Did you mean: 

Plusnet problem with Samsung TVs

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet problem with Samsung TVs

Thanks!

So, @jgb has fixed the issue with a wired connection, but not for @BufferingBill or @JannieH Huh

For the record, the two TV's I had were older. A UE46-F5500 and a UE39-F5300. All of your devices are using Samsung's proprietary software and not Android correct?

Speaking of which, it would be useful to know what software version's the TV's are running and whether or not they're up to date. I assume this can be checked in the settings somewhere?

Next step is to try and locate a TV within this range that I can try replicating the issue with.

If this was simply a wireless issue, then I'd potentially we try another firmware build, but as it's happening with a wired connection as well this doesn't make much sense at the moment.

Edit: @BufferingBill, I'm also keen we get your older router set-up so we can conclusively prove that this issue does not occur when switching to that.

For those without access to an alternatively router, you could try connecting to a mobile hotspot if your smartphone/data plan allows it. I'd be interested to know if the problem goes away when doing this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JannieH
Dabbler

I did run a software check on the TV & it said software was up to date

BufferingBill
Hooked

Like with @JannieH , my software is also up to date.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Has anyone tried setting a static IP and DNs on the TV ? Assuming of course that there is a facility to do that?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi All, 

Can I ask if you notice buffering/latency issues on your other devices at the same time as it happens on the TV, or it is only happening on the TV ?

Reading through this thread I can't seem to see any mention of this - apologies if I have missed this in above messages.

Thanks, 

MoR 

BufferingBill
Hooked

Other devices are fine. Plusnet router has a problem with Samsung TV Iplayer app. You can watch Ch4 and ITv no problem but basically you can’t stream BBC with Plusnet if you have a Samsung smart tv.
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@MasterOfReality 

As I said above, I had the issue when using wifi on one Samsung TV but not on another slightly older Samsung TV. 

I rarely watch BBC iPlayer on any devices other than TV but on the rare occasions I do, I have not noticed the issue but then I am only watching for a short time.

@bobpullen 

The two Samsung TVs you tested which did not exhibit the problem are the same generation as the second TV I have which is also free of the issue. As I said Samsung appear to use a different engine in the "H" series TVs which do have the problem than the "F" series ones which do not.

The "H" series TV I have (which I now have wired to the router with no issues) is running software version 2880 (now at least two years old) and there are no newer versions available according to the TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For my 10p's worth of experience I have several Samsung TV and my main one a UE55KS8000, was and still is useless when using WiFi or LAN the only way I could watch anything via this medium was to use either my AppleTV or (ironically) via my Samsung Blu Ray UBD-M7500.

JannieH
Dabbler

It's very rare one of us would be using the laptop when having iPlayer on TV.  I will though try the 2 together this afternoon to find out what happens.

JannieH
Dabbler

Just been watch iPlayer on TV & also using laptop.  TV froze after 15mins but no problem with the Laptop buffering

JannieH
Dabbler

There hasn't been any more responses from the Plusnet team regarding this problem with Plusnet, Samsung & iPlayer for a few days, is there nothing more Plusnet can find out that could resolve this problem.

There have been several posts about this problem over the past few years & suggestions from others of things to try ie. an Amazon Firestick, Powerline adapter, wifi booster & 3rd party routers have all been suggested.  I would be interested to know if  anyone with this problem has actually tried any of these items & been able to get iPlayer working again on their Samsung TV.  

barnyandpippa
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have 3 Samsung TVs, D, F and H series. One is wired, two are WiFi. I haven’t seen this problem with any of them. The BBC decided that I didn’t want iPlayer on the D series any more but it worked up to the point they felt they could make my telly less useful.

I am using the Netgear WN3500 router that was supplied by PN 8 or 9 years ago.

At least PlusNet has a tech support. Once Samsung have banked your money, you are on your own.