cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router failing to sync

johnhalewood

Plusnet router failing to sync

Been having this for a while now, but it's getting silly. Line has been in for a month now, but previously had an ADSL connection from Demon / Vodafone that never had an issue.

Router spends around 12+ hours a day just flashing orange (i.e. not syncing). Internal network is very simple - only one socket (dated, doesn't have a test socket, probably 1970s), microfilter, lead and router as supplied. Looking at the logs the line drop is always preceded by the infamous "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" message. Logs on the router suggest it's trying to start a connection, but nothing happens until I reboot and get lucky (most reboots fail). 

Additionally, the line speed (when it manages to connect) is about half of what I signed up for - upstream is generally slower than with ADSL. Guessing this may be an external fault or do I need a decent modem / router?

5 REPLIES 5
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: Plusnet router failing to sync

Hi @johnhalewood and welcome to the forums!

Please accept my apologies for the issue with your broadband service.

After testing the line, we are detecting a copper joint fault close to or in your property. As you have completed the diagnostics that you can to rule out internal wiring/equipment, could you kindly reply to the fault ticket here with your availability for an engineers visit. The time-slots are weekdays between 8am - 1pm or 1pm - 6pm.

Once you have replied, let us know on here so we can pick it up as soon as possible.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
johnhalewood

Hi,

I've replied to the ticket with available times etc.

Thanks for the swift response

Regards

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks John,

I've booked you in for an engineer visit tomorrow morning between 8am and 1pm.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
johnhalewood

That turned out to be quite a session - not one fault but two. Openreach guy had diagnosed the initial problem before I opened the door by looking at the cable from my house to the telegraph pole, fixed that then found another at the cabinet - lead wiring that had got wet.

Took all morning to get it sorted but tested and it's connecting at 80/20 Mb/s. Unfortunately the Plusnet router still wouldn't sync up - must be something wrong with it. Using a spare one has got me back online though..

Thanks for your help on this one.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for the update John,

I'm glad to see the engineer managed to fix the problems and you're back up to full speed now Thumbs_Up

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet