cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet’s Notification of Speed Email

DavidT

Plusnet’s Notification of Speed Email

We migrated from Sky’s ordinary broadband to Plusnet’s fibre exactly 2 weeks ago and, true to their word, Plusnet have sent me an email telling me what my line speeds are.  Trouble is the figures don’t make sense.
We were original estimated to get 9Mbs on Fibre (not spectacular, but way better than the 4Mbs Sky were delivering on ordinary broadband at the same price PN charge for fibre).
I’ve been running Speedtest regularly since migration and we are actually getting between 11 and 12 Mbs.
But this morning’s email says:
"Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 5Mbps
Current line speed: 40Mbps"

What’s going on?  Shocked
Update: I've clicked on a link in the email and it gives me:
Telephone number:xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone exchange:READING SOUTH
Estimated line speed:9Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-10-03 21:00:09
Current line speed: 40 Mbs
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Plusnet’s Notification of Speed Email

Basically your speed is governed by the IP Profile managed by BT. You can get this from a BT speedtest at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ . Given your estimate of 5Mb an IP Profile of around 11Mb ( which it must be to give those speedtests ) sounds pretty good. In addition, PlusNet have a Current Line Speed which is used by the traffic prioritisation system to ensure that data is not sent down the pipe to you faster than it can handle. This Line speed is meant to follow any changes in the Profile managed by BT by use of the 'delta' reports sent by BT to PN. On a new connection the PN Line speed is set to either 40Mb ( or 80Mb for a Fibre Extra ) and is then adjusted as the line stablilises and 'delta' reports are received. Sometimes delta reports go missing and I would guess that is what's happened in your case and so the Line Speed is still set at 40Mb.
The email you received is an automated one and just extracts the current data from your account.
So nothing to worry about really, eventually your PN line speed will adjust... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DavidT

Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Actually there is something that I missed. Your actual estimate for Fibre is 9Mb, the 5mb on the automated email is the ADSL estimate. Again nothing to worry about,  your actual speed is still better than the estimate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi DavidT,
Are you still having problems at the moment? I note that one of my colleagues has raised a fault for you on our web site (faults.plus.net).
The testing performed appears to be OK and within specification but I cannot see any speed tests. If you could please provide this from the link that MisterW provided, it would prove useful. Thanks,
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
DavidT

Tony,
I wasn't having problems as such.  But when looking on PN site for explanation of email i received got into webchat with your colleague.  Happened to mention upload speeds, at which point he looked and detected fault on the line, which he reported.  Next day (yesterday) BT chap appears (I was out, wife in) hhc.  He spent time tracing  along cable between us and cabinet, some way  away and eventually rerouted us to better cable serving other houses.  Got us extra 3Mbpsto around 14.5, although not sure ever actually found fault.
Running the BT test in MisterW post
Down 14.86
Up 0.67
Ping Latency 41.25
Is that ping latency the same as the ping shown in Speedtest.net which I usually use?  The speeds are similar on both tests, but Speedtest ping usually 15-30, while BT ping figure consistently over 40.
Overall more than content with download speed, but a bit disappointed at upload being little different to what I got with Sky ADSL.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Thanks for the update. I've tried to do a full test for you but it failed. I wanted to concentrate on your upload speeds which, on the face of it look a little disappointing. Based on the engineer notes though, I think they are as good as they will get.
The ping test itself is the same and I'd expect the results to be closer together. Any number of things can cause a variation in results though, most notably server location and current activity at the time of the test.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
DavidT

Can you explain why the upload speeds are so low?
grahamt
Rising Star

In my experience the ping figure given by the BT speedtest is consistently higher than the figure given by speedtest.net, and the difference between the figures you report look normal. I've no idea which figure is more accurate, mind.
DavidT

Thanks Graham for confirming my observation.
But back to previous question, can someone in explain why when moving from ADSL to Fibre I see an almost 3x improvement in download speeds, but no change in upload?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you run the BT diagnostic test, what does it say for your upstream IP profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DavidT

Jelv, not sure if this is the test you mean, but it says:
"Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.67Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps"
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: DavidT
But back to previous question, can someone in explain why when moving from ADSL to Fibre I see an almost 3x improvement in download speeds, but no change in upload?

There are a lot of technical reasons, but in general, it appears that the upstream speed can drop off faster with distance (from the cabinet) than downstream speeds. In fact, it can be the limiting factor as to whether service is possible at all.
One reason is the fact that much of the speed improvements - both upstream and downstream - come about at higher frequencies than the ADSL service: the downstream side gets the first set of extended frequencies (from 2MHz up to 3.5MHz), while upstream gets the next set (from 3.5MHz up to 5MHz). The longer lines (as yours appears to be), can't make much use of the higher frequencies - and the limitations apply to both downstream and upstream. Without the ability to use those frequencies above 3.5MHz, you won't get an improvement in upstream speed; but if you can make use of frequencies up to 3.5MHz, you will still see improved downstream speeds. Some lines getting as much as 18Mbps (downstream) don't see an improvement in upstream, as all their improvement in the downstream happens below 3.5MHz.
Quote from: DavidT
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps"

It is the right test, and the profile confirms that the underlying package (at BT Openreach) is the 80/20 service.
Unfortunately, the upstream profile value never changes from the maximum possible, so will always say 20Mbps even when your line can only sync at 1Mbps or less.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.