed Test.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
acemathias
Dabbler

Re: Poor Speed

If it helps, here is a link to my live TB ping graph:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/073e77680d7f67cb39b5163428209824.html

nearly 100 views and no reply from PN, can i get some love please?

Should i be raising a fault? If so can someone provide the link given that after copious searching the other day, the only link i could find didn't work...

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a new customer (new property in this case) you wouldn't be put on 55/10 as part of the automatic transfer as the system is totally incapable of handling it

However from your screen cap it is possible that the Plusnet profile is limiting your speeds

It is possible that you are on the new network and in this case your Plusnet profile is not relevant

However given that the BT system thinks you are on 80/20 then you certainly aren't on 55/10 except that Plusnet may be limiting the speeds (assuming I read the blurred screen cap correctly) If I didn't then you are on 55/10

Despite that your upstream speed result is horrible - can you access the sync speeds from the router (assuming that you aren't using the BT Modem)

acemathias
Dabbler

Yes i do think the profile may well be incorrect as the current line speed and estimated line speed (sorry for the poor screen cap) are both 40Mb,  rather than the 55Mb i was expecting for the legacy product.

However i am surprised that the incorrect profile is have such a marked impact on the performance.

Can PN staff please check my profile and reset if necessary?

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

55/10 is not a legacy product, but was used in the price change recently for existing customer (I think at the 1st September).

You mentioned you got install on the 15th September, when you ordered did you order the up to 40mb product and did you get confirmation that it was going to go up to 55?

I am wondering if when Plusnet made the changes on the speed capping yours got missed as you were an open order rather than active when the changes happened on the 1st....

but if you can confirm you got the email saying you were moving to 55:10 that would help see what has happened.

Thanks

MS

acemathias
Dabbler

Did you order the up to 40mb product?

No i specifically ordered the 55mb / 10mb product as this is what i had at my old address and i wanted the higher upload speed vs the 40mb product.

Did you get confirmation that it was going to go up to 55?

Yes the agent confirmed this when talking to him about the product and the subsequent email received is also consistent with this, see below:

Your estimated speed is: 55Mbps and this can vary between 40Mbps and 55Mbps (FTTC)
Broadband Package/Price: £11.00 per month
Phone Package/Price: £17.99 per month line rental + free evening and weekend calls
Line status at new property: New Line Installation
Preferred Appointment Slot (If Required): AM
SIM Provide Required? Yes
Line Activation Cost: Waived
New Router Required? Yes
Contract Length /24

acemathias
Dabbler

Just noticed i have an open question:

Since the 5/10 when going through the Broadband troubleshooter. How long should it take for support to respond?

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@acemathias wrote:

Did you order the up to 40mb product?

No i specifically ordered the 55mb / 10mb product as this is what i had at my old address and i wanted the higher upload speed vs the 40mb product.

Did you get confirmation that it was going to go up to 55?

Yes the agent confirmed this when talking to him about the product and the subsequent email received is also consistent with this, see below:

Your estimated speed is: 55Mbps and this can vary between 40Mbps and 55Mbps (FTTC)
Broadband Package/Price: £11.00 per month
Phone Package/Price: £17.99 per month line rental + free evening and weekend calls
Line status at new property: New Line Installation
Preferred Appointment Slot (If Required): AM
SIM Provide Required? Yes
Line Activation Cost: Waived
New Router Required? Yes
Contract Length /24

Was this over the phone? You cant buy the 55:10 product, also not t hat getting 55mb at your previous address could have been on the 80:20 product at 55mb was the max speed you had.

Plusnet havn't to the best of my knowledge ever sold 55:10 as a product, they took the people thy had on their 40:20 product and regraded them to 55:10, but if you buy new today you cant buy 55:10

Was your old 55:10 speed via Plusnet or another ISP?

You can be given a line estimate of 40mb-55mb but Plusnet would either put you on the 80:20 product or the 40:2 product.

Maybe they are doing 55:10 over the phone, but there is no mention of it via the website etc.

Either way, even if it is capped at 40mb it wouldnt have an effect of dropping you to 10mb at times, when that happens do you have a screenshot of the BTW speedtest at that point in time?

acemathias
Dabbler

Yes it was over the phone

acemathias
Dabbler

5 days and no PN staff response. Can someone from PN please look into this?