cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll: Those with slow speeds and line instability issues

Gregg
Grafter

Poll: Those with slow speeds and line instability issues

What router configuration are you using?

1) I am using an old open reach modem with bridge mode in to my own router.

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/bt-openreach-modem.jpg

2) I am using a newer non plusnet branded vdsl router that goes directly in the bt socket with rj11.

https://www.cclonline.com/images/avante/D7000-100UKS_02_BigProductImage.png

3) I am using the new plusnet branded home hub one and no other

http://i.imgur.com/hpHwR3fh.jpg

I suspect the majority with the issue will be in option 1 and possibly some in option 2.

I found this massive thread on the BT fiber forums started one year ago. It shows that some people with older open reach modems experienced problems with a certain new feature that was rolled out. Which led to line instability issues.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/G-INP-affecting-certain-eci-modems-resultin...

The fix is found in this post:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/G-INP-affecting-certain-eci-modems-resultin...

32 REPLIES 32
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Poll: Those with slow speeds and line instability issues

I dont have Any problems at all with my conection Cool  LAN or WIFI

as i bought my own Asus DSL AC68U Thumbs_Up

The PN router is fine for basic surfing and thats about all

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm a (3): I'm using the Hub One because my old router didn't do VDSL and, hey, the Hub One was free.

No problems at all, but I really only do web surfing and streaming videos so I'm easy to please.

Gregg
Grafter

If it was not already obvious to some, if you do not have problems, then there is no point taking part in the poll.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

@Gregg wrote:

... if you do not have problems, then there is no point taking part in the poll.

If you want to be able to draw any useful conclusions from your poll, you need data from people who don't have problems to contrast it with. Happy to oblige Smiley

Gregg
Grafter

You don't understand the poll. The poll is not to determine if a specific router configuration is problematic. Only if the people experiencing the problem are using old equipment.

There are probably many people using option 1 that are working. I was working before I moved. It depends on whether the cabinet has been updated to G.INP or not and whether the router firmware supports G.INP.

I reset my HG612 and reflashed it with the firmware that supports G.INP and i will see how it performs over the next few days. Some people may be using the one in the links and that one will never support G.INP and needs to thrown away if you have problems.

Hope that explains why only people who have this specific issue needs to respond.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

@Gregg wrote:

You don't understand the poll. The poll is not to determine if a specific router configuration is problematic. Only if the people experiencing the problem are using old equipment.

Hope that explains why only people who have this specific issue needs to respond.

Ah, I see. It's the title of the poll that's catching the wrong people (including me). How about something more specific: "For those with old modems and line instability issues - has your cabinet been upgraded to G.INP?"

That might attract many fewer responses, but they would all be gold.

Now I'll leave you alone Cheesy

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Gregg wrote:

Some people may be using the one in the links and that one will never support G.INP and needs to thrown away if you have problems.

The Openreach ECI modem (the one in the links) uses the same chip as what's in the BT Home Hub 5A and the Plusnet Hub One, and should be perfectly capable of G.INP if they'd bothered to update the firmware.

BST
Grafter

I am on option 1, interesting find as there seems to be a lot of information about lower sync/speed etc since G INP.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.msg284199.html#msg284199

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I was using option 3 (Hub 1) but experienced random speed reductions and wireless problems. I'm now option 2, ditched the Hub 1 and experiencing no problems whatsoever. Speeds increased slightly too and spot on 5gHz wireless since the change in July. After enduring the Hub 1 for two months since upgrading to FTTC in May.

Gregg
Grafter

The problem with this sort of issue, is that it is temperamental, it might work for a month then go back to 3mbit and disconnecting the whole time.

I am going to cancel my Open reach appointment because I don't think it is a line issue and don't want to waste open reach time or get charged £65. I can always book them again if it happens again.

Since re-flashing my modem with the firmware that is meant to fix the G.INP issue, I have been using my normal equipment without issue. The real test will be the weekend, when it usually starts acting up.

I tried the option 3 after asking them to send me a hub one. It disconnected and was going slow after 48 hours.

Strangely I could have sworn that my open reach modem was running the unlocked firmware. When I went to view the webui it was not available. It indicates that open reach might have re-flashed that remotely and contributed to the problem. 

However the issue may not be fixed and time will tell.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

But even if Openreach had replaced the firmware on your HG612, surely they would have automatically upgraded it to the latest, which would support G.INP?

The lack of G.INP support issue is not temperamental, it was a very specific issue. The lack of G.INP support issue certainly wouldn't reduce your 80 or 60 or 50 Mb down to 3 Mb, nor would it make it disconnect a lot.

Gregg
Grafter

Well we would hope that open reach would upgrade the firmware to a version that supported the standards and protocols that they require. Clearly the original official firmware that was provided for those modems did not support it, that is why people had to rely on a custom firmware in order to support it. There has also been no firmware update from the manufacture, that I could find and i doubt open reach is in the business of writing modem firmware. I didn't check the version of the open reach firmware version because the telnet and webui are not available with it.

What is the symptoms of a G.INP issue? From what I heard it sounds very similar. Maybe it is not that issue then.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

As far as I know, all the unofficial HG612 firmwares were based on original BT firmwares, the only things added were access to the telnet interface for stats, and to the web interface. As in, someone made an unlocked firmware, BT released a firmware update, then someone made a newer unlocked firmware based on the updated BT firmware, and so on. Openreach might not be in the business of writing modem firmware, but had contracted other companies to make and support those devices, the devices were only really supplied by Openreach, so you don't really get any firmware to download from the manufacturer's website.

Perhaps read http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.0.html for the original G.INP issues in 2015.

Gregg
Grafter

Do you have any evidence at all that the version of firmware open reach has been pushing out is any different to the last official firmware update from the manufacture, which was available on those modems in 2013? Open reach no longer provide modems and this has obviously played a part for all those people still using those old modems, whether G.INP or not is the cause.

I have read all the information that I could find on the issue. It looks like BT is covered with their home hub 5.

End of day a lot of people are still using the old open reach modems in bridge mode with their own equipment and it is possible that they might run in to problems because of this. Sure the better solution is to update to home hub 5 but that might not support bridge mode, as is with the current plusnet one hub.