Did you mean: 

Poor Broadband Speed: Issues?

FIXED
Russell_w_b
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Poor Broadband Speed: Issues?

Hello there,

My broadband speed is down to 1.49MB/s currently, and I'm on a FTTC fibre service.  Is there a  problem?  I'm on the Skelton (Penrith) exchange and the cabinet is at Hutton End.

--

Kind Regds,

R.

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Poor Broadband Speed: Issues?

Hi Russell, thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems.

Our tests are showing a high amount of errors on your line, in a 24 hour period it's been erroring around every 6 seconds which is likely going to be the underlying cause. Line tests aren't showing the cause for this though so I'd recommend running through our troubleshooting guides Here making sure your router is plugged into the test socket as explained Here

If you're still experiencing problems, please could you report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net nudging us over here once you've completed it and we'll be happy to pick this back up as soon as we can, which would likely be us arranging an engineer visit with yourself to investigate further.

I've also noticed that while there's definitely a fault somewhere affecting your connection which needs to be sorted, fibre is available in your area which can offer you a big increase in speed from the usual 3mbps to around 25mbps.

If you want to upgrade I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 although I'd first get the current problem sorted as fibre isn't always the answer if there's an underlying problem somewhere along the line.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Russell_w_b
Dabbler

Gandalf,

Many thanks for your reply.  I subscribe to a fibre connection and up until a few days ago, enjoyed a download speed of around 25MB/s.  As I said in my original post, I'm on FTTC with the cabinet about half a mile  away.  My line has been working fine hitherto.

I've done a quiet line test on the PSTN and no crackling - a little 100Hz hum, maybe, but nothing untoward.  I've done all the tests you suggested to no avail.  I'll copy this post over to your faults link, as suggested.

--

Kind Regds,

R.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Russell, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I missed that, although your line is definitely testing as standard broadband so I've done some digging into this and I'll break the bad news first.

Unfortunately due to a system error your account never changed to a fibre account type and as the provisioned service with our suppliers was fibre while your account type still standard broadband, this meant that your service was automatically downgraded to standard broadband to align the product between our suppliers system and our own system. Embarrassed

This same system error also meant that we weren't billing you accurately for your newly transferred phone service either and as a result we've since suspended the billing on your account while we work to resolve that.

The good news is that this is an easy fix by placing an order to reprovide your fibre service which I've put through now. 

There's more bad news that as your account billing is suspended we can't change your account type to the right fibre package, so there's a possibility this may happen again until billing is unsuspended and we've changed the account type.

To end on a reasonably good news, I'm taking this on personally and I'll make sure we reprovide your fibre service as quickly as we can. I'll provide an update on the order tomorrow and once you're back up and running on fibre, I'll be happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience we've caused. I'll also keep an eye following that to cancel any further downgrade orders we may place automatically.

Not a good way to start a weekend. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Russell_w_b
Dabbler

Ah... 

It happens, I suppose...  

Do I need to take any action re: ensuring my account stays on FTTC or will you do it?

--

Kind Regds,

R.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me Russell,

I'll be happy to arrange all that and I'll keep you updated on the progress when I'm in the office tomorrow afternoon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Russell_w_b I can confirm that your fibre service should (re)activate on Monday.

I'll keep an eye on this and I'll let you know when it's completed although I'd expect as soon as the engineering work has been carried out you'll see faster speeds again.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Russell_w_b
Dabbler

Gandalf,

Thanks for that; great. Smiley  Didn't realise there was any engineering work involved - thought it was an administrative / software-enabled thing?  Unless there are  links to fit in the cabinet or what-have-you.

--

Kind Regds,

R.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Russell Smiley Going from to standard broadband to fibre and the other way around entails engineering work at the cabinet to physically move the line on/off the fibre equipment.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Russell_w_b I am happy to confirm that you are back on a fibre service. 

Assuming you've had a chance to use the internet today, how have things been?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Russell_w_b
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Everything working fine now. Many thanks indeed! 😊 BT reconnected first thing this morning but just rebooted router now.
--

Kind Regds,

R.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Russell,

Perfect Thumbs_Up no problem, I'll keep an eye on your account until I'm sure we'll be in clear.

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with in the meantime.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet