cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet pricing where fibres go to a large exchange

machare
Rising Star

Plusnet pricing where fibres go to a large exchange

Plusnet charge more if your telephone line is connected to a small exchange, but why do they do this for FTTC when the fibres from the cabinet go to a different exchange where there is LLU operators equipment.

11 REPLIES 11
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet pricing where fibres go to a large exchange

I think the answer is very simple: to get more money.

I think there is no different Market A/B pricing for FTTC, you certainly won't find any looking in any of the published Openreach and BTWholesale price lists.

Plusnet are quite happy for people to assume that there must be some reason for the higher prices, that it's due to Ofcom or Plusnet's suppliers, when it really isn't. You're asking about the telephone exchange and LLU operator presence, but that's irrelevant.

You might even get some complete garbage insisting it's not that some prices are higher, it's that some prices aren't lower. Crazy

machare
Rising Star

Plusnet keep talking about low cost areas to justify their high prices in other areas. My argument is that if FTTC comes from an exchange for a low cost area then I should be offered low cost prices. As it is I find it more economic to use a different supplier. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero

But there should not be any high or low cost areas for FTTC. FTTC costs Plusnet the same everywhere.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @machare

Thanks for getting in touch regarding Fibre pricing.

As has been touched on in previous replies, the current OFCOM regulation stipulates what classes as a Market A or Market B area with the cost of provision differing accordingly. As a company we pay more at a wholesale level to provide a service in Market A areas.

Take this example: https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SLMOS (Mosborough exchange). You may notice that only a few companies have chosen to invest in the infrastructure of this exchange which in turn keeps wholesale overheads high.

It's worth noting that OFCOM have reviewed market banding and coverage recently and more information on how they're handling market distinction going forward can be found here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/wholesale-local-access-market-revie...

Best Wishes,

Dave

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Please could you post a link or screen shot of a BT Wholesale page which shows different prices being charged for Fibre connections on Market A and Market B exchanges.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
machare
Rising Star

@RandallFlagg.

Thank you for your reply.  Where I am an ADSL service would come from the local Market A exchange, Trearddur Bay. However I am told that FTTC would come from Amlwch where there are LLU operators. Does Plusnet consider Amlwch to be low cost?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Did @RandallFlagg intend to give an example of a Market B exchange with probably all (both) the large LLU operators present?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@jelv's exact wording has reminded me that there is one difference in the BTWholesale WBC FTTC price list: the FTTC cease fee is zero in Market A (the no competition high cost area) vs. £31.12 ex. VAT in Market B. The zero wholesale cease fee in Market A for all services is due to Ofcom. Funnily enough it doesn't seem to affect Plusnet's cease charge.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

I have tried in the past to get Plusnet to say whether it costs them more to no avail. It's very easy to complain about this alleged rip off to Ofcom. The more of us that do the more likely it is that something will be done. Is 'Rip off Britain' still running on the telly?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

machare
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

Just take your business elsewhere. Where I am, John Lewis ADSL broadband is cheaper that Plusnet's. I moved to Vodafone FTTC which is competitively priced.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1 wrote:

I have tried in the past to get Plusnet to say whether it costs them more to no avail.

Plusnet have repeatedly claimed that it does cost them more. That is obviously their official line to say, and then ignore it until it goes away. It costing Plusnet more does not necessarily mean the wholesale prices are different. For example, people using more bandwidth or taking up more support staff time would ultimately cost Plusnet more if they have to rent more bandwidth or hire more staff to cope with the demands.

As a company we pay more at a wholesale level to provide a service in Market A areas.

This may be true in the sense that there are still people in Market A areas stuck with only 20CN ADSL1 which I think does cost more for the equivalent on 21CN ADSL2+. Plusnet's response on this subject tends to be rather vague and can probably be as true or false as you want to twist it.

Today Ofcom have released their draft statement on the new regulations, with the wholesale price of 40/10 FTTC to be regulated (everywhere) down to whatever Ofcom think BT's costs for it are.