Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet servers down last night?

FIXED
neilamartin
Dabbler

Plusnet servers down last night?

Last night (early this morning, 10/9/21) I was unable to watch the US tennis on Prime because my router got kicked out of Plusnet and couldn't log back in till sometime very late. Was there a problem with the Plusnet servers?

This has happened a few times recently (you can check my logs, of course). The Plusnet service appears less dependable of late. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

Neil Martin

7 REPLIES 7
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Plusnet servers down last night?

Hi @neilamartin
Plusnet use BT wholesale and Openreach to provide the connection between customer premises and the Plusnet servers.
BT wholesale perform maintenance and upgrade actvities overnight when fewer people use the internet.
If the internet connectivity is occssionally lost overnight it is usually due to BT wholesale maintenance.
Regards
Richard
neilamartin
Dabbler

Thanks very much for responding, Richard.

My post also mentions other occasions when my connection has dropped. Those took place in the daytime, and therefore not explained by BT Wholesale overnight maintenance.

I am still concerned.

Diolch

Neil

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi @neilamartin

I'm sorry to see you've had a drop in your connection on Thursday night. I've checked your connection log and I can see the drop from 00:15 10/Sep/2021 to 02:05 10/Sep/2021 but testing your line isn't showing the cause for this. Unfortunately as your connection has been stable prior to and following then, we can't investigate a single drop. 

It's very likely it's down to overnight maintenance although it's hard to confirm this because we can't see historically if there was a service outage. You mention your connection had dropped at other times? When were they? I've attached below a log of your connection going back to the 3rd September.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
neilamartin
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf 

Thanks very much for looking into my comments. It's because I've had excellent support over the years that I've stuck with Plusnet, and this is another example of that support.

Perhaps you could mention to BT Wholesale that nowadays there are ways of maintaining servers that don't necessitate outages for the consumer 😉

I don't have a list of the other drop-outs I've experienced over the last few months. I notice them because my son works and games from home and he lets me know in no uncertain terms when an outage occurs. The outages are not frequent enough (yet) to warrant keeping records, especially as my fibre connection has 300m of copper wire to travel before it's switched to light.

Thanks again for responding to my message.

Diolch

Neil

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@neilamartin As @Gandalf should have gone home by now, a couple of comments. The BT maintenance may not be just servers, but actual infrastructure (cables/exchanges/PCP's) which need physical intervention.

Also, could you consider marking his reply as the 'Fix' - rather than yours?

John
neilamartin
Dabbler

>>> Also, could you consider marking his reply as the 'Fix' - rather than yours?

Done.

Apologies - I presumed that the fix would mark the thread and not the message. Obviously I don't spend much time here, mostly because I don't need to 🙂

Diolch. Neil

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

No problem, Neil, and thanks.

John