cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Fiber speed. Plus net only promise 4.2 Mbps.

FIXED
Soulsville
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Poor Fiber speed. Plus net only promise 4.2 Mbps.

My line speed is capable of 10.2 yet I am only getting 6 mbps, which is very poor for a fibre connection it is only a bit faster than adls. I was getting between 9 Mbps & 10 Mbps now my speed has dropped to 6 and on Friday it was less than 1mpbs as tested on opeanreach speed test.

I am a long standing customer of 14 years and now you are giving me the usual fob off. Why can't I have my line speed back to 9 Mbps. I can't log on either to my account on my computer. I can on my phone. Why is that. (probably my fault). It is funny how my guaranteed speed has dropped since being on Fibre. Before I was on fibre I was promised higher speeds.
My speed is half of what I could get. Plusnet are only guaranteeing a third of the speed I can get. I feel Plusnet will not help me get a decent speed. I am well aware I am well over a km (about 2.4km) from the street cabinet. Various engineers who have been, tell me a fibre relay box is needed. Plusnet should put pressure on Opeanreach. Under the government's Digital Economy Act 2017 I can demand a speed of at least 10mbps and 1 mbps upload speed. the detail is in the act Part.1 (4) 2B. This comes into force very soon.

So why is Plusnet only guaranteeing 4.2 Mpbs a third of the speed my line is capable?

Why am I paying the same as somebody who is getting speeds of 36mbps.? There is no fairness from Plusnet you have had my money, now earn it and sort out my speed. Stop fobbing me off and do something.
24 REPLIES 24
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Poor Fiber speed. Plus net only promise 4.2 Mbps.

@Soulsville 

You are clearly a long way from your street cabinet. Have you considered using mobile data instead, assuming of course that you have mobile reception?

If you don’t get the guaranteed speed and Plusnet can’t get it improved by Openreach then you can leave without any cancellation penalty.

As far as I am aware Plusnet are not required to meet.the forthcoming Univeral Service Obligation so you may need to move to BT to invoke this. See  https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/06/ofcom-set-march-2020-launch-for-10mbps-uk-broadband-us...

In terms of speed v price, the service is up to 40mbps at a single price. I understand that the people who will get faster speed under the USO even if it costs up to £3400 for extra infrastructure per customer will pay no more than customers who need no such expenditure. We can all be winners or losers from such universal service arrangements.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Soulsville
Rising Star

Thank you Baldrick1 for your reply. My point is that I was getting between 9 and 10 Mbps but it has dropped to around 6 Mbps. I did a speed test on Open reach which gave me a speed of 5.02 Mbps today. I don't expect miracles but if I was getting between 9 and 10 Mbps. Why has my speed dropped now? All I would like is to have that speed back, is that wrong to ask for it back?

Regards

Dave

Soulsville
Rising Star

I have done a speed test on the Which site this is what I got, but to be fair I am getting speeds faster than 3.3 I have been speeds of over 5Mbps. This is not very good advert for Fiber.

Dave, your vital statistics are below

Date of test: 26/11/2019 13:22:26
Response Time: 23ms
Download Speed: 3.3Mbps
Upload Speed: 1.0Mbps

The government has acted on its plans to deliver universal broadband across the UK, by implementing a universal service obligation (USO). The USO will ensure that everyone can reach speeds of at least 10Mbps by 2020.

We hope you're satisfied with the results of your speed test. If you're not happy and want to take action, here are the steps you can take:

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Soulsville wrote:

Thank you Baldrick1 for your reply. My point is that I was getting between 9 and 10 Mbps but it has dropped to around 6 Mbps. I did a speed test on Open reach which gave me a speed of 5.02 Mbps today. I don't expect miracles but if I was getting between 9 and 10 Mbps. Why has my speed dropped now? All I would like is to have that speed back, is that wrong to ask for it back?

There's absolutely nothing wrong for asking. However it might not be physically possible. To start with are you making sure that there is nothing in your house that is limiting your speed? Have you tried a speed test when connected to the BT Test Socket, that's the one you access by taking the front off of the Master Socket.? Are you testing with your router connected to this test socket via a filter and using an Ethernet cable between the router and your computer?

Have you done a quiet line test by plugging a wired phone into the test socket. Ring 17070 then select option 2. If there's any noise you need to report a phone, not broadband fault.

