Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router broken

dougle25
Dabbler

Plusnet router broken

Hi

Can someone please tell me if Plusnet will give me a free router , as the one I have is broken. It is one that plusnet gave me when I went to fibre. Plusnet Sagemcom 2704N Wireless Router. Its the one that stand up.

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Plusnet router broken

dougle25
Dabbler

its a good 2 years + old

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you are out (or nearly out) of contract a new 2704n will just cost the £6.99 postage IF you sign up to a new contract (otherwise it's £40 plus the postage.)

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

You do have other options including buying your own router and moving to another ISP that will provide a router for free.

I have never understood why PlusNet's policy in this situation was to encourage exit by charging full price for their replacement router. If you stay, you can probably buy something better than the PlusNet offering in any case.

dougle25
Dabbler

Can I buy any router ?   will this one do         http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1227291

Thanks for your help

Happy Christmas

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@BrightonRock wrote:

I have never understood why PlusNet's policy in this situation was to encourage exit by charging full price for their replacement router. If you stay, you can probably buy something better than the PlusNet offering in any case.

To be honest I have never seen an ISP give you a free router 2 years after taking service, unless you go to a new contract then you tend to get a new router in free again. If you re contract you would get the new Hub1 which some hate but I think its got pretty decent wifi and been quite stable.

If you look at hte lieks of SKy, if your STB dies after warranty you are buying a full price new box etc.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

yes, the TL-WR841n is comparable to the 2704n, will work with existing Openreach fibre modem.  You will need to manually enter your full plusnet username (eg. username@plusdsl.net) and password.

Just log into new router using web browser, and run Quick Setup.  Choose 'PPPoE/Russian PPPoE' option.

TL-WR841n emulator:

http://static.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-WR841ND_V10/Index.htm

If you wish to eliminate the Openreach modem, then you can purchase a new router which must have a built in VDSL modem, but these will cost considerably more.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@MrSilver wrote:

To be honest I have never seen an ISP give you a free router 2 years after taking service

A fair point.

But PlusNet only give 12 month guarantee on their routers even if one has a 18 month or 24 month contract. BT will (or at least used to) replace a router for free any time if one were still in contract.

Also PlusNet don't legally sell you the router: it is free. If one bought a router, legislation would probably provide that the guarantee would be longer.