cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet ip profile different to bt wholesale

gitbags
Grafter

Plusnet ip profile different to bt wholesale

Pretty much says it all in the title, My plusnet profile is up to 70-80mb max (line speed 78mb) while my bt wholesale profile is upto 48mb max (line speed 48mb). So which is correct? I'd rather the higher of the two  Wink Any chance someone could chime in?
cheers.
14 REPLIES 14
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Plusnet ip profile different to bt wholesale

It's the BT profile that's the correct one. Ours should match that really, but unless the BT profile increases you won't see any increase in speeds no matter what ours is set to.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gitbags
Grafter

bugger, so my line speed estimate was way off then.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It does look like your line is connecting below the estimate, it's worth running through the faults checker so we can investigate: https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gitbags
Grafter

Well I've run though it, bt wholessale speed test threw up a fault on test 3 (odd it never has given me errors before).
gitbags
Grafter

Well I've just had a bt engineer out to test my line and he's found nothing wrong my end, so my estimate was out unfortunately  Sad And for one more dig in the ribs i've dropped a few more mb in speed since he changed my master socket to a new one (mine was about 30 years old apparently)  But at least I know my lines healthy. 
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet wouldn't book an engineer if nothing was wrong from what they could see, so your estimate is not off you have a fault it  sounds like the Engineer wasn't good enough or bothered enough to find and fix the problem i would request another one hopefully they send someone that sorts it for you.   
gitbags
Grafter

Well he tested my sync speed, phone line, replaced my master socket, informed me my cables underground and reset the dslam. He also mapped out my cabinet as being 400m away on the main road, which according to the service graphs bt issue I should expect up to 50mbs (which it was till his visit now its closer to 40mbs  ::)). But I'll be honest I've no idea what else he could do.
Terranova667
Pro

So all he really did was reset DLM and hoped that fixes it,  it's not solving the problem He could have put you on a different line pair that would have been a start
as a i said request another visit state the engineer sent only did a DLM reset which has not solved your issue and hopefully next time you get one that does some real fault resolution. 
gitbags
Grafter

Well besides running some diagnostics that was pretty much all he did. Should he have tried a different pair if his equipment found no line faults other than slow sync speed? It would be nice if a member of staff could chime in.
flamingbadger
Dabbler

Had exactly this problem even down to the 50Mbps line speed. It turned out to be a faulty port on the DSLAM.  See last post here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,149047.0.html
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: gitbags
He also mapped out my cabinet as being 400m away on the main road, which according to the service graphs bt issue I should expect up to 50mbs

Even if I were to fly like a crow, my cabinet is well over 400m from me and I sync at over 70Mb/s (my line length is probably around 550m or so), I think the BT engineer (or his graph) is rather pessimistic about what should be achievable on a normal copper line.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gitbags
Grafter

I've not long received an email stating the engineer has said my line is too long to achieve the speeds I was estimated  Undecided
I would quite like to know the details of his report if possible, especially as he thought my problem was no broadband.
flamingbadger
Dabbler

The first two Openreach engineers that came out to me said  "50Mbps is all you are going to get."  In my particular case, I know the line is only 200 metres because I watched them trace the pairs when they first installed Infinity a few years back so cable length was never an issue for me.  It is worth bearing in mind though that cables can be routed oddly adding distance to your line even though the physical distance between you and the cabinet can be quite small.  If you can get the SNR values out of your modem/router - that might be an indication of line quality and length.
One thing the third engineer who fixed my problem did let slip is that Openreach engineers are being encouraged not to get involved in network issues.  They run a local line test and then get out. I think I got the union man because he seemed quite keen to use my fault as an example to his managers of engineers being sent to site and only doing basic line checks and leaving while there is still a fault condition leading to revisits.
Good luck with it all anyway and let us know how you get on Smiley

Terranova667
Pro

Quote from: gitbags
Well besides running some diagnostics that was pretty much all he did. Should he have tried a different pair if his equipment found no line faults other than slow sync speed? It would be nice if a member of staff could chime in.

Some engineers lie about what they find in their tests, I had an issue last August where my upload dropped by more than half, ( from 10Mb to 4Mb my estimate was 6Mb) the engineer that came out to fix the problem did a bunch of tests and swore blind to me it would never go back up no matter what he did, a month or so later it went back up on it's own to it's current 8Mb not as high as it once was but it did increase, that says it all really.