cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router requirements ?

bazzer9
Grafter

Plusnet router requirements ?

I'm in the process of switching from BT Infinity 1 to Plusnet Fibre 1 and have been informed by Plusnet that my broadband will go live on 17 Oct. At the moment I'm waiting to receive the Plusnet router which I'm told is in the post.
Will the Plusnet router need to be connected to an Openreach box to work ?
When i first joined BT they supplied me with a BtHub3 router and Openreach box. Subsequently they replaced this with a BTHub5 router which does not require the Openreach box so I returned it to BT along with the BTHub3 router.
If I do need an Openreach box how should I go about obtaining one ?
Would appreciate your advice.
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet router requirements ?

you can use your HH5, though PN should have ordered an engineer that will bring an OR modem with it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bazzer9
Grafter

Thanks Dvorak for your prompt reply.
I was told that it was not advisable to use the BTHub5 router on the Plusnet network because Plusnet may not be able to provide technical support in case of problems with it. The questions still remains -- does the plusnet router require an Openreach box ?
Plusnet have said that I don't need an engineering visit because having used BT Infinity 1 I'm  already connected for Fibre.
Have now emailed Plusnet customer support for their opinion.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have a problem which Plusnet need to sort out
If you don't need an engineer visit - which is correct on a fibre/fibre migration then you won't get a modem and the Plusnet router won't work
So either they send you a modem (I don't think they can) or provide a fibre router which has a modem or just accept your HH5
To add - if you paid for a Plusnet Router then they must either give you the postage back as it will be useless or somehow get a modem to you
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If they are sending you the Plusnet router then yes you need a BT Openreach modem to plug the Plusnet router into. It's exactly the same way you did things with your HH3, only change the HH3 for the Plusnet router (See pic).
I came from a BT Infinity HH3 setup, so still had the openreach modem.
AndyT
Grafter

Hi bazzer9,
I tried to call you this morning to discuss but was unable to get through, I'll try again this afternoon.
Andy
bazzer9
Grafter

Hi Andy T,
Perhaps the reason you couldn't get through to me this morning was thag I was on long call with BT Customer Diservices  Angry
I shall be at home this afternoon until about 4 pm. Alternatively you could email me.
Cheers !
bazzer9
Grafter

Andy called me barely 5 minutes after my last post and resolved the problem. Kudos to him.
Now that's what I call service   Wink Cheesy