cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet problem with Samsung TVs

BufferingBill
Hooked

Plusnet problem with Samsung TVs

We recently switched from Utility Warehouse to Plusnet fibre and, boy, do we regret it. All we do is stream tv and browse on phones yet the service can not cope with these 3 devices. After less than 30 minutes, the Plusnet service buffers continuously when streaming from the Samsung tv iplayer app . It is only cleared by switching off the tv and effectively re-booting. I have tried changing the WiFi channel on numerous times but to no effect. Tech support have now washed their hands of the issue claiming it’s not their problem. Well, Utility Warehouse never had this problem, so something isn’t right at Plusnet. Anyone able to advise and do their job for them?
26 REPLIES 26
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Plusnet problem with Samsung TVs

There is another topic on this forum on the same issue:

Plunet Community / Forum / Help with my Plusnet Services / Fibre Broadband / iPlayer freezing on Samsung TV

There have also been other threads on this issue in the past so it does not seem as though Plusnet have done or are doing anything to address the problem. 

Are you using Plusnet's router? If so, have you tried reverting your previous router. If that works, it would point to an issue with the Plusnet router and the Samsung TV wifi card. As I said in the other thread, I had the same problem on wifi but do not have it when I use a wired connection.

BufferingBill
Hooked

Yes, I’m using the Plusnet router. When I suggested reverting to my Utility Warehouse router, tech support said they were unable to help me set it up. Helpful bunch, aren’t they?
They also suggested I tried a wired connection so I had both router and tv in the middle of the floor with the wires stretched taut (great solution, eh?) At first it seemed a lot better but eventually the problem returned.
Plusnet clearly has a problem with Samsung. This could end up being a very expensive switch if I need to buy a new TV.
THP155
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi @BufferingBill .  FWIW I'm running 2 Samsung Smart TVs and a Sony Bravia off the Plusnet Fibre Extra product with no issues.  I'm usinga BB Home Hub 6 (BT Smart Hub) on WiFi for the Samsungs and ethernet for the Sony.  When I first had PlusNet and used the Plusnet Hub One the WiFi performance was pretty awful. If you get at least 10Mbs downstream you should be able to stream on at least 2 devices without buffering (maybe not on HD).  My money would be on the router, which is nothing more than a tweaked and re-badged BT Home Hub 5.  You can get a decent smart hub off the auction site for around 20 quid - it's definitely worth a punt!!  Make sure that you get the correct version for your service (FTTC FTTP etc).

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @BufferingBill and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having connection issues as of recent. I've fully checked over your connection for any underlying issues and everything looks to be spot on from this side to the router therefore it certainly seems like a wireless interference related issue as you've described.
From the sounds of it you've already done a number of steps to try optimise your router settings to suite your property however below are a few tips that may help further if the initial few channel changes and splitting of frequencies have shown no different.

Firstly, one of the main checks we'd recommend is making sure that there's no large electronic or metal objects near the router. This being that it can cause wireless interference from the get go and could explain the lack of improvement after the setting tweaks you've previously made.

When trying to find the best wireless channel (for the 2.4GHz frequency) there are tools that can help, one of which being an apple available on the android store called 'wifi analyser' which will allow you to scan your area to see what other routers are around and what wireless channel they're on. This or other applications like this can help make it clearer to see which channel is best suited for your property.

When deciding which of your devices go on the split 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, we'd advise to keep in mind that the 5GHz frequency is designed for close range stationary devices whilst the standard 2.4GHz frequency being that which does the heavy lifting as it gets the wireless signal further around the property. Some customer we're aware of have also disabled the 5GHz frequency completely and saw improvement to their 2.4GHz connected devices and may be something worth a try also.

Ultimately, due to the nature of the technology and mass amount of things that can effect this connection type both out of our and your control, we amongst with most other providers can't guarantee you a set wireless performance. We do advise and offer suggestions where we can however we do see from time to time that non of the steps you've previously tried or above additional steps or checks make any different and at which point we'd recommend looking towards 3rd party equipment for aid. Whether this be power line adapters to transfer a wired connection using your properties internal wiring, wifi boosters to help strengthen the wireless signal within your property and help drown out interference/other router signals in the area or there's also looking into 3rd party routers that are compatible with your connection type that can offer a stronger wireless connection than most standard routers.

I hope this gives you a few more things to try which hopefully help resolve the wireless issues you've been seeing.

