Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet profile update?

FIXED
Marcuswood73
Dabbler

Plusnet profile update?

Just upgraded to fibre from adsl and been having issues with speed. Plusnet profile was showing 37mb but download speed not moving much past 10mb. Now profile shows 11.5mb and speedtest looks like it can manage in excess of the 11.3 its registering. Im connected to phone extension at mo but tried test socket on master and router shows download at 38 and upload at 2. Just wondering if the plusnet line speed was increased back to 37mb if that would change my download/upload stats at extension
Thinking of putting vdsl plate on master and running rj11 cable to router in different room. Cant move router as it is connected to other bits of kit in there via ethernet cables. Any help greatly appreciated
34 REPLIES 34
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Plusnet profile update?

Welcome to the community forums @Marcuswood73.

It's likely your profile was set at 38Mbps by the account once the fibre order completed. However following this, your connection does seem to be in sync quite a bit lower than I'd expect.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 14.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.8 Mbps

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 38.7 27.4 7.5 5.7 -- Available -- --

Might be worth raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Im connected to phone extension at mo but tried test socket on master and router shows download at 38 and upload at 2.

@HarryB, That sounds like an internal wiring problem to me.

@Marcuswood73, Are all your phones connected via filters ?

Might be worth checking that the 'ring wire' isn't connected to the extensions http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Just wondering if the plusnet line speed was increased back to 37mb if that would change my download/upload stats at extension

It's the other way round I'm afraid , the low connection speed at the extension has lowered your line speed. Getting the connection speed back up will bring your line speed back up (eventually?)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marcuswood73
Dabbler

I tested the router with test socket on master and connection speeds both up and down on router were as i was told they would be when signed up. I agree it is likely to be internal wiring problem. Heard about the ring wire thing but not entirely sure what im supposed to do. Took a pic of wiring in master socket so if you could explain that would be great.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

OK, from that picture, you DO have the ring wire connected and so that will likely be affecting the speed. You need to disconnect the orange/white wires from terminals 3 & 4 taking care not to disturb the blue/white ones on termianls 5 & 2.

Instructions from the link to the kitz site

To disconnect the ring wire, carefully pull the wires out of the IDC terminals numbered 3 and 4, leaving only wires 2 and 5 connected. The photograph on the right shows an NTE5 faceplate with the ringwire disconnected, and tucked out of the way.

In some cases, it is only necessary to disconnect the wire from the master socket, but it may be necessary to disconnect it from all extension sockets too, particularly if you have a "star" wired system.

In your case you should also disconnect the ring wire at the extension sockets, looks like you have 2 from the wiring, as if these are are left connected they can still act like an aerial. Again , it's the oranage/white wires on terminals 3 & 4. When you've got that all disconnected , check the connection speed at the extension, that may be all that's needed to get a decent speed or you may need to improve the wiring. BTW try not to disconnect/reconnect the router too often as it will also affect the proile (although in your case I'm not sure it could get much worse!)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marcuswood73
Dabbler

Ok thanks for that info. Presumably I wouldn't need to do that if i put a vdsl faceplate on and ran the rj11 cable to the router as that would isolate the signal. Although the other half would appreciate me not running the cable!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Correct. Although you should use decent quality e.g Cat5 cable if you're running a new extension.

TBH I'd give removing the ring wires a go, it might just solve your problem without further cabling.

Marcuswood73
Dabbler

I have disconnected ring wires in master and noticed immediate improvement in download/upload speeds. Now 17/0.9 mb. Will disconnect from extensions too. Thanks for your help
Marcuswood73
Dabbler

I have now disconnected all ring wires from master and extensions. Speeds now are 17.15 and 0.91. Are these final or will they increase if left. I know speeds at master test socket were 37 and 2 so presume internal wiring not up to that speed. If i fit vdsl faceplate and run rj11 cable to router will i get same speeds as test socket?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are those speeds the actual connection speed from the modem or speed test results ?

Marcuswood73
Dabbler

Router connection shows
Downstream 17.16 mbps
Upstream 953 kbps

Speedtest.net shows ping 11ms
Download 11.41mbps
Upload. 0.84 mbps
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah, I was hoping that it was a speeedtest result and that it was just that the profile had been lowered due to the previous low connection speed. If the connection speed is still that low (compared to the test socket 38Mb) then there is still an internal wiring issue.

TBH I'm surprised that extension wiring alone is causing that large a drop in connection speed. So before you go to the extent of routing another CAT5 cable...

How long are the extensions ?

Are you sure that there aren't any unfiltered phone connections ? any alarm systems ? sky boxes ?

maybe you could describe your setup in more detail

Marcuswood73
Dabbler

The master socket in the hall is connected via filter to the main phone. Additional handsets connected to mains. One extension across the hall in next room is connected via filter to Hub One.Hub One is connected via ethernet to cctv,sonos boost, ee boostbox and laptop. Other extension is pretty much above the hall connected by filter to alarm system. Sky box connected via filter as well. House is about 10 years old. I guess the way things are going. Interestingly testing speeds on wireless are exactly the same as wired. I have been posting the wired speeds here.

I have restarted the router since removing the ring wires but wondered if I should turn it off and on again instead. Obviously want to minimise the number of times I do this as i presume this will be interpreted as an unstable connection. The current sync speed is showing as 16.5mb

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Interestingly testing speeds on wireless are exactly the same as wired. I have been posting the wired speeds here.

That's not surprising , wireless is perfectly capable of delivering the low speeds you're getting. You should ignore the actual download speed for the moment , it's the connection speed reported by the router that needs to improve. It might be worth disconnecting some of the other things plugged into the extensions if possible to try and see if any of them are causing the problem. The ethernet connections are no problem and won't be affecting it.

I'd disconnect the sky box anyway, there's no requirement to have it connected to the telephone anymore if it's connected to the internet. Disconnect the alarm system temporarily if possible.

Can you post the routers stats including the SNR figures before and after disconnecting please so that we can see if it makes any difference.

Marcuswood73
Dabbler

was just about to try disconnecting the skybox and alarm to see if it made a difference when the router rebooted itself. These are the new stats

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:02:25
Downstream: 22.47 Mbps
Upstream:

527 Kbps

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ63016178
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated 10/10/16
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:04:31
6. Data rate: 527 / 22465
7. Maximum data rate: 677 / 22335