cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Fibre Speed

Mbuk
Hooked

Poor Fibre Speed

Hi, i have been with Plusnet for years and had a good broadband speed. We have just moved and we are getting between 20-21mb. I logged a call with support and carried out the requested tests i.e testing with BT test socket no load pc and laptop, wired connection. Still the same. There is no internal wiring as the socket bolts straight to the wall.

BT fault logged and Six days later i had heard nothing so called support and no update was on the case. They checked with BT and i was told yeh they have tested and it looks ok. Support also said yes this is very slow for fibre. I ask to be allowed to leave my contract and was told your minium contract speed is 20.4 so you will have to pay £200-00 to leave.

My old BT copper was 16mb and fibre is 21mb. Please can help in getting the speed issue resolved or allow me to leave at no cost.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

12 REPLIES 12
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Poor Fibre Speed

Hi @Mbuk,

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the speed at your new property. I've tested your line and it's currently syncing at 23.8mbps. This is above the minimum guaranteed speed of 20.3mbps that was provided to you when the house move order was placed and was confirmed on the ticket here.

As your speed is above the minimum guaranteed, we're very limited in terms of what we can do with this and we would not be able to waive the early termination fees if you decided to leave us due to this. That being said, I can see that you have spoken to an advisor after making this post and they have arranged an engineer visit for tomorrow so that the engineer can have a look into this and see if there's anything that they can do to improve your speed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Mbuk  Have you entered your phone number in the DSL Checker to see what your line is capable of?

The speeds you can expect are dependant on your distance to the cabinet, so if you have moved further away your speeds will be lower.

Mbuk
Hooked

Hi, support have told me the minimum guaranteed is 22.7mb this is what their system tells them it is, they say the figure of 20.3mbps  is wrong  so 23.8mbps is still dire.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

So is there a reason why you don't want to put your number in the DSL checker?

The more information you have the better you will understand any issues you may be having.

Although if you have taken your old number with you, it may take a little time for the checker to be updated.

Mbuk
Hooked

Hi, already done it on the zen one minimum garenteed is 24.7mbps
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Mbuk,

As the minimum guaranteed speed that you were given when the order was placed was 20.3mbps, this is what we have to work from I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mbuk
Hooked

Hi, firstly BT engineer did not turn up. No one know why. So I lost half a days work. Yes I did get a £20.00 credit. But I lost a lot more than that in lost wages. No I have replied to a txt trying to book any engineer for next Friday am but no reply and posted a reply to a support question no reply.

The internet speed has now dropped to 18.6mbs testing with Ofcom speed tester. But as support use a tool for testing that no customer has sight of I doubt anyone ever reaches the contract minimum. I was told by support that my correct minimum is 22.7 and 20.3 is wrong . Who is right? Clearly as it has settled down at 18.6 we need to do something or let me leave my contract with no penalty.

Mbuk
Hooked

Just been on the phone with support again to get an engineer booked. He said he would have to test the line (again) Tested at 20.3mps and he said my guaranteed minimum is 22.7mbps. So he said there is defiantly something wrong. But he could not book an engineer it would have to go to the faults team. it will be up to 72hrs before someone contact me. Really!

This changes with ever support person I speak to. One booked an engineer who didn't turn up and today the support person cannot book an engineer. To say I am fed up is an understatement. How slow and unusable does it have to get? It has started disconnecting randomly as well.

Please can I have some help with this !

Mbuk
Hooked

Your broadband service

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
  • Estimated Download Range: 24 - 36Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 5 - 7Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 22.7Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 19.5Mbps

This show how poor it is!

Mbuk
Hooked

It appears there is a cap on the line at 19mb.

Mbuk
Hooked

Could someone from Plusnet Help Team  please help with this.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @Mbuk

It looks like your line is currently banded by DLM as your line profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-22.4M with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-10M with no error protection" however your sync speed is now below this so you may have a genuine line fault.

I've booked an engineer on the date you've requested for this to be investigated further.

Let us know how you get on after the visit

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team