cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnets fiber router, cost ?

MadBloris

Plusnets fiber router, cost ?

Hi.

I was with TalkTalk and used my own W9980 router, since switching to plus my connection has been a little dodgy.
I declined the plus router when signing up, so I'm thinking of buying it now, to rule out my own hardware.

Can anyone tell me how much the router costs to existing customers.

Thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Plusnets fiber router, cost ?

if you ring and ask nicely they may let you have one for just the postage as you didn't take it at sign up.. if not it's £100 at which point you'd be better off buying a different one yourself.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: dvorak
they may let you have one for just the postage as you didn't take it at sign up.

Providing you're in the first 3 months of your contract. It won't be a problem to get a router sent out for the £6.99 p&p Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MadBloris

Yeah I'm outside (just) urgh. So for anyone searching is 40 notes plus delivery.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's not £40, the agent has completely misadvised you there. It's £100 I'm afraid.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MadBloris

That's some top top top support right there, firstly I can't get the 'free' router, I kinda understand that, although I didn't get any reductions for not having it! But then to have supportquote the wrong price both verbally and in email.
Nice going.

Although thanks for the speedy (disappointing) reply on here though, lesson learned, don't trust tech on the phone
mav:csa
daro2096
Grafter

If Plusnet are still supplying the old fibre routers then I would say don't bother as they are un reliable. I got two fibre plusnet routers and neither of them work. I went back to my old router which works with fibre. You just have to input your plusnet username and password and your primary and secondary IP addresses which you will find on your member pages(like view your usage and phone bill, etc).
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

If you're after a reliable, high quality router then you're probably going about it the wrong way. ISPs supply routers to cater for people who don't feel technically competent enough to set their own router up (or simply don't want the hassle). Support staff are also usually trained in how their routers work so in some cases can offer a better level of support to those users using them.
But as far as quality goes they are typically the cheapest, least featured devices that the ISP can find. That is likely to be especially true for those routers which are given to users for less than cost price. PN don't typically charge their customers for these routers so common sense ought to tell you that they are not going to be high quality ultra-dependable state of the art devices.
If you can get one for P&P it might be worth a punt but generally speaking all modems are equal. VDSL is a well documented standard and there are only a couple of different chipset manufacturers around. The case might have more or fewer LEDs but the electronic gubbins inside is probably the same. Frankly I doubt that a change of modem/router will make any difference. The only reason for changing is to get more features on the router (eg; better port forward, QoS or firewall). The only reason for changing the modem is to get a combined modem/router unit although even there personally I like having them separate. It means I can power cycle my router and not worry about upsetting DLM.
daro2096
Grafter

My router is the Linksys WRT120N router. It is an old model though and even though there is nothing about it working with fibre it does work with fibre.
MadBloris

Oh absolutely I wouldn't usually use an ISP supplied router, but money is right at the moment and it seemed an easy way to rule out my own hardware.
I will shell out for a new VDSL box as I have to and run out my contract if it does not improve the connection
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: daro2096
My router is the Linksys WRT120N router. It is an old model though and even though there is nothing about it working with fibre it does work with fibre.
All routers will work with all 'fibre' as well as ADSL services. In fact they won't notice any difference as the WAN will be being presented to them over Ethernet (that's what the modem does - it converts <something> into Ethernet(*). The only problem you might have with an older router originally bought for an ADSL service is that the throughput of an FTTC service might too high for the router. Routers have to process and route packets and an ageing router may simply not have enough CPU power or RAM to keep pace with a decent FTTC connection.
(*)Combined boxes simply have the connection between modem and router done on their motherboard whereas separate boxes have a socket to plug a cable into.
daro2096
Grafter

eBay sells the router I am using second hand. £5 though there are no UK sellers that I could see.
daro2096
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue
Quote from: daro2096
All routers will work with all 'fibre' as well as ADSL services. In fact they won't notice any difference as the WAN will be being presented to them over Ethernet (that's what the modem does - it converts <something> into Ethernet(*). The only problem you might have with an older router originally bought for an ADSL service is that the throughput of an FTTC service might too high for the router. Routers have to process and route packets and an ageing router may simply not have enough CPU power or RAM to keep pace with a decent FTTC connection.
(*)Combined boxes simply have the connection between modem and router done on their motherboard whereas separate boxes have a socket to plug a cable into.

It copes with 38mb fibre connection fine but I am using a wired eternet connection. I don't know how it performs over wifi.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You often get the new Hub One on eBay for around £30-£40
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up