BufferingBill
Hooked

I’d love to revert to my Utility Warehouse router (which had no problems) but tech support won’t help me set it up and I’m no techie. Seems they’d rather let me vent on forums for all to see. Be warned! This is what you get when you switch provider simply to save money. 18 months without the BBC (except on a phone screen)
“Huddle over an IPhone screen to catch the latest BBC programmes with Plusnet”

BufferingBill
Hooked

This is a rote response which I’ve heard several times already from tech support. There is a clear line of sight between router and tv with no metal objects in between.
As the streaming is only an issue between Plusnet and the Samsung Iplayer app (our Iphones stream fine) it would appear to be a problem with the router rather than the channel. Utility Warehouse did not have this problem with their router. I would like Plusnet tech support to help me revert to my old router rather than allow this bad service issue to fester.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@BufferingBill,

The support lines generally won't assist with third party router setups (very few ISPs offer that support). 

If you want to use your Utility Warehouse router if you can provide us the make and model of the router and we'll try and find some instructions and offer some support to get you setup with that. 

jgb
Champion

Plusnet Technical Support are unlikely to have any expertise in setting up a router other than those supplied by Plusnet and so it is possibly unreasonable to expect them to help. There are dozens of different routers out there!

If you know the make and model of the router that Utility Warehouse supplied to you then, if you google it, you will probably find the set up guide or manual for it. This should have enough information to enable you to get it working with Plusnet, unless it is locked to Utility Warehouse.

When you joined Plusnet they will have sent you an email that gives you your broadband login name (something like username@plusdsl.net) which you need to put into the router broadband configuration page along with your Plunet password. 

If you post the router make and model on this forum you might find someone familiar with it who can help.

Alternatively as @THP155 has suggested get a BT Smarthub from a well known auction site and set that up. There are threads on these forums to tell you how to so so, but the set up guide that comes with those is simple to follow. 

BufferingBill
Hooked

I just wish Plusnet were upfront about what to expect from their service before luring in new customers. Samsung is probably the nation’s most popular brand of TV. To provide a router which does not work with the Samsung Iplayer app is frankly a disgrace and I believe a clear case of misrepresentation especially when rival companies such as Utility Warehouse can get it right. All we use the internet for is to stream TV and browse on our phones. Sadly, this has not proved possible with Plusnet fibre. Plusnet should state in BIG BOLD LETTERING:
“You may find that the Plusnet router does not support streaming the BBC on Samsung smart TVs”
New customers should not be expected to purchase new routers or to fiddle around with complex technical set up options in order to use their service. People would be outraged if they bought a brand new car only to be told to buy extra components and to fiddle about with the engine in order to get it to work. The same applies here.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @BufferingBill,

I am sorry you are experiencing these issues with your connection and can assure you we will always try to help where possible. However Due to the router not being manufactured by us it is not within our remit to setup. However we would be more than happy to find any information to support where we can if you can supply us with the make and model of that router.

In regards to our router, are you seeing an issue with streaming while connected via wire when other or any devices are in use?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I too have a couple of Samsung TV's and have never noticed any problems streaming iPlayer content when using a Hub One. The devices are wired directly to the router though.

@BufferingBill, as others have alluded to, I'm sure folk round these parts would be happy providing some guidance in setting your old router up if you can confirm what make/model of device it is. Normally it's just a case of locating where your broadband username and password are stored and replacing with:

Username: <username you use to log into Plusnet website>@plusdsl.net
Password: <password you use to log into plusnet website>

e.g.

myusername@plusdsl.net
password123

Regarding the Samsung TV issue: we are not aware of any incompatibilities that exist between our router and the TV. Some information that would be useful to know:-

• What model of TV is it?
  • Does the issue affect wireless connectivity, wired connectivity, or both? (make sure both have been tried)
  • If wireless, try giving two separate names to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. Connect the TV to each in turn and see if the issue occurs on both. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JannieH
Dabbler

The Samsung TV model number is UE40H5500AK.

The problem was happening via wireless connection so I connected with the ethernet cable & still had the same problem.

When the problem first occurred I reinstalled the apps on the Smart Hub & checked for software updates, they were up to date.

I have done as suggested, I gave two separate names to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels.  I connected the TV to 5GHz & it froze after 20mins.  I connected it to 2.4GHz & it froze after 10mins.

jgb
Champion

@bobpullen 

I experienced similar issues as @JannieH with my Samsung UE40H6400 TV. IPlayer froze after 15 minutes or so when using either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wifi channels. The TV was within 3 metres of the Hub 1 router.I then tried a wired connection, and so far (fingers crossed after more than a year or two) it has not happened again. There were similar issues with Amazon Prime on wifi when we trialled it, but not with other catch up services or with Netflix.

Judging by the model number that TV is the same generation as @JannieH  's TV and presumably uses the same smart engine.

Another older Samsung TV UE22F5400 which is further from the router and in a different room has not exhibited the problem. That TV uses a different smart engine.

Hope this info helps.

BufferingBill
Hooked

I’ve also tried the same solutions as @JannieH. The Plusnet router has a problem with the Iplayer app. It simply freezes after about 30mins and you have to power down and re-boot. It’s hopeless!
My tv is Samsung UE32H6200AK.