Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Internet Speed After Phone Line Fault Repair

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Poor Internet Speed After Phone Line Fault Repair

@nixkeller4 wrote:

I can. I'm normally up until 3 and 4am most nights and from my experience thus far the speeds remain the same even at those times.

A wired BT test including the additional results from around that time would be interesting.

John
nixkeller4
Dabbler

I'll do one of those in the middle of the night tonight and I'll post the results in this thread.

nixkeller4
Dabbler

I ran another speed test at 3am when no one else was awake as requested. Here are the results. I also took another note of the help desk things as I wasn't sure if that was also needed.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that, @nixkeller4 . Your speed certainly is not good, but if that is correct, something strange is going on - I can't see how you can download 184GB, and upload 19 in three days at that speed, unless that figure somehow hasn't reset.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jab1 

I don't know how the OP's hub works but on my Smarthub the totql data throughput not reset on a DSL drop. I can't remember whther it' needs a power cycle ot factory reset, it's one or the other.

@nixkeller4 

Do you have a static IP address? If so then Plusnet have an additional control that can limit your data throughput. Not all Plusnet agents are aware of this and it can occassionally get set incorrectly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@nixkeller4  Do you have a static WAN IP address? Normally this is a paid for add on but there are some circumstances where it has been added by Plusnet and the customer is unaware that it has happened.

Next check your "Current Line Speed"  on the Broadband tab of your account in the member centre, it isn't actually a speed but a profile which if you have a static IP address will cap your download speed.

It should track the BT IP profile but can get stuck, if you have previously had low sync speeds. So if it is a lot less than 32Mbps, possibly around 8Mbps that could be your problem, the profile needs to be updated by Plusnet..

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@jab1 

I don't know how the OP's hub works but on my Smarthub the totql data throughput not reset on a DSL drop. I can't remember whther it' needs a power cycle ot factory reset, it's one or the other.

@Baldrick1 I wasn't aware of that - still using my TG582N.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Next check your "Current Line Speed"  on the Broadband tab of your account in the member centre, it isn't actually a speed but a profile which if you have a static IP address will cap your download speed.

@nixkeller4 posted the Current Line speed back at post 5, it was 32.2. However that could still be the problem if it was previously low and the router hasnt been restarted since any increase. I'd suggest a router restart or at least a drop and reconnect of the PPPoE session. See if that makes any difference...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nixkeller4
Dabbler

So I went ahead and restarted the router and it worked! My speeds are now back to what they were a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the help everyone.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next little bit to make sure its stable.

jab1
Legend

Good news, @nixkeller4 , and keeping a watchful eye on it for a few days is a good idea.👍

John