cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Fibre Speed

Tempting
Grafter

Poor Fibre Speed

I've noticed everything taking longer recently and finally got round to doing a speedtest.

I've run the test several times and it reports that I'm only getting between 24.48 - 36 Mbps down and between 6.66 and 9.0Mbps upload. Several of the tests show 24 - 28 which is very poor.

IP profile on my line is 42.21Mbps so I would expect to be getting more.

The report says the acceptable range of speeds is 40 - 42.21 Mbps

Any ideas anyone?

9 REPLIES 9
rachann
Hooked

Re: Poor Fibre Speed

I'm in the same situation and have  been for over a week.  

I've tried to call tech support on several occasion, but all I get is we very busy call back tomorrow.  It's getting to the stage where the call will be to tell them I'm off.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Tempting 

How are you testing? Only speed tests over an Ethernet cable between the router and a computer counts when doing this tests. If fhat's OK then you have a wireless problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Tempting
Grafter

Obviously I would never trust a wireless connection for a reliable speed test.

These speed tests results were taken with the PC over ethernet cable between PC and router. Router plugged directly into master socket (no extension lead) and having changed the microfilter in case that was an issue.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Tempting 

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers. What is obvious to you is not to everyone who reports speed problems, which is why it's best to provide this information up front.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Tempting
Grafter

Yeah, sorry. Just that I spent 14 years supporting over 200 users and an entire IT infrastructure for a medium sized business so I am pretty used to diagnosis Smiley

Appreciate your input, even if it isn't the correct answer on this occasion....next time it might be Smiley

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @Tempting

Sorry to hear about issues with your broadband. IP profile and Sync speeds on your line are fine ~45Mbps Down and ~16Mbps Up. Connection is fairly stable.

I am unable to remotely connect to your router so I understand that most likely you are using your own router? Can you please check what are sync speeds in your router stats as looks like it is receiving correct speeds at all times and what are results on BTWholesale speed test?

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Tempting
Grafter

I am using the Plusnet issued router although I have obviously changed the admin password so this may be the reason you couldn't connect.

Router is showing sync at 43.95 / 17.46 which fits with the Line profile of 42.54 / 20 Since posting on the forum my download has now returned to a more acceptable 40 but my upload i still only around 9 Mbps. I have no idea why, after suffering poor speeds for around two weeks, despite sync and profiles looking good, after posting on the forum all seems good again.

Speeds quoted above were obtained from speedtest.btwholesale.com and sync figures are quoted from router DSL line status 'connection information' page

Tempting
Grafter

The summary for the advanced test states:

An error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the upstream test is acceptable for you service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

No matter how many times i run the test this is always the case, is this normal for the advanced test page?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your time on the phone @Tempting 

As discussed I'll call you back at about 3pm this afternoon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet