cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet or BT internet?

milkyberly7

Plusnet or BT internet?

Moving house at the end of the month, looking for recommendations for internet. BT and Plusnet only credible options. Looks like Plusnet are cheaper but the equipment is crappier. Anyone got any expletive with either a customer service? Reliability? Delivered speeds?

4 REPLIES 4
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Plusnet or BT internet?

Why not go for best of both worlds. Go plusnet as the ISP and buy the BT router online. You can set up a BT smart hub to work a pnet connection by changing the authentication details in the hub.

Speeds will be the same for both, and despite all the issues posted on here with service, as ever you'll only hear about bad experience on a public forum, and pnet do tend to do better on the customer service side as far as official figures go.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"pnet do tend to do better on the customer service side as far as official figures go. "

I wonder if mostly those with a  bad experience respond to "official figures"? Define official figures. Those with the opposite don't bother. A bit like forums, mostly posts from customers with perceived poor service. e.g. "you'll only hear about bad experience on a public forum"

You only have to look at the fake official figures, relating to the current pantomime, as an example!

I personally have no regrets about leaving PN for BT. I have found their CS to be excellent, in spite of offshore call centres.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I'm with @newagetraveller, I switched a few years ago from Pnet to BT and am very satisfied. Any issues I have had have been dealt with by UK based call centres and call backs have happened as promised. In the last 18 months I have had two significant outages. One an overhead cable break that needed three or four Openreach visits over a two week period to track down ( each time the testing process healed the break, but it came back a couple of days later - probably when the wind blew the trees back into the cable!). The second when a neighbour put a stake through a 20 pair underground cable that needed council approvals to close the road. That took a week to fix. 

In both cases BT provided me with unlimited data on my mobile for the duration of the break, and supplied a 4G WiFi hub with unlimited data. In the first case delivery of the 4G hub took 24 hours and I used my phone as a hotspot until it came. In the second event - because I had the 4G hub already it was up and running in <2 hours from the telephone call.

BT are more expensive, but if continuity of service matters their offering is far superior.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Don't get me wrong, BT do have a good service. Not saying they don't, just most customers of any company have decent service. You only hear about the bad ones so to me asking on a public forum for opinion on a companies service ratings you'll overwhelmingly hear bad.

Me, I've been a PN customer for probably going on 10 years without any major issues. Only 1 during a house move so my experience with PN has been good. I was with BT before PN and didn't have any issues there either, I moved for the price.

Openreach deal with faults for both companies, so there shouldn't really be a major difference in that side. Often delayed fault fixes, as long as they're raised properly are openreach issues so it wouldn't matter which ISP you're with.

Pn call centres are in Sheffield, Leeds and Darlington so thats the same uk centres too.

Generally speaking, main complaints here are holding times on the phones (though this forum is pretty good for problems) and the infamous billing engine-though most of them the staff will make adjustments to correct what goes wrong.