2.4km is an awful long way to try to transmit a broadband signal. You may have a fault but at the same time as more subscribers take up broadband the amount of crosstalk on the line increases, reducing the lines capability. I am on a reasonably short line but over the years that I have been on FTTC my sync rate has dropped by nearly 10Mbps, through, I believe, crosstalk.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Soulsville 

Have you run your phone number through the DSLChecker to see what it says about possible speeds.

www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Soulsville
Rising Star

Hi bmc

Thanks for post.

Soulsville

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
T

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 10.6 5.8 0.8 0.8 4.2 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 10.6 5.3 0.5 1.2 3.7 Available Available --  

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --  

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 1.5 to 5.5 Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 1.5 to 5.5 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 4.5 Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  

Observed Speeds

VDSL

Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 6.39          
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 1.18          
Observed Date 2019-11-06          

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap N            
VRI N            
NTEFaceplate N            
Last Test Date 19-11-2019            

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Soulsville
Rising Star

Hi Baldrick1

Many thanks again for your further post. I have done the test via socket and wired to laptop, this is the result. I can't do the quite test as I do not have a wired phone. The drop of my speed has been by a third, I was getting speeds of between 9Mbps and 10. I was happy with that, now I have lost a third of my speed, why is the question? I have been with Plusnet for 14 years. They are not helpful about speed issues at the moment but to be fair the last time I had this issue Plusnet sorted it by sending engineers it took 3 visits and was sorted by a senior engineer.

Regards

Soulsville

1. Downstream Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
  5.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 5.63 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.02 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 3.94 Mbps-5.63 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 5.63 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  1.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.02Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@Soulsville wrote:

Dave, your vital statistics are below

Date of test: 26/11/2019 13:22:26
Response Time: 23ms
Download Speed: 3.3Mbps
Upload Speed: 1.0Mbps

The government has acted on its plans to deliver universal broadband across the UK, by implementing a universal service obligation (USO). The USO will ensure that everyone can reach speeds of at least 10Mbps by 2020.

We hope you're satisfied with the results of your speed test. If you're not happy and want to take action, here are the steps you can take:

Dave: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bmc
Hero

@Soulsville 

Have you thought about buying a cheap phone just to have it on hand for occasions like this?

I'm not an expert but I'd guess an engineer's visit is on the cards!!! I suspect there's little PlusNet can do without one.

Given the DSLChecker results have you checked to see if there's any possibility of FTTP

www.openreach.com/

Brian

Soulsville
Rising Star

Hi Brian 

Many thanks for your post. I gave the DSL checker a go they only do Fibre to the street box and I am already on that fibre connection the other alternative I have registered interest with openreach. The link led me to offcom and did a speed test and they said I was on a poor connection. 

I should buy a cheap wired phone.

Regards

Dave

bmc
Hero

@Soulsville 

OpenReach have been ramping up FTTP connections in the past couple of years. This includes locations like yourself where the length of the line precludes any other real alternative. You just have to hope they'll do your area at some point in the near future. Getting as many neighbour's as possible to Register an interest in faster speeds might help - or might not!!!

Brian

Soulsville
Rising Star

Hi Brian

They say they have no plans for ramping up the connection but I suppose if enough neighbours sign up it might improve the chance of an upgrade.

Regards

Soulsville

Soulsville
Rising Star

I got this email today .

HELLO DAVE,

7 days ago we asked you to complete some actions as part of the
investigation into your speed fault.

We've not heard back from you, and need to let you know that if we
don't hear from you by 7 days we'll assume that this is no longer an
issue and will automatically close your fault.

Don't forget that you can run a speed test at
http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ (more info [4]) and we have some
advice on the things which can affect broadband speeds [5] on our help
pages.

If you've contacted us today about your fault then please disregard
this email.

Kind regards,

PLUSNET CUSTOMER SUPPORT
www.plus.net [1]

Soulsville
Rising Star

So I sent this back to Plusnet

Hello

I am sure the left hand and the right do not know what they are doing at
Plusnet.
I did the tests you asked at BT wholesale and if you bother to read the
open question you see that I even put the results there. Plus read.

Also one of your tech guys rang me today about what he was doing about
the
problem.

It is still a problem and you should be sorting it out instead of
sending this stupid email.

Yours a very unhappy customer