cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router taking a while to respond / sudden slow browsing

rnbetsy

Plusnet router taking a while to respond / sudden slow browsing

No real questions here, just info from my only issue i've had with plusnet after a year, not sure if this has popped up before?
Using the Plusnet technicolor TG582n. From the 31/7/15, browsing was slow, sometimes had to request a page a couple of times etc (Not a DNS issue). Ping's from laptop to google were all over the place (sometimes fine, other times high 3 digits). Pings from TBB to my router had started to sometimes drop. It was only when I tried a few traceroutes from my laptop I saw it was the router (wired) taking from 1/2/3ms up to 500ms to respond  Angry Telnet on the router was also sometimes really slow.
Instead of messing about requesting a replacement, I tried an old TP-Link router which stopped the dropped pings/slow browsing but for whatever reason kept getting 'stuck' and needing a restart, updated its firmware and had the same problem.
I ended up buying a HH4r which has fixed all the problems, with the added bonus of the 5GHz/generally better wifi.
TBB graphs below
31/8/15

1/9/15

4/9/15

2 REPLIES 2
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Plusnet router taking a while to respond / sudden slow browsing

I used a TG582n and never saw any of these issues with it (maybe you had a faulty router). I changed to a HH5A because the wireless coverage of the TG582n was poor. The HH5A has improved the wifi coverage tremendously.
The TG582n does get a lot of criticism but I found it totally reliable in the couple of years I used it. My only gripe being the poor wifi coverage. I haven't used the newer Plusnet 'Hub Zero' but from what I have read, it makes the TG582n look like a high end router.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet router taking a while to respond / sudden slow browsing

Quote from: rnbetsy
Using the Plusnet technicolor TG582n. From the 31/7/15, browsing was slow, sometimes had to request a page a couple of times etc (Not a DNS issue).

I remember having the same issue a while back. Funnily enough my issue went away swapping out the Technicolor router for a TP-Link too.