cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet presence at my local exchange, non availability of super fast broadband.

barcamessi10
Dabbler

Plusnet presence at my local exchange, non availability of super fast broadband.

Hello guys

I am just trying better to understand about the provision of my fibre broadband. Some of you may have noticed another post from me relating to the massive speed loss I have incurred in the switch from Talk Talk to Plusnet.

I am certainly no expert but am on a steep and fast learning curve.

I understand what LLU is however I am confused to as what part Plusnet play regarding LLU at my local exchange which is Selkirk in the Scottish Borders.

When I moved to Selkirk a year ago and was sourcing a broadband provider, Plusnet, my first choice was not an option because it seemingly did not provide a service in my area. I therefore went with Talk Talk however after a contract renewal review had a look and Plusnet was now an option so I decided to switch.

Then my problems began with the speed issues so I am trying to learn a bit.

My understanding is that LLU enables providers such as Plusnet to have software/hardware in exchanges which enables them to utilise the BT Openreach  "last mile" and provide various broadband services in their own name.

Now I am unclear to as if Plusnet is an LLU provider in my local exchange, Selkirk?

I have used a resource  called Sam Knows and it indicates that only Sky and Talk Talk (my previous provider) have a LLU presence in the Selkirk exchange. Forgive me if my wording is not as good as it should be but if Plusnet does not have a LLU presence in my exchange then how does it provide a broadband service to me?

Furthermore could it be that the speed issues relating to the switch from Talk Talk (LLU presence at Selkirk) to Plusnet (LLU or what) be connected to what the set up is at Selkirk exchange or perhaps elsewhere?

Finally another twist is that super fast broadband is at capacity in Selkirk and not available to new customers from any provider including BT. I guess this is an Openreach issue but there appears to be no way of finding out waiting time progress etc. It says on  the broadband checker that FTTP is available on the Selkirk exchange but (disregard any cost implications) Openreach say it is not. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading and all feedback welcome but especially for those with Plusnet connections.

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Plusnet presence at my local exchange, non availability of super fast broadband.

Thoughts -rather than looking at out of date information from Sam Knows - ironicallu oy doesn't know as much as it should, and does not like updating its source of information! PN have been part of BT since 2007 and have used the BTW network for many years, and not LLU as it did before BT acquired it.

LLU applies more on the phone ADSL side, all suppliers of FTTC use Openreach lines and the cabinets in the FTTC bit.

Going back to your original thread, I and others gae advice as to possible causes for the slower speed. You need to be patient and/or work through the possible causes

HTH

PS a better source of how all this broadband stuff works can be found over at Kitz.

barcamessi10
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet presence at my local exchange, non availability of super fast broadband.

I really appreciate the response.

I was/am aware that Plusnet is part of the BT family.

I appreciate your comments re LLU and now understand the Plusnet position relating to their use of the BTW network.

Unfortunately time is of the essence, 14 day cooling off period to avoid exit fees etc etc. so time not on my side.

I have just this morning spoken with an Openreach engineer at my local exchange (5mins from my house) and also at length with very helpful and seemingly knowledgeable person at BT Technical support (winged it as an old customer) and "believe" I have the cause of my speed downgrade problems. I will post more about this on my other thread over the weekend.

Thanks for your help and support.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I look forward to further updates.

However, I believe in PN's T&C's, the 14 day cancelation applies from the date of order.

You say your exchange is a mile away, yet the DSL checker gives quite low ADSL extimates, suggesting it is farther than that. That said, for FTTC it is the distance to the Cabinet that counts for FTTC, and as you say, your speeds should be better.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The 14 day cancellation period starts the day after the order was placed.

eta the exact wording taken from my confirmation email...

When you joined Plusnet, you accepted that you have up to 14 days from tomorrow to cancel your order.

barcamessi10
Dabbler

Browni, thanks, very interesting having checked my email do not seem to have have any trace of confirmation email following my online order, one referring to a question I did not ask, one referring to my phone transfer, one confirming my router is on the way etc etc. I have asked for a copy. 

Anyway could always switch to BT and get up to £300 back for cancellation fees incurred.

Seriously thinking of ditching broadband completely. Do I really need it and the aggro? When in hospital for long period had  my tablet/laptop tethered to my smartphone using Smarty  (3) unlimited data package, all for £20 quid a month. Ok its 4G but month to month contract so no silly long term commitment and I can even cast my phone to my TV. Happy days.

Thanks again your input is appreciated.

barcamessi10
Dabbler

Mustrum. Thanks for your wise words they are sincerely valued however I think I know a bit about where I live.

I was actually wrong when I said the exchange was a mile away it is in fact less than 500 metres walk away.

The cabinet which serves me is around 100 metres away from my house although the "last mile" of copper cable runs for around 350 metres to get to it.

The fibre part of the journey is around 300 metres up the road from the cabinet to the exchange.

What this actually means I have no real idea but I know what I got with my speed from one day to another and things simply are not right.

Thanks